Does Attila always end up failing in your game?

It always surprised me seeing how many people have played a game with Attila I couldn't tell you the last time he showed up in one of my games, when I did a domination-only game he killed it at the beginning but once Shaka got his Impis he was wiped out

Sometimes, rarely though, but sometimes he has a few good years in the early game. I've seen him capture a Capitol or two and be in the top five in scoring, but then in the middle part he really can't keep up and start losing his winning ways.

Sometimes I feel sorry for him because with that attitude of his, it can't be easy being a looser...

Almost always goes on a rampage.

It really makes me wonder why the devs added Attila and some other early warmongers to the game and then made the warmonger penalty so incredibly severe.
Oversight; they wanted to punish warmonger players after first gutting the game to make it more war focused. They never bothered to fix the AI.

I almost always add Attila and some total warmongers to my games because I think it spices things up a bit. It's always funny on continents to see the "An unmet player has lost their capital" and then see the same message repeated in 20 turns.
Also on Diety they can be useful to bribe to attack a runaway science or culture Civ, basically I'm always using Byzantine diplomacy to keep AIs killing each other.
But if you think these guys are weak try turning on the smart AI mod.

I've only ever seen an AI Attila reign supreme once, although I have been on the receiving end of his battering rams on more than one occasion.

Shaka on the other hand, those Impi are way OP. In my last game I achieved Plastics on turn 180 so I thought I'd "have" Shaka. Although my infantry received negligible damage they didn't deal a whole lot either, so I settled for all his luxuries and all his gold.

Yeah, I don't like when AIs declare war just to raze cities, so I turn city razing off. Cause it's really weird and unrealistic when you see a huge blob of land suddenly go vacant in the 20th/21st century.

Well, we know it's unrealistic in the 20th Century. We don't yet know about the 21st.

I think it has already been said in this thread, but the trick with Attila is you have to use him correctly. Every tool box needs a hammer.

In my current game, I'm going wide and diplo with Siam. Dido was being her usual sneaky self so I decided it was time for her to go. She had amassed a decent empire by conquering Washington thru the backdoor while he was wasting units in a fruitless conflict (Against me. Go home George, you're drunk). Attila is doing quite well, 3 high pop cities and better military tech than anyone else.

So I called up my good friend Attila (We don't share borders so we are best buds) and had him hammer Carthage while I stationed troops in my City state allies. I skirmish with Carthaginians so they can't conquer my minors, and Attila knocks down the Carthaginian puppeted former American cities like a bunch of dominoes. The best part? He doesn't keep them, he burns them. I love Attila, sometimes he is just the right tool for the job.

On further thought, I find that most of the serious 100% warmongers have the same problem. Attila just burns out faster than most. The issue is with the flavor system: the AIs like Shaka, Attila, and Genghis are all 100% war focused & have no plan "B" for when war stops working.
Attila has it the worst, as his units come very early, and he's not really good with the rams anyways.

For example, my most recent game with Shaka on my continent. It was myself (Montezuma), Harun Al-Rashid, and Shaka together for one little happy continent. I was at the North end, Arabia was a little South of center, and Shaka was at the very southern coast. Shaka utterly annihilated the Arabians, and started posturing towards me. I built up my force of upgraded Sword-Jags and bows, and actually declared war on him. There was some back & forth until I got Crossbows and Longsword-Jags, at which point I managed to wipe the floor with him. I resurrected Arabia and whipped the Zulus. Shaka offered me all cities but his southernmost one for peace, which I accepted... and then offloaded all the cities I didn't want onto my new best friend Harun.

Shaka had no plan B. I was snooping around his borders for the rest of the game, largely out of curiosity: all I ever saw was more freaking Impi, and him running a -50 gpt deficit. He never made it out of the Renaissance era, because he has no other setting but "build Impi".

I did discover that Longswords are absolutely the best thing to use against Shaka though - unlike the Musket that replaces them, Impi don't get the +25% bonus versus "gunpowder" units and remain outmatched. If your Longswords are highly promoted & have Jaguar abilities, the Impi swarms barely stand a chance.

Atilla has failed before in my games plenty of times. I had Atilla conquer most of my continent but then the other civilizations from the other continent came in with superior technology and conquered most of what Atilla had acquired. Maria Teresa came in purchasing city states and sweden had come in helping out Maria Teresa and her war against Atilla who had a bad warmonger reputation since he took many cities in the local continent.

I just had a game with him in it and he blew everyone away I hope I never see him again hahaha I've never seen a civ pull away from the pack so fast I couldn't catch him.

On further thought, I find that most of the serious 100% warmongers have the same problem. Attila just burns out faster than most. The issue is with the flavor system: the AIs like Shaka, Attila, and Genghis are all 100% war focused & have no plan "B" for when war stops working.
Attila has it the worst, as his units come very early, and he's not really good with the rams anyways.

For example, my most recent game with Shaka on my continent. It was myself (Montezuma), Harun Al-Rashid, and Shaka together for one little happy continent. I was at the North end, Arabia was a little South of center, and Shaka was at the very southern coast. Shaka utterly annihilated the Arabians, and started posturing towards me. I built up my force of upgraded Sword-Jags and bows, and actually declared war on him. There was some back & forth until I got Crossbows and Longsword-Jags, at which point I managed to wipe the floor with him. I resurrected Arabia and whipped the Zulus. Shaka offered me all cities but his southernmost one for peace, which I accepted... and then offloaded all the cities I didn't want onto my new best friend Harun.

Shaka had no plan B. I was snooping around his borders for the rest of the game, largely out of curiosity: all I ever saw was more freaking Impi, and him running a -50 gpt deficit. He never made it out of the Renaissance era, because he has no other setting but "build Impi".

I did discover that Longswords are absolutely the best thing to use against Shaka though - unlike the Musket that replaces them, Impi don't get the +25% bonus versus "gunpowder" units and remain outmatched. If your Longswords are highly promoted & have Jaguar abilities, the Impi swarms barely stand a chance.

The best thing to have against Shacka is not Longswords but rough terrain ... Was that what you were trying to say? If so, congratulations for discovering the hot water :)

Or if not rough terrain, then Gatling guns with range in an open space with a few melee...

The best thing to have against Shacka is not Longswords but rough terrain ... Was that what you were trying to say? If so, congratulations for discovering the hot water :)

What does rough terrain have to do with it? Are you referring to the 10% open terrain bonus on the Buffalo Chest promotion? That's the least of your problems. Or are you referring to their speed? They're still faster than you in rough terrain: in the open you can at least draw them farther forward.

While it's true the former Jaguars I was using had their native bonus in forest, that's not what made the difference. It was a solid block of sword-jags to deny flanks, and some crossbows.

What's this about hot water?

Or if not rough terrain, then Gatling guns with range in an open space with a few melee...

Sure, an industrial era unit is a good solution to a medieval unit. Being two eras ahead is usually a good strategy for war.

impi has 3 movement in open terrain. you can kill em way easier in the jungles only with garrison archers and city bombardment. you don't even need melee units for this.

Top Bottom