Military city-states and special units?

Learn a new thing every day I suppose. It only applies to land units, so no Dromons, Zeros, Quins or SotLs

Pretty sure military CS will give you UU even if you don't have the resource but they require ally status. If it's not a UU, they won't give you if you don't have resource.

Huh. Learn something new every day. Looks like the camel archer & keshik city-states just became even *better*.

Unfortunately the city-states in my current game aren't quite as useful: they're offering Mohawk Warriors and Cossacks. Be still my beating heart.

Looks like the camel archer & keshik city-states just became even *better*.
Be aware that you still have the resource penalty for using those units.

I have already capitalized on this thread, getting Samurai even though I lack iron.

This only happens for gifted UUs (which are only checked against prereq/obsolete techs and not resource requirements)
How can i change the timer when military city states gift units ? I want to tone down from 17-20 to 10-13

I once was playing a game as Sweden and was gifted Minutemen which were then upgraded into Caroleans. The AI never knew what was coming for them!

Needing the strategic resource to cover a unit has a way of being a moot point, because if you're ally with the CS, you also get their resources.

I recently learned that it's good to check the UU a CS gives as soon as you meet them. I realized I would have researched Iron Working sooner had I known he was gifting Kris, and Machinery sooner had I known he was gifting Chukonus.

Needing the strategic resource to cover a unit has a way of being a moot point, because if you're ally with the CS, you also get their resources.
It is not a moot point because the CS will give you a horse-based UU even though they do not have horses. Same thing for iron. It still seems weird to me that the units you are gifted are based on what techs you have (and not what techs the CS has). Also, it would be more interesting if the military CS had a few of the UU themselves!

It's two-fold. Besides the CS gifting you the unit even without the resource, there is also a good chance you're getting the resource through the CS.

This has been an extremely useful thread. I made an account here just to say thanks. Certainly explains why there is no list of corresponding UU and MCS.
Yeah I think it's awesome that they will still gift UU with resource requirements you can't meet. Might be worth scrapping a vanilla knight with 2 promos for a mounted UU. I had a game with someone providing longbowmen, which is always awesome for the double range promo.
You fellas mentioned towers. I may have been gifted one at some point. I certainly remember gifting them to city states myself as Assyria. I was using them as garrison placeholders until I was ready to upgrade. Good to build tons of them too because they still help in city capture actions all the way through the game, even if they die after being in range for the one turn. If you plan your movements correctly, they'll still help. If you have a perfect army and no significant terrain obstacles, their weakness in the field is irrelevant, as you can take the city on the same turn you deployed the tower. However they become priority targets for enemy air power. But you know, that can be a good thing too. Maybe that's something you can afford to lose at that point, instead of one of your upgraded star units from the early game.

Top Bottom