Worst things barbs did to you

My dumbest move with barbs though, was letting a MoV get captured early in a Venice game. I thought it would just get taken back to the camp like a Prophet. Nope, they go poof.. Live and learn.

Yeah, that sucks.

In a recent MP game as Babylon I had one come out of the fog and take my UA writing GS :cry:

Was hanging by a thread in what ended up a huge science race right up until the spaceship.

Once in multiplayer I have once sent all my army on the frontline (very difficult war), and in the meantime one damn barbarian horseman appeared under my capital out of nowhere.

Oh my God.

This bastard managed to burn academy, manufacture, road creating most of my City Connections, destroy caravan, capture worker, destroy two luxury sources and few more improvements.

I lost that game.

Wow this was really a big damage. maybe barbarians should have a promotion too, like regular soldiers. this would really be fun.:D

I feel like a random barbarian horseman ruining everything is just one of those Civ V Moments that everyone needs to experience at least once.

My dumbest move with barbs though, was letting a MoV get captured early in a Venice game. I thought it would just get taken back to the camp like a Prophet. Nope, they go poof.. Live and learn.

Thanks...I guess I hadn't thought about that. And I have been taking chances when I send them out...assuming that at worst, they would go live in a Barb camp, saving me a few gpt, until I went to rescue them.... Though I suppose I would have to also worry that some other civ might "rescue" them first....

Not sure what is the worst things the barbs did to me, but in my current game I had a funny scenario which involved barbs.

I was sending a great prophet off to spread my religion, when, to my suprise, it was captured by barbs. I didn't have a whole lot of military in the area to rescue the GP, but I did have an unlikely hero in the area; a missionary that I had just bought nearby(missionaries can be heroes when you have the Heathen Conversion belief)! I sent the missionary to the last known location of the GP. There was an encampment very close by. The missionary converted two different barbarian units(which destroyed the encampment)and rescued the GP. Turns out the barbs had captured another GP, which wasn't mine. The missionary converted that one, too. I couldn't use it, though. Must've been because it was of a different religion.

I've learned to like Heathen Conversion. :D

I was in the middle of a desperate battle with the Huns for control of a contested city. I managed to take the city but was barely holding off the Hunnic counterattack, when suddenly....a wild barbarian appears! I managed to take out the Huns, but they had destroyed my defenses, and the barb ran in and pillaged some gold from my city.

Other than that, I'd say barb horsemen pillaging my brand-new caravans is the most aggravating thing they've done recently.

Barb trireme taking out your cargo ships early game is the worst. Sometimes to get ahead you'll rush the damn things a little before you have enough triremes to adequately protect against barbs. Sometimes the barbs take advantage and suddenly you're behind...

I always play with raging barbarians.

It sets the AI back far more than it sets you back if you know how to defend yourself against them. I see so many captured settlers in their camps. All of those would have been extra cities.

The worst thing barbs have ever done to me was pillage my trade routes. It has happened a lot less recently now I use a unit to patrol a trade route (there really needs to be a patrol function).

Here's my tale.

When playing the Fall of Rome scenario as Western Rome, you're extremely squeezed on gold in the early game. It's struggle to keep units from being disbanded, and you need every unit you can get. Legions (requiring iron) are by far your most powerful units.

One of the social policies that you're forced to pick spawns a group of barbs somewhere in your empire. During one game, I picked that policy when I was barely hanging on by a thread, both economically and militarily. The barbs appeared near Rome and pillaged the roads connecting Rome to the rest of my empire (instant negative gold) and an iron mine (all legions now at half strength).

The end came quickly after that.

Here's my tale.

When playing the Fall of Rome scenario as Western Rome, you're extremely squeezed on gold in the early game. It's struggle to keep units from being disbanded, and you need every unit you can get. Legions (requiring iron) are by far your most powerful units.

One of the social policies that you're forced to pick spawns a group of barbs somewhere in your empire. During one game, I picked that policy when I was barely hanging on by a thread, both economically and militarily. The barbs appeared near Rome and pillaged the roads connecting Rome to the rest of my empire (instant negative gold) and an iron mine (all legions now at half strength).

Didn't you disband the useless roads in north africa? Send workers ther eto remove it and you gain about 20gpt.

Here's my tale.

That's pretty brutal. Fall of Rome is an excellent example of !!losing is fun!!

Then again, I suppose from the Roman perspective everybody who isn't the ERE in the scenario would be a barbarian. :lol:

in early game once a barb stole my settler which took 17 turns for me to build, disappeared in jungle; i guess someone else popped it and didn't return me the unit !!

In a multiplayer game I had my Babylonian GS from writing spawn on top of a barbarian. Needless to say I rage quit... :lol:

in my first ever BNW game i was playing as poland. The aztecs had been giving me their usual crap all game long so I decided to go take a city i wished they hadnt founded. Sent my entire army towards their capital which was separated from my own by a mountain range and jungle. Before i even left numerous barbarians were pounding at my doors but i thought little of it. Next thing i know the barbarian ships show up and they just kept coming along with what must have been half the available barbarian land units. Needless to say they managed to sack my capital which was really not all that horrible considering i let something so silly happen. they just take a little gold then go away

I thought if they sacked your city, they take pretty much the entire gold you have at that point. That happened to me when I forward founded a city and it had multiple barbarian camps nearby, it was swarmed by warriors and I lost 400 gold.

Definitely worst thing was on turn 2, barbs took my settler and Zerg rushed my warrior. I was out on turn 5.

Top Bottom