City of Light & Aesthetics closer don't stack?

the_jeff

Chieftain
I'm posting remotely from work, so forgive me if my details are a little off.

Playing as France with Aesthetics filled, I managed to theme the Louvre. I got a theming bonus of 16, and a steam achievement for getting the "maximum bonus of +16." Understand that in Civ, "doubling" usually just means +100%, the regular bonus of +8 should have been either +200% for +24 or *2^2 for 32. It looked like the Globe Theatre doubled twice to +8.

Does the bonus not stack, or is +16 just a hard-coded limit regardless of circumstances, or am I just missing something?

The french UA and Aesthetics stack (which make this SP a very important thing for France). Normally, the Louvre has a theming bonus of 4 (not 8). With the finisher, it's twice (8) and if it's in the french capital, you have twice this (16 hence the achievment).

The regular bonus is +4 (not +8), and then mulitplied by two and two once again, which gives a total of 16.
So, yeah, it stacks, and quite nicely, too. ;)

That makes sense. I must have already had aesthetics closed the other time I pulled it off, so I saw the +8.

So theming bonus is basically +1 per work in the building then?

Thanks for the clarification.

Thats debatable. The musketeers are the most powerful unit until the industrial era. And their UI and UA can make you tons of tourism. Sure, it's not as good in harder difficulties as it can get hard to get those good culture wonders, but with a bit of luck, you can get most of them on lower ones.

Musketeers are most powerful by the numbers, which isn't saying much. Just within the musket UU's the Janissaries and Minutemen are both clearly superior units.

Old France was flexible and could be used in a wide variety of interesting ways. New France is... chucking dice at a wall until something happens. New France is craps.

France is awesome, for culture wins (it has become super easy for me to win that way since I do it a lot.) The Chateau dosent require any special gameplay unlike Brazilwood Camps which make you want to keep all the useless jungle around and Moai which can be easily interfered with by resources to prevent large amounts of culture. City of Light can give you large amounts of Tourism at a constant rate unlike Carnival which is more, but only in max 15 turn spurts every 200 turns or so. France is more reliable for Culture than other civs.

Even when not Brazil; jungle is NOT useless; it's +2 science per tile as soon as you get a University.

The problem with being in the center of the jungle started with G&K expansion with the delay of Trade posts to Guilds. (It's better for your capital to be on the edge of jungle than right in the middle of it in the standard ancient era start)

For optimum use, Chateu requires some care on placement (unlike the Morracan equalivent, you aren't allowed to place two Chateus right next to each other) and guessing which tiles don't have hidden strategic resources.

new france does have a bad synergy, with the UA suggesting playing tall and wonder hoarding, while the UI promotes wide.
chateaus are very powerful though. if you always settle near a lux, by late game you could have 9 tourism per city. and strategics usually don't spawn next to a luxury, so you don't lose much on important tiles.

new france does have a bad synergy, with the UA suggesting playing tall and wonder hoarding, while the UI promotes wide.
chateaus are very powerful though. if you always settle near a lux, by late game you could have 9 tourism per city. and strategics usually don't spawn next to a luxury, so you don't lose much on important tiles.

I think, together, the UA and UI encourage strategic settling. You need other cities anyway in order to build things while your capital is wonder hording. The UI encourages you to go for cities with lots of luxuries nearby.

Top Bottom