Gods of Old

St Valamir

Chieftain
I check here oft for info on the game - but no one has said much of anything about my favorite addition in BtS:

Gods of Old!

BtS is fun and all without this mod loaded, but since trying it I can't make myself play without it. It must appeal to me on an old 1984 D&D geek level or something.

I love the added level of planning and it does not seem unbalanced to me (but I am no expert).

So I am just asking, anyone else addicted to the mod?

I love the fact that religions actually are differentiated and somewhat strategic in this mod. I suppose they figured that nobody would be offended by their portrayal of ancient mesopotamian deities.

I was wondering if it has any bugs like Next War is full of.

Apparently not. Can you outline what the different victory condition is?

Something about destroying all the other shrines isn't it?

I check here oft for info on the game - but no one has said much of anything about my favorite addition in BtS:

Gods of Old!

BtS is fun and all without this mod loaded, but since trying it I can't make myself play without it. It must appeal to me on an old 1984 D&D geek level or something.

I love the added level of planning and it does not seem unbalanced to me (but I am no expert).

So I am just asking, anyone else addicted to the mod?

Heck yeah, I've just played this and Next War Mod so far. I'm hoping that some clever modder might even combine the two, you know something like "Mechs O' Potamia (Dennis Moore came up with that one, not me!).

While I think some of the documentation is a little scarce, as Tom Chick pointed out in his review at www.quartertothree.com, I really like the idea of a Civ game where the various Gods grant you unique powers.

From the mod's description I always just assumed you're supposed to just pledge your loyalty to ONE of the Gods but can one get more benefits if they mix things up and found multiple religions?

I was wondering if it has any bugs like Next War is full of.

Apparently not. Can you outline what the different victory condition is?

Something about destroying all the other shrines isn't it?

I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe its if you can work it so the only remaining Shrine is under your control (not sure if it needs to be your current State Religion), you win.

More or less thats it.

When you found a religion your "Religious Victory" is tied to that religion being the last one standing. You found a religion by making a Shrine to that god (only one in the world allowed). That makes that city the Holy City. You have to plan out the Tech that allows the Shrine you want to be built, and then the race to be the first to get it built. And of course, you cant found but the single religion during the entire game.

Then come Hell or High Water, the other Shrines must be destroyed to win. Burn the city, or stamp it down with an Inquisitor, it's all a means to an end.

The random events are set on the God's followers getting bonuses (like Astrology kinda), and each God's nation gets a specific sort of unit promotion. Add in the Great Prophets raining down God Specific doom on your enemies, and you have pretty sweet Holy War (if you do a custom game and turn off all victory conditions except Religious!) :yeah:

More or less thats it.

When you found a religion your "Religious Victory" is tied to that religion being the last one standing. You found a religion by making a Shrine to that god (only one in the world allowed). That makes that city the Holy City. You have to plan out the Tech that allows the Shrine you want to be built, and then the race to be the first to get it built. And of course, you cant found but the single religion during the entire game.

Then come Hell or High Water, the other Shrines must be destroyed to win. Burn the city, or stamp it down with an Inquisitor, it's all a means to an end.

The random events are set on the God's followers getting bonuses (like Astrology kinda), and each God's nation gets a specific sort of unit promotion. Add in the Great Prophets raining down God Specific doom on your enemies, and you have pretty sweet Holy War (if you do a custom game and turn off all victory conditions except Religious!) :yeah:

Actually, having read the Civilpedia its that simple with the only extra caveat that this victory condition does not come into play UNTIL there are at least two Holy Shrines have at least been created since otherwise it would simply be the first person to make a shrine wins.

Does this mean if somehow I build the first 2 shrines I just need to quickly purge myself of one of them for the win? I guess they put the Inquisitor far enough down the food chain that most of the religions have already had a chance to take root before they get removed.

Ramesses II is a beast on this mod, with all the Great Prophet points he can get from the obelisk and quick wonders.

Ki's movement speed promotion is niiiiice.

I just started a game where I founded Enki and set it as my state religion, but it isn't giving me the +1 food per city that it promised me (I spread it to my cities as well). Bad god!
You will need to build Cathedral of Enki to get +1 food from water tiles

Boudica + Inanna is another fun combination

So is it clear how to win this yet? If I found religion A and another guy founds religion B, we each build our religion's shrines, and then I have to go burn the city that holds his shrine to the ground to win?

So if there are 6 religions, each with its own shrine? I have to burn all those cities down to win? Kinda lame.

I just started a game where I founded Enki and set it as my state religion, but it isn't giving me the +1 food per city that it promised me (I spread it to my cities as well). Bad god!

I hate to pop your bubble but I think you misinterpreted it. Each God's Civilpedia entry lists or at least sums up ALL of the benefits that might be gained from the God in question. So that Enki food bonus is not something to be counted twice, they were just talking about that Cathedral bonus you could earn down the road there. Read the other God's descriptions and I'm sure you'll see them mentioning abilities that you don't get immediately but can eventually get through worship of this God.

So is it clear how to win this yet? If I found religion A and another guy founds religion B, we each build our religion's shrines, and then I have to go burn the city that holds his shrine to the ground to win?

So if there are 6 religions, each with its own shrine? I have to burn all those cities down to win? Kinda lame.

Kill them before all 6 are formed then.

If, after at least after two Holy Cities are created, it later ends up that only ONE Holy City remains, the owner of that city has won the game.

Soooo, you could race to found multiple religions early on, maybe even in the same well defended city (not sure if a city can have more than one shrine, though). This way it will be easier to root the other Gods out if YOU already control their shrines in your own cities.

What isn't to clear is can a destroyed shrine be rebuilt, I'd assume not. Perhaps a fun/annoying event could be some destroyed shrine popping back up in a random city.

if you also found all of them first i think that's a win too...though i doubt that's possible since the AI's somehow make them SO fast...

if you also found all of them first i think that's a win too...though i doubt that's possible since the AI's somehow make them SO fast...

Well, is it possible to found more than 1 religion or not?

Top Bottom