Armies

Hoplite191

Chieftain
How many units do you normally have on prince lvl on Pangaea per city in CIV 5? How many do you need to deter other civs from declaring war on you?

On Prince you should be pretty safe as long as you stay in the upper half of the "Soliders" portion of the Demographics screen. The AI isn't good with combat so you should be fine with fewer units.

yeah I beat them all with my cities but they just will not let up until everyone is at war with m. It is also annoying cause they will not make peace unless they get everything I have.

How many units do you normally have on prince lvl on Pangaea per city in CIV 5? How many do you need to deter other civs from declaring war on you?

You have to be near the top in military before your army will deter a DoW. This is a massive waste of gold. You are simply not going to have a large standing army before midgame and not have economic trouble.

3 range units +1 melee unit for your entire empire for all difficulty levels. Increase this to 5 range and 2 melee if you have a psycho neighbor who will never give up. This is all you need to take most cities on any difficulty level before mid game.

Just to see if it could be done. I once played Babylon in OCC and kept my city to 1 citizen and took a domination victory on prince. You are limited to 7 units with 1 city and 1 pop before you take a production hit. You are smarter than the AI, and even Shaka is not as powerful as you. Don't be intimidated by a digital psycho...

It depends. If you're looking at improving past Emperor then listen to other people but if you're fine staying on Prince/King and playing for fun like me then this is what I do.

You need a couple of recon units but not much else until you get Swordsmen/Composite Bowmen. Usually when I get that far, even if I don't have Iron, any civs planning on attacking before the Renaissance will have big armies. If one of them is near you then get a few more units, roughly 1-2 for 2-3 cities with an extra 2 regardless. Even though it works, after the Renaissance, I find this strategy leaves me trailing hideously in units but by then I'll have a 3-5 decent cities that I can go from lowest to highest number of soldiers in 20 turns. After that I don't build much and just upgrade them but if rivals are getting twitchy then by the Modern era I'll train another wave of units.

Fair enough I just hate being put next to monty and greece. Cause they always declare war and attack by turn 50.

You don't need as many units as the AI to defend your cities properly. Attackers always have a disadvantage, and you're smarter than the AI anyways. However, if you want to obtain peace without paying the enemy lux/GPT/gold, then you'll have to have more military power. Otherwise, they won't make peace with you - they'll constantly see you as the victim, yet to be crushed. So the best way to end a war is to go full-out on units, crush the enemy, and get a fair peace treaty (if you're lucky, you'll be able to actually sue them for peace!).

This information is especially relevant on Emperor/Immortal/Deity.

Top Bottom