Sailing Ships Reskins

I had a old Vanilla backup, so i checked it.

The Galley files in Vanilla 1.0 were identical to those that are in the most current patched Vanilla Assets*.FPK.
They are different from those that came with Warlords (and are still in use on BTS).

None of them will make the Galleas-Rows animate on BTS. I guess we are doomed on this one.

Darn it be to all!

I had a old Vanilla backup, so i checked it.

The Galley files in Vanilla 1.0 were identical to those that are in the most current patched Vanilla Assets*.FPK.
They are different from those that came with Warlords (and are still in use on BTS).

None of them will make the Galleas-Rows animate on BTS. I guess we are doomed on this one.

If we copy the vanilla galley kfm in the galleas folder, and link it in the xml to the new galleas folder's kfm, it should work. I still have the vanilla KFM, I'll try.

I didn't know that they changed the galley animation. That is the source of the problem. They did the same thing with elephants in BTS. It may occurs some problems with old elephants units too.

EDIT (my little moderation minute) : Sorry JustATourist to highjack your post. Your reskins are nice and this thread should be about it. We should continue the galleas discustion in its thread.

I hope, this will be noted despite some attempts of hijacking. ;) Anyway I have finished reskins for english ships: English Sailing Ships

Now you need the famous Prussian fleet!

Now you need the famous Prussian fleet!

I didn't know, it was a famous fleet. But how did you know, I had something like this in my mind?

I didn't know, it was a famous fleet. But how did you know, I had something like this in my mind?
Kinda scary, huh? The Wolf knows all...

Actually, honest to God, I was just seriously sitting-down and getting ready to redo sailing ships with nation-specific skins, starting with Prussia, about 24-hrs before you made your post... then I saw what you were doing and decided to sit back and see what you would do...

So far, I'm mightily impressed... so I thought I'd humbly suggest the Prussian navy next (they did have one).

A little bit of highjacking helps to keep a thread alive, while you are busy making those units
:mischief:

Another nice set.

A small note - it's not your fault, but perhaps you want to fix it anyway ;-P - does someone else feel those exxagerated cannon shadows on the east indiaman model are ugly ? Perhaps you could clean them away a bit ?

Well, each (or allmost each) of the vanilla sailing ships has this canon shadows on the texture, so I tried hard not to remove them. But if they really this ugly, I can reduce or remove them.

I dont know why - the shadows do not distub me that much on the other ships. On the Dutch East Indiaman however they look king of werd. The first time i played Willem and built my shiny new UU, i was shocked. It looked like there is some kind of dirty fluid dripping from the cannon-ports leaving that stain on the hull.

I guess they are just dark, or maybe reach too far down. But it might be just me :lol:

Yes, i like it more that way.

Very well done... but DRAT... I just passed the age of sail in my own game and converted the last of my frigates to ironclad cruisers!

Oh well... catch them next time around!

Okay, I like the Prussian ships... I'm just not too fond of that darn default Civ4 "German" flag up-top. I understand the reason (to match the default German flag in Civ4), but it's so non-historical.

I did a mod of a mod, and included the German Naval Jack from the German Confederation of the 1800s (used by Imperial Germany too).

I changed nothing else... so these are the same ships, just with the German Naval Jack.

Attachments

• PrussianJacks.zip
    155 KB · Views: 164
Actually I did not choose the black cross on white ground, because it is the civilization standard flag.

As you probably know there was no real german state about 1800. Until the end of 18th century there was the Holy Roman Empire. In the early 19th century there was Napoleon, and after the liberation there have been the German Confederation aber 1815. The red, white, black you are refering to was only used after the North German Federation and the German Empire. That was after 1866. I think this is quite the end of the age of sail, so I thought the red, white, black flag wound not fit very well.

The alternative I had was to use the flag of the Holy Roman Empire or the one of the German Confederation, which both look quite the same on such a tiny flag used on the ships. So It would cause a major confussion, because the HRE is also a civ ingame.

Perhaps you have recognised I called the unit "prussian". That was no accident. (You requested prussian units anyway.) The historical accurate prussian flag from 1525 until 1918 was nearly the same, it was this black eagle, I used on the sails. I did not use the eagle on the ships flags, because the flag is so small, you would be able to say, what's on the flag. Then I noticed that the prussian warflag has a second emblem on it: It is a cross, which developed from the flag of the cross of the Teutonic Order.

The warflag of prussia 1816 was this one.

It is a coincidence that this is the same cross they use in civilization for germany. (Or maybe not.) But as you can see, I gave it much thought, which flag I shall use on this ships, and it is also historical accurate, while the red, white, black flag was used quite a while later, when sailing ships became out of fashion. I'm sorry.

First-off, I'm not concerned with the HRE... I'm speaking of Prussia and Germany, the true forefather to a united Germany.... the HRE crumbled into the Austrian Empire during the time of Napoleon.

I'm sorry, but you go a long-way defending your choice to just end-up using the exact same default flag that comes with Germany in Civ4.

The black maltese cross on a white flag (by itself) just wasn't used as the national or war flag on Prussian warships... I had thought you used it because that's what Firaxis used (which is non-historical for Germany to begin with).

Since there are no "Prussian Civs", we need to think of Germany... the existing flag of the North German Confederation--a horizontal tricolor of black, white and red--became the national flag of united Germany. Black, white and red are said to have been selected by Bismarck in because by combining the colors of Prussia (black-white) and Brandenburg (red-white), they flattered the dynastic sensibilities of King William I of Prussia, a man by no means convinced of the advisability of German unification. Except for minor modifications of the size of the cross, the jack remained unchanged from 1871 to 1919. The commissioning pennant remained unchanged as well, and in fact is still in use nowadays by the German Navy.

I know the tricolor flag of united Germany wasn't used by the Prussians, but neither was the black cross on a white flag for the national flag of Prussia. This was the state flag of Prussia:

Of course, we don't have a "Prussia Civ"... we have a "German Civ"... the first flag of a united Germany was the tricolor naval jack I used. I didn't just make it up out of my head, it's the first unified flag of a unified Germany, and it's seen the most use in the German Navy more then any other flag.

I'm fine with Prussian markings, and I'm not saying you did something horrible by the flag you used (it matches the default "German" flag in Civ4)... but don't try and tell me that it's the actual Prussian naval jack, because it's not. The closest match is the Kriegswimpel, but it's neither the state flag or the naval jack of Prussia.

I didn't expect you to get all defensive by my changing the flag to an actual Naval Jack of Germany... I know it comes a bit late time-line-wise, but it is a historical naval jack, not something fabricated by Firaxis. There's nothing wrong with choice... most people will probably want the DEFAULT Civ4 German flag, but for those that want an actual Naval Jack of Germany that has been in-use for well over 100 years by a united Germany... I give them that option.

It's just an option... I didn't think I was insulting your work, I simply gave another option for those that may want something different... to each their own choice, that's all I was thinking of.

Besides... it matches MY default German flag in my own mod!

Get it? :groucho:

He didn't tell you the cross beeing actual Naval Jack - for most of German history there was no such thing as a universal naval flag anyway - he did say the cross beeing a good symbol for germany, because it was used in different fashion by many factions widely connected with german history over a long period of time - before, after and during the
age in question.

This makes it anything else but "non-historical". This is probably why it was chosen to be the german flag in the game in the first place. It's a fictional game. Most of the time recognize-ability should go over realism. I.e. on coutries that actually do have History of more than 250 years. There were lots of changes over the long time.

Nothing wrong with your flag either (It does have the same cross symbol as well btw.). As you said - choice is good. But there are no grounds for claiming the one beeing more "Historical" or "Accurate" than the other.

Yes, I'm well aware we both used the Maltese Cross... he seemed upset that I used the "wrong flag", whereas his wasn't any more correct either. Just because it has the cross, doesn't mean it's a proper flag... it's like having a white star on a blue background and calling it an actual American flag because the white star is used in the proper US flag... My point was that I used the cross on an actual German flag that has been used by multiple German governements (Confederation, Imperial and Bundes to name but three)... the Maltese Cross on a white flag has never been used as a state flag or a naval jack by any German (or German related) government as a standard. Yes, the cross is emblematic of Germany... hence it's use in the German Naval Jack which I used.

It's just another option... it just happens to be based on an actual German Naval Jack that did fly over German ships in the 19th century and still flies to this day. I didn't think creating that option would be so controversial.

Sheesh... If I got this much reaction on the German Naval Jack that's seen use from the 1800s through today, I'm sure glad I didn't do a swastika!

For my next controversy, we can debate the St George Cross vs the Union Jack!

All right, this is ridiculous. I gave my artistic interpretation of the units quite a tought, especially because we are talking about a flag with 30x20 pixels. As I wrote, I am not willing to paint an eagle on 20 pixels, because this would just look as a big black spot. Neither I am willing to use a flag, which never waved above a sailing ship.

This "I want it historical accurate" or "look there, there is a small spot you did wrong, haha" really goes on my nerves. I will stop my reskinning work right here.

Top Bottom