Civ2 vs Civ3. Battle of the millennia?

Civ2 or Civ3

• Civ3 by a mile.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Civ3 by a nose.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Dunno. Doesn't seem like a big difference.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Civ2 by a nose.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Civ2 by a mile.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Forget 'em both. I'm going back to Civ:CTP.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

ejday

King
So, which one is better?

Civ2 or Civ3?

This thread got some play in the general forums a while ago, but since the PC folk are dusting us in version playable anyway, I thought I'd specifically ask the Mac folk -- those souls specifically paying for the latest version.

Personally, I've played so much Civ3, I can't really remember the details of how different the Civ2 engine was. I remember there were a few things about Civ3 that annoyed me, but that's to be expected. All in all, I do like Civ3 a bit more...

Civ3 by a mile. What can be done w/ Civ2 can, and will, be done w/ Civ3. In my opinion, Civ2's victory paths (conquest & AC) severally limited the game for most people. Civ3's multiple victory paths allow for more depth. Now, I enjoyed Civ2 a great deal; however, once Civ3 made it to the Mac, I've yet to play a serious Civ2 game. My only game has been a succession game w/ my brother-in-law. And, its no where near finishing.

I say Civ3 by a mile. (Contingent upon the editor's much-belated arrival.) Improvements over 2 are really too numerous to count.

Civ 3 by a mile...I find it MUCH more challenging. The addition of the culture concept has changed the game substantially. Was doing well at Civ 2 at the higher levels...been playing 3 since July and am still just getting comfortable at Warlord!

Originally posted by Beamup
I say Civ3 by a mile. (Contingent upon the editor's much-belated arrival.) Improvements over 2 are really too numerous to count.
But only 1400 feet without the editor.
I think we need to get a cheering section in get Brad pumped up...

Here's a question:
The editor will extend the life of the game, renew it even. But how many of you will be distracted by arrival of MoO3, another killer strategy game?

My distraction will be caused by Europa Universalis II, come the New Year. The more I learn about MoO3, the more interested I become. My real problem is hard drive space, this old iMac of mine has just 6 GB. I'm considering an eMac purchase or wait for a higher end model this coming summer.

Oh, I'll be distracted. Of course, we have no really reliable information as to when we'll actually get MOOIII. There are some indications that it might be shortly after the Windows release, but then again it might not.

I actually liked CTP better when I considersome of the animations, different units and different wonders (particularly futuristic ones.. What can I say.. I'm an Anime freak, and the concept of running around in a Mech amuses me!) More cultures to play.. and the cultures, if playing on earth, started where they were SUPPOSED to start.

Comparing the two, Civ2 or Civ3 I'd have to say Civ2. Why? I got what I paid for. If I wanted to change things to spice up the game, I could. I like Civ III very much, I'm still in the middle of a rather nasty Diety scenario based on Marla's earth Map. But going to the kids' Windows machine to use the editor is getting very very old. Why? I could play the Mongols, and when I plaid them on Earth, the Mongols would start in the Gobi where they belonged, NOT in Washington, DC NOT in Rome, Not in London, and Certainly Not in Southern Africa. Why? I love it when a certain Pirate Royale swaggers across the screen dressed as my slightly in the cups military advisor and singinging!

If there ever is a Civ IV I have a few requests I'd make....
Civ Placement built into the bloody thing!
Bring back the other Civs or allow us to add them!
HILLSIDE Terracing!!!!
Slightly Different Tech Trees.... I guess it's partially because I'm a big James Burke fan as well, but I think the Tech Tree's need to be redone, or allow a random element... Such as the Oops Factor to come into play. F'rinstance.. Sure the Chinese had printing and gunpowder before Europe... But the Chinese mindset and the European mindset were completely different.

Just started playing Civ3 and while I certainly enjoy learning all the new aspects of Civ3 (and have a long ways to go), I don't think I'm having any more fun that when I played Civ2. Right now, I'm a lot more enthusiastic about Civ3, but eventually, (sadly) that too shall pass. (and I'll DEFINITELY be distracted by MOO3!)

Civ 2 by a mile at the moment.. but ask me again in 12 months.... with a Civ3 Editor and PTW then I'd be very likely to change my opinion.

What made Civ2 so compelling and replayable were the number of quality scenarios made by Civ2 fans all around the world. I hope this proves to be true for Civ3 Mac-users once we get what we need ! :)

i have a bunch of Civ2 scenarios that remain unfinished in the hope I can start to remake them for Civ3 before too long... a big 'WW3' one (1961-1990), and another based on Isaac Asimov's 'Foundation' novels.. etc etc

Civ 2 by a mile, I have yet to be able to play a civ 3 game untill the modern age (and I use a reasonably new G4...) as it allways crash sometime around the advent of gunpowder.

Besides the civ 3 editor can't do half of what the civ 2 editor could from the start (and not even one fourth of what the MGE editor can do).

Cities are almost never taken over by the good players (I still did it when I played as it was the way I felt things should be done) as it is more lucrative to simply raze and rebuild them in civ 3, an option which extremely unrealistic.
There have been extremely few total destructions of a city that has surrendered in reality, in fact the only one I can think of is Carthage.

These are only a few of the heap of things that are either unfeasable from a gameplay perspective or extremely historically inaccurate.

Last but not least the feel I get from civ 3 is more similar to the one I get from Age of Empires, and that is not what I want from a turnbased game forermly known for sticking close to history (something I needen't say Age of Empires and it's many clones is tottaly lacking)...

And this btw, is comming from someone who during civ 3's development was glued to his screen, following the discussions in the forums, watching new screenshots, reading all the weekly updates, I really wanted this game to be great, but now that I've tested it I'm not sure it ever will be :(

Oh well enough ranting, I'd love for the game designers to prove me wrong in future versions...

Originally posted by dojoboy
AoE2, among other games, is on my Christmas list. How good is it?

It's okay, but gets repetitive after a while, once you've played the various nations... bit like Civ 3 ;)

Combat Mission is on my list :)

http://www.battlefront.com/

Henrik, if your game keeps crashing with the advent of gunpowder, there is something wrong with either your software or your computer. It should be pretty clear that this problem isn't widespread. Have you considered downloading new software, or exchanging your disk?

I agree that razing cities isn't realistic, but then neither are railroads that travel at the speed of light. I don't care about civ placement because "historical" placement is almost always inaccurate (and therefore unrealistic), not to mention that it leaves some civs with much better starting positions than others. I want a competitive game, and I prefer Civ3 by a lot simply because it's much more challenging. As long as I'm challenged, the games don't get boring, so I feel no need for any scenarios at all. I played some scenarios in Civ2, as well as OCC, mainly because the basic game became so easy and predictable. However, I can understand why someone who likes MP, or someone who likes the romance of scenarios, would rather play Civ2 (until the editor comes out).

dojoboy, AoE (with Age of Conquerors included, don't forget) is a great game. I love it, use the Editor a lot and return to it when inspired by historical novels of the Dark Ages-mediaeval era. There are some great units unique to the various civs -- I enjoy the British archers, and making up Robin Hood scenarios to include them. The Byzantines are great, too. [maybe its a 'B' thing]

Another thing that I like is the naval warfare. Later on -- with technological advancements -- you can have bombard cannons and towers, so it gets a bit 'Barbary pirates'-like.

The main downside is that the main units, and buildings -- like Civ3 -- are differentiated solely by colour. When you play Star Wars GB & Clone Campaigns, you get to see the same game engine at full stretch with heaps of distinguishing features to create different atmospheres between the antagonists. 2¢.

Top Bottom