How fast can turns get?

So I was hoping I could have almost no time between turns with a new computer, and it looks like I will be waiting about 30 to 40 seconds in later eras with a lot of civs in the game. That's still a lot better than what I have going on now.

Ok, here are the results of some quick testing with an i5-3570K. Huge map, turn 274, 9 AI Civs and 22 CS alive.
I'm disappointed to see those results. My very old system (almost 10 years old) produces 1 minute turn times beyond turn 560.
(Epic speed, large map + 10 civs + 15 city-states).
It's one of the reasons I've deleted civ5 a few days ago. One minute waiting each turn isn't healthy and it's a huge waste of time.
And it looks like a newer system won't improve those turn times that much. Hopefully civ6 has much better turn times.

I wish you could turn quick combat on only for AI units vs AI, I like to see animations when it is adv attack on my guys, but don't want to watch five minutes of city state vs city state because my ally is fighting a pointless CS grudge match, and I wish there were a way to tell where planes came from without that stuff as well.

I'm disappointed to see those results. My very old system (almost 10 years old) produces 1 minute turn times beyond turn 560.
(Epic speed, large map + 10 civs + 15 city-states).
It's one of the reasons I've deleted civ5 a few days ago. One minute waiting each turn isn't healthy and it's a huge waste of time.
And it looks like a newer system won't improve those turn times that much. Hopefully civ6 has much better turn times.

You don't know what other processes might have been running. It's hard these days to kill all running processes but you can try. What we have is what happened in certain circumstances on his system. T

That said I punched my 5830K from 3.8GHz to 4.2 but couldn't tell the difference in late game turn time but we are talking a little over a 10% increase I'd need to push over 5Ghz if I expected to see a discernable difference (which these chips won't handle except maybe with extreme cooling and wouldn't last long in that case). We need Civ6 to be multi-threaded, at least until we see Intel push out main stream procs hitting 6GHz (doubtful anytime soon they just announced a 5GHz 4 core XEON which won't be available to the general public though you might find one on e-bay).

When ever I get tired of turn times I switch to an RTS for awhile :).

I wish you could turn quick combat on only for AI units vs AI, I like to see animations when it is adv attack on my guys, but don't want to watch five minutes of city state vs city state because my ally is fighting a pointless CS grudge match, and I wish there were a way to tell where planes came from without that stuff as well.

There is a mod which does exactly that. I am on my cell now, but I think it is called QuickTurns.

Top Bottom