About to give up

Haxxtastic

Chieftain
Ok so I played the best game I had played since I started. It was 7 hours long, Got to turn 330 or so. Anyway I Was going great toward my tall babylon science victory on immortal, started building my spaceship pieces. Then all of a sudden out of ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE SEVEN OTHER CIVS ALL DECLARE ON ME IN THE SAME TURN. 4 turns later every single tile of my civ is covered in enemy units and even though the 7 or 8 units I had defending myself were way more advanced they just rolled over me like it was nothing, then that was it, game over, 7 hours wasted.

What the hell? Why?

Anytime before this I would get rushed at turn 100 or so because I had NO military on defense so this time I routed some production to bolstering my defenses and it still didn't work.

So what do I do?

Just out of curiosity, what difficulty level were you playing? Also, was there no way to see so many units amassing at your borders?

Ok so I played the best game I had played since I started. It was 7 hours long, Got to turn 330 or so. Anyway I Was going great toward my tall babylon science victory on immortal, started building my spaceship pieces. Then all of a sudden out of ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE SEVEN OTHER CIVS ALL DECLARE ON ME IN THE SAME TURN. 4 turns later every single tile of my civ is covered in enemy units and even though the 7 or 8 units I had defending myself were way more advanced they just rolled over me like it was nothing, then that was it, game over, 7 hours wasted.

What the hell? Why?

Anytime before this I would get rushed at turn 100 or so because I had NO military on defense so this time I routed some production to bolstering my defenses and it still didn't work.

So what do I do?

Could you go back to an auto save a few turns before this happened, and post the save so we can see what was going on? It's likely a diplo issue, but could be that you neglected your military.

Just out of curiosity, what difficulty level were you playing? Also, was there no way to see so many units amassing at your borders?

Immortal, I could see 1 civ's units on my borders, even though we had a DoF i still started preparing for war but then it was just an overwhelming onslaught

Could you go back to an auto save a few turns before this happened, and post the save so we can see what was going on? It's likely a diplo issue, but could be that you neglected your military.

This is the best I could get as far as autosave goes.

This was the first game that I didn't neglect my military, I had a decent number of units (infantries, ironclads, ranged units, mounted units) that I kept constantly upgraded throughout the entire game

Any more units than that and I would have set myself back BIG TIME in science, one other civ was already building cockpit and engine so the turns that these units cost me put me behind quite a bit

Attachments

• AutoSave_0340 AD-1920.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
Sorry if this sounds unduly critical, but you don't have a decent number of units. One infantry, one mech infantry, one machine gun, one cavalry and 2 ironclads at turn 341 is far from sufficient. That ranks you last in military, with only 1/3 of the military of the average civ. You are chum in shark-infested waters.

You have obviously also completely neglected culture. You haven't built any of the guilds, are only generating 20 cpt and have taken only 14 policies (full Tradition and full Rationalism), while the AI civs have taken, on average, about 25-26 policies/tenets (you have fewer policies than Shaka, for goodness sake). I cannot fathom why some think culture is irrelevant in non-CV games. It is critical.

You just recently chose Autocracy as your ideology (no tenets taken yet), so you, Denmark, Egypt and the Shoshone now form an Autocracy bloc. But that means you are now hated by, and at war with, Rammy and Shaka (who both took Order). And William (who took Freedom) is no friend (and presumably will DOW you soon as well -- I didn't play this one forward, but his attitude is obvious if you ask him what he wants for some of his copper).

You played a 3-city Tradition game, but didn't pump culture, maintain a military deterrent or grow your cities (27, 22 and 20 doesn't come close to cutting it). Since you are modestly unhappy, you've lost the Rationalism bonus, but even adjusting for that, your beakers are only running at about 670 per turn, which is way too low. The seeds of your current problems were sown 100-150 turns ago.

8 units? It sounds like you didn't make any defenses and got easily rolled over. You want your military strength to at least be on par with the average. If you arn't then they will take advantage of that. If the AI is too dumb to prevent a science victory they simply declared war on you for having nothing to defend yourself with.

Are you expecting to be able to play simcity all game long and not defend yourself?

Top Bottom