Quick Questions and Answers

Do you get a smaller warmonger score if you denounce before declaring war?
How long do you have to wait.

In the current game no one hates anyone and there are also no friends. So that is not relevant.

Why is my diplomatic victory not working? I've advanced to the Atomic Era, World Congress has changed to UN - says you need 40 votes for diplomatic victory. I have 42, am elected World Leader but ...nothing.

Now says 28 more turns till next World Leader proposal!! WTF, I may as well conquer the rest of the world or go into space in that time!

It's a bit awkward.
You need to time the advance to Atomic Era just BEFORE the last World Congress meeting.
If you advance right after the meeting you lose a lot of turns.

This is because the first UN meeting in Atomic Era will be to vote the World Congress proposals and then, 10 turns later, vote for diplomatic victory.

The World Congress meets every 20 turns in Modern Era. (normal speed I think)
Advance to Atomic Era 18 turns before World Congress meeting -> 28 turns to diplomatic vote
Advance to Atomic Era 2 turns before World Congress meeting -> 12 turns to diplomatic vote

Yeah, basically it was something like advance to atomic era, vote me world leader, wait 10 turns, vote on last set of WC proposals, wait another 20 turns and elect me world leader again => Victory. It was a very boring hour of clicking next turn, and I was only a few turns away from cultural victory it took so long.

Do you get a smaller warmonger score if you denounce before declaring war?
No. It is just an opportunity for a small positive modifier for denouncing the same AI and is independent of your warmonger score. But if another AI likes your victim, then denouncing is a small penalty on top of the large warmongering penalties.

How long do you have to wait?
You can denounce on the same turn you DOW. Sometimes I like to wait a turn just to gauge how much the AI will be missed. If I plan to let the civ live, I might skip denouncing because some of them hate that more than losing cities!

Denouncing on the same turn is popular enough that there is mod that takes care of that detail for you.

AFAIK, the only reduction to warmonger score is for civs being at war with the AI you are taking cities from. It is cheesy, but for a civ I will be eliminating, I bribe them (at any cost) to DOW everyone they will, then I denounce, and then I DOW (which cancels the bribes). That entire sequence can all be done from a single dialog screen.

I see, that explains why I didn't find any conclusive information. Because it didn't exist.

It seems we'll have to wait for Civ 6 to get the surprise war feature.

I play the "Hormigas Enhanced Map Pack (43 Civs) (v 1)", and although the mod is fine, there is a general problem with the "intelligence" of the civs
- 1) they can't settle on new world (America), even if theyy have the tech and sent ships, but they send no ground units to explore there and no settlers. This stupidity is so extreme, that (i.e.) the English don't settle in Skandinavia, even there is free good room. The always fight against the French instead develop their empire.
- 2) the AI builds no lighthouses and harbours in costal cities, even if there is resource fish, so two food get lost for those cities.

There are some other goofiness, but these are what I feel most bad.

So my question ist

1) is there a mod or other modification around, where this is fixed, where the AI is mire "intelligent"?
2) in what files (xml ?) the AI civs related definitions for research und building strings are to find?

I have the comunity patch and played for a while. went in the other day no mouse scroll so i could not pick civ. removed Celtic civ mod and scroll returned. chose Ted Rosevelt twice and each time no settler. anyone else have this prob?

- 1) they can't settle on new world (America), even if theyy have the tech and sent ships, but they send no ground units to explore there and no settlers. This stupidity is so extreme, that (i.e.) the English don't settle in Skandinavia, even there is free good room. The always fight against the French instead develop their empire.
- 2) the AI builds no lighthouses and harbours in costal cities, even if there is resource fish, so two food get lost for those cities.

The AI is always slow to settle far away continents. On Terra maps it's quite easy to take up all of the good sites especially if you bee-line for navigation, on immortal. I don't play deity but maybe it's about the same.

I've seen AI building both lighthouses and harbours. I guess you could get a mod that more prioritizes those buildings, or even gives the AI those for free.

There is no point of settling new continents if you go for quick victory. The cities planted will always be too late unless you play Polynesia and beeline for good city sites. As for preventing AI from settling stupid cities, you can just block them since once they settle stupid cities, they will start coveting your land and eventually DoW on deity.

I believe I have seen people in Let's Plays counting the squares to predict where a caravan will be next turn, in order to be correctly positioned to plunder it. How far does a caravan move each turn, and do the city squares at each end just count as one?

Also, if I'm already at war with someone and stand on their trade route, can the caravan pass by me so I miss it, or will I automatically plunder it as is "passes"?

I found plenty of info on trade routes and plundering, but not these exact questions.

Thanks in advance.

Caravans travel 2 hexes per turn.
Cargo Ships travel 4 hexes.

To plunder these trade units you need to move a military unit over the hex they are currently passing through and perform a free pillage action.

You can also position your army in the way of these units (on the trade route) and they will come to you and be pillaged automatically.
For them to be pillaged on the enemy's turn the unit needs to pass through or end its movement on a tile you occupy. They do not get pillaged in the starting hex, only in the hexes they are moving into (if you end your movement on a trade unit, it will not get pillaged).

You need to see the trade unit to view the full route.

I can only answer half your question, as the caravans move to fast for me to ever try and catch them. If you spot the trade unit once, then its return trip will be through that exact same tile again in a couple turns.
Also, if I'm already at war with someone and stand on their trade route, can the caravan pass by me so I miss it, or will I automatically plunder it as is "passes"?
You will automatically plunder the trade unit when it passes through your unit. If you spot a trade unit, and have extra movement, you can move onto and pillage (does not cost movement, so a free action). When I move and stop on the trade unit -- because I have run out of movement points -- then I have to wait for it to come through a second time.

EDIT:
Caravans travel 2 hexes per turn.
Cargo Ships travel 4 hexes.
I am sure it is faster than that! Also, roads and rails extend land routes, so making them move faster. And I think there is an era modifier as well. If I had to guess, it would be one leg of the trip every two turns, so a round trip every two turns.

You need to see the trade unit to view the full route.
Good tip! There is an option to show your routes, same place as your turn on the hex grid and show resources, and it applies to opponent trade routes as well.

Hope this hasn't been asked, didn't see the answer on a search.

= PROTECTIONISM... is it +2 happy per TYPE, or +2 happy per INSTANCE, of each luxury?

I am assuming type, as instance would be crazy, but one can hope.

Thanks guys! Combining the information from the two replies I was able to:

Assume the caravan would move two hexes and move my unit to one hex from where it would be. Then on the next turn, move onto caravan (in range of enemy city), pillage, then escape :)

I was also of the impression caravans moved a lot faster, but I guess there are often at least some roads involved - there were none here. I'm thinking that they are not affected by terrain (and that is consistent with how Ansive expressed it) and so move somewhat like scouts - which might explain why they appear to move faster than they do.

I am sure it is faster than that! Also, roads and rails extend land routes, so making them move faster. And I think there is an era modifier as well. If I had to guess, it would be one leg of the trip every two turns, so a round trip every two turns.

This is incorrect. While roads extend land route range, the caravans do not travel more than 2 hexes per turn regardless of route or era. Likewise, cargo ships always travel 4 hexes per turn.

You could have taken a look before you stuck your foot in it. :mad:

Not that it will matter in another ... 106 days! :bounce:
Though it IS possible that trade routes will use the same mechanics (movement wise).

Hope this hasn't been asked, didn't see the answer on a search.

= PROTECTIONISM... is it +2 happy per TYPE, or +2 happy per INSTANCE, of each luxury?

I am assuming type, as instance would be crazy, but one can hope.

It's like you expect. You get 6 per unique luxury instead of 4.
It's pretty good, too bad the policies leading to it are kind of underwhelming.

While roads extend land route range, the caravans do not travel more than 2 hexes per turn regardless of route or era. Likewise, cargo ships always travel 4 hexes per turn.
Do you have a citation? Is that in civlopedia? I frequently have an entire route in sight, and the trade units are moving faster than that.

EDIT: Paying more attention, I can affirm that Jaybe is correct about land trade route units just moving two hexes per turn. I am quite embarrassed that the movement rate is so slow, yet I had not picked up on the pattern!

is it possible to play the game until a certain tech tree period?
I mean, I want to start the game from the ancient era but no further from the medieval era. So all players in the game can reach maximum this era.
Little messy explanation sorry, but is this possible?

Top Bottom