Middle-Earth:Lord of the Mods (XI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be good for Mordor to have Warg riders. Of course that is because I want to play that civ. ;)

I was wondering. Since you guys are talking about units. Has anyone done a hobbit settler or worker? You would need these for the Hobbit civ.

So that’s how you and The Last Conformist got so many posts, forgot how to edit! j\k :)
Mrtn had a really good idea for a Hobbit worker, actually. But I’m not sure if he plans to follow through on it. At this point however we have more to worry about than just a worker. The entire race only has 3 units available to us, shrinking units down is a must. Any idea for which units we can try?

Mithadan- Yeah Mrtn got it. I try to argue against any points before someone brings it up. Sauron was in power in the time of The Hobbit, as Tolkien hints that is part of the reason of the Misty Mountain Orc uprising. So now if The Last Conformist were to say “That would be Angamrric (sic) cavalry you fool, not Mordorian!”, I would already have explained my stance:).
We could implement embryodeads Dire Wolf (warg) as a in-between Angmar cavalry unit? We do know they were in that area and made ‘alliances’ with the orcs. IIRC, a Warg is much like a wight, spirits that animate wolves?

Originally posted by PCHighway
The entire race only has 3 units available to us, shrinking units down is a must. Any idea for which units we can try?

Just because a couple of my little units have pony tails, doesn't mean you can't use them as hobbits. Either way if you don't, I will certainly add them.

Originally posted by PCHighway
So that’s how you and The Last Conformist got so many posts, forgot how to edit! j\k :)
Mrtn had a really good idea for a Hobbit worker, actually. But I’m not sure if he plans to follow through on it. At this point however we have more to worry about than just a worker. The entire race only has 3 units available to us, shrinking units down is a must. Any idea for which units we can try?

:lol: Actually it's by doing what I'm doing now. responding. Though a few dozen are probably from avoiding that nasty edit button. To be serious though, I just didn't want anyone to miss my question in the second post as it was a few hours later. :)

I have more units than just 3 for my mod. I think Kindred's kender units will fit fine with ME as well. Not all hobbits had short hair did they? As for shrinking units, I don't really see anything wrong with that. Maybe some on mini pony's for cavalry types as well?

:love: I wish I had a hobbit for a pet. They're so cute and they like to cook and drink. The perfect pet. They can talk more than me, now that might get annoying.

Originally posted by Kindred72
Just because a couple of my little units have pony tails, doesn't mean you can't use them as hobbits. Either way if you don't, I will certainly add them.
I don't have a very big problem with the pony tails. I do have a problem with that stone-thrower-staff-thingy, though. It may fit perfectly in a Dragonlance mod, but I can't see it in Middle Earth.
If we use the spearkender we would have 4 units, but the basic problem remains, someone's gonna have to shrink a lot of units, and I fear I know who that someone is...:cry:

Re: Easterling and Southron cavalry, being bereft of my books, I've taken the liberty of quoting the following from Lalaith's Middle-earth Science Pages:

The Swarthy Men apparently never acquired a centralised realm but remained restricted to tribal territories and petty kingdoms, frequently in conflict with each other. But during the War of the Ring their troops appeared remarkably uniform, and it seems that Sauron had finally established a central authority among them. Repeatedly, their dresses and banners were described as scarlet: "wild Southron men with red banners, shouting with harsh tongues " (RK) - "Southrons in scarlet" (RK) - "swarthy men in red" with "scarlet robes" (TT). At least one chieftain of a cavalry unit used the emblem of a "black serpent upon scarlet" (RK) as his standard. Even their tents were "black or sombre red." (RK)

Confirmation of cavalry and suggestions for civ colour all in one! (Swarthy Men are, essentially, the same as Haradrim, altho Lalaith identifies them with swarty groups up north in the First Age - I'm not sure if this was intended by the Professor.)

And as for the Easterlings:

While the Wainrider empire may not have lasted that long, their culture survived throughout the TA. Even as late as the 38th century, their familiar vehicles could be seen: "Out of the East Men were moving endlessly: swordsmen, spearmen, bowmen upon horses, chariots of chieftains and laden wains." (FR)

Need I say horse archers?

Very useful info and for the units. :goodjob:

What civ would the Wainriders be with? (can someone point me to full list of civs for the mod, if there is one?)

Mithadan (and others) how about the Huskarl Alpha converted from AoK as a half-orc?

The idea for a hobbit worker PCH was talking about is to shrink a worker from American Conquest. I prefer the more colourfull french peasant, but the spanish could work too. Which do people prefer?

I'd be happy with either but probably the French one represents hobbits better. The Spanish looks too slave like.

Originally posted by mrtn
Mithadan (and others) how about the Huscarl Alpha converted from AoK as a half-orc?
Look like a great choice to me!
Originally posted by mrtn
The idea for a hobbit worker PCH was talking about is to shrink a worker from American Conquest. I prefer the more colourfull french peasant, but the spanish could work too. Which do people prefer?
I suggest the French peasant, because the clothing looks a lot more like a Hobbit waistcoat (although I guess farmers don't typically go out working the field in their wastcoats -- even so, with the waistcoat it is really nice and hobbity).

Originally posted by the mormegil
What about Spanish peasant for Farmer (worker) and French peasant for that Hobbit Scout thingy?
Not such a bad idea, although I don't know if the animations would be right.

Actually: unless we are using the graphic for another civ, we should probably re-size utahjazz7's European scout unit for our Hobbit Scout thingy. (?)

Personally I think the English peasant is best, the only problem is obviously the shoes would be more visible (which is a bad thing).

The Last Conformist: That gives us a use for the Keshik graphics at least.

Kindred72: There are references to the length of hair for Hobbits, and while adverse to having ponytails on Hobbit spearman, I’ll live it down. Just doesn’t give me a ‘Hobbit’ feel :undecide:.

Mithadan: I thought we were going to the European Scout for all mannish civs as a explore unit. We could shrink it anyway though, the Hobbits really just need to look smaller after all.

Going to post what I think the Hobbit unit line should be later today, then tomorrow I’ll merge them all together so Mrtn can exert himself and comment on them. :p

Tjedge1, I was messing with you about the edits :).

The mormegil: Unless I am much mistaken, Cossack foot units walk, not run. It would look quite strange having a small foot unit walking two squares at a time, not to mention how much more work that will take.

Isengard: What civ traits? Mrtn wants Scientific and Religious as Saruman was the leader of the White Council before he went evil, as well as being (originally) cultured.
I disagree to this however, as the only other civs we have as religious are the two ‘wood’ elves civs. Thats the Sindar and Moriquendi. While we have a lot of Militaristic civs, religious just doesn’t fit for me, so I’m calling a vote.

What should Isengards civ traits be?

Who wants Scientific and Militaristic?

Who wants Scientific and Religious?

Who wants Scientific and Industrious?

Who wants some other combination?

(Edit, got you The Last Conformist, added Ind.)

Yeah, I'll go for Sci/Ind. too. Y'know, building all those smoking furnaces down below and what not. Besides, Saruman was more irreligious than religious!

I concur. Isengard was one big mine type thingy so Industrious.

EDIT: PCH - Isn't it possible to speed up the animation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom