Where to settle

JaggedBear

Chieftain
I have just started a new game playing as India but I am a little stuck on where to place my next city. 2016-01-11_00001.jpg This is the map so far, theres Brazil to the north, Morocco to the east and I think Denmark is also east as well. Ty for any help.

It's kind of hard to see the details, but here are my suggestions:

Spoiler :

The spot due east will probably be competitive with Marocco, so if you want that one, it should probably be first priority. It's on river and has many sheep which is nice, but no luxes speaks against it.

The spot due south will land you an extra Chocolate and some bonus resources as well as a coastal position for trade, and make be a jumpboard for the Marble further south. Again, no unique lux speaks against this.

The spot to the north-east seems to be on river and will give you a Dye. Brazil will probably compete with you for this spot.

Spot due west is a bit hard to see clearly, but it seems to be coastal river (which is good for trade) and also has cows and horses, so this might be worth going for.

EDIT > You might also want to try for the Gold close to Marocco, perhaps settling by the small lake to secure fresh water access in city.

Doesn't help the decision much. Did you think about taking the one that gives culture boost to pastures?

You seem to have a dearth of luxury resources so I'd probably put it on a hill tile on the north coast of that lake to your East to get the dyes, or on the coast to the South East to pick up the cocoa (although I can't see any hill tiles in range).

However for goodness sake do not take my advice, I am a terrible civ player so wait for a better player to offer some assistance. I'm just as interested in the answer.

Desert hill, north east surround by 4 weath and a gold near. Send your scout to avoid Morocco to take it.

What does this mean?

One good thing about that site is that it looks like there's some mountains there, so if Morocco do get the hump and decide to try and take the city there's some nice protection.

I like the spots Kaspergm gave you, except the one to the north-east seems I would move I hex more NE to get less water in the first and second ring. He spotted four decent location, and as Gandhi, you only afford three. Or, as Memoryjar wrote, pickup the gold for your first expo and fill in behind that. You want one coastal location to open up some TR options later in the game.

Have you decided on a VC? Looks like a number of civs in the game, and at an easier level (since SH is available at T40).

I ended up going for the dyes and a third city next to the fish (Morocco took the gold). Lol I am playing on immortal, missed out on Sh by a turn but the gold I got from it allowed me to buy a library in my second city. On a side note what techs do the Ai usually get to enter the Renaissance era? I'm going for cultural victory as well

On a side note what techs do the Ai usually get to enter the Renaissance era? I'm going for cultural victory as well
In my games, about 9/10 AI seem to beeline Gunpowder. But then, I do play with a range of mods, so that might affect this. Some civs, like Denmark, beeline optics and a few, most notably the Maya, beeline Education.

I'm curious what others think of the tile JaggedBear's warrior is on.
It's on top of a hill, has two luxuries, two stone tiles, some horses, fish.
Good place to settle, or too little production/food?

I think the spot has enough production and food, but as a pretty firm rule, I avoid spots with three hexes exposed to ocean. Too many bad experiences with that!

It's a nice spot, if I'd settled my second city on the coast 5 or 6 hexes South of the capital then that would definitely be a choice for my third city.

I think the spot has enough production and food, but as a pretty firm rule, I avoid spots with three hexes exposed to ocean. Too many bad experiences with that!

Why is that? The AI is horrible at naval combat and it's easy to defend if you block it with some of your own ships. 5-6 exposed tiles is a different story but why would you plant a city on a tiny island in the first place?

I'm curious what others think of the tile JaggedBear's warrior is on.
It's on top of a hill, has two luxuries, two stone tiles, some horses, fish.
Good place to settle, or too little production/food?
I guess that's a good spot if you play unmodded game. One of my irks with the small details in Civ5 balance is how it's more beneficial to settle on a hill than on flatlands, so I play with a mod that, among other things, cut the extra free food you get when settling, so that placing your city on a hill will mean 1 extra production at the expense of 1 less food. This makes it generally unfavorable, if not unfeasable, to settle on hills compared to grassland, so that was why I didn't really consider that spot.

I do agree with beetle though, too many ocean tiles works against this spot, both for defensive purposes and because these tiles are essentially trash tiles.

Why is that? The AI is horrible at naval combat and it's easy to defend if you block it with some of your own ships.
I don't exactly think of coastal cities as “naval combat”, but three exposed hexes is enough that the AI initial swarm can really all hit over just a couple turns. I am sure I am less competent with combat than you, but I have much less trouble keeping my cities with less ocean exposure. Three hexes versus two for water exposure is a huge difference, in my experience. And as Kaspergm points out, too many trash tiles limit the city's potential.

One of my irks with the small details in Civ5 balance is how it's more beneficial to settle on a hill than on flatlands...
Yeah, but then the cities on flats get to build windmill later, so that catches them up.

Yeah, but then the cities on flats get to build windmill later, so that catches them up.
True, did remove that restriction also. Didn't make sense either, I mean, why wouldn't you want to build a windmill just because you are in an area of hills? :confused: Same about the random no-stoneworks-on-plains condition.

I agree with you that the non-stoneworks-on-plains is, essentially, a bug. I prefer hills-are-better-but-no-windmill over the mod you describe -- just personal preference.

I agree with you that the non-stoneworks-on-plains is, essentially, a bug. I prefer hills-are-better-but-no-windmill over the mod you describe -- just personal preference.
Preference if fine. For me, it seems illogical. I mean, how many of the world's major cities are located in hilly areas?

Top Bottom