Have you heard about the barbarians ?

Marla_Singer

United in diversity
If I ask such a question, it's probably because that story really shocked me and I've seen no thread yet about it.

The barbarians are actually the name of a gang operating in Southern Paris. Actually, their "business" was about blackmailing people to grab ransoms from them. During several years, they've been able to blackmail this way random people who were chosen because they belonged to a specific group which had in their eyes the reputation to have money : physicians from rich neighbourhoods, American expats, Jewish people.

That story lasted during 4 years. It was at first mainly about sending blackmail letters requesting money in exchange of life. Those letters were usually made under the name of specific fantasy causes. In the case of physicians, it was Corsican mafia, in the case of Americans, it was Al Qaeda terrorists. The gang varied massively in their way to operate so that each specific affair couldn't be directly linked with another one.

Anyway, few months ago, the gang decided to operate differently, probably because the former method wasn't enough conclusive. Their new plan was to send blond girls seducing people identified as rich. Their mission was to discuss with the guy untill the subway was closed (at 1am) in order to ask to be driven back at their home. But of course that was a trap, they were actually caught in their car by kidnappers who were waiting for them. Then, they were sequestered and would be freed only once ransom was paid.

Unforunately, this turned really bad with a specific victim, named Ilan Halimi. Like all the others, he's been chosen because he had the reputation to be rich. In his specific case, that reputation was based only on the fact he was Jewish.

He's been sequestered during three weeks in a cave, being tortured everyday (aoparently because the kidnappers considered this was "funny"). Kidnappers were smoking pots and extinguished them on his head or on his hand. He was beaten with metal pipes and other various tools everyday. Finally, after 3 weeks, the guy was in such a poor state that kidnappers decided to let him on a rail track. He died there because of his wounds, he had the skin completely burnt and the legs broken in pieces.

When the girl has learnt the story in the news, she got scared and decided to tell everything to the cops. She was actually simply paid to send the guy in the trap. Money. Nothing else.

Very quickly, we've found most of members of the barbarians, as they called themselves. The guy who was considered as the brain of the gang, Youssouf Fofana, had fled in Ivory Coast. Probably because he had family in Abidjan. He's been finally localized by the Ivorian police force thanks to a mobile phone call.

Anyway, here's the whole story. And this happened in my city of Paris. :(

Sorry to disturb you with such a horrific story, but well, somewhere I guess I needed to talk about this. I honnestly can't believe people raised in France could be able to do things like this, but I have to face the facts.

I had read this story (although without all the details you mentioned) on a Dutch newssite a few weeks ago.

It's indeed a horrible story.

For me it shows that certain people are prepared to do everything to get money. But I guess that's nothing new. Certain people have no ethics at all.

rmsharpe said:
Are these guys French or are they immigrants?
They are French. They were born and raised in a decent neighbourhood actually. It was indeed gov. funded housing but decent ones, not even the kind of cités which have burnt during French riots.

AVN said:
I had read this story (although without all the details you mentioned) on a Dutch newssite a few weeks ago.

It's indeed a horrible story.

For me it shows that certain people are prepared to do everything to get money. But I guess that's nothing new. Certain people have no ethics at all.
I still fail to see how this could be possible. It's unthinkable to me to believe people can go that low only for money. Indeed, those people have no ethics at all, and somewhere it tells a lot about how low French educational system is now. How could this be possible ?

rmsharpe said:
Are these guys French or are they immigrants?
Apparently at least the leader is an immigrant.

But that doesn't matter; cruel people come in all sizes and colours.

luiz said:
Apparently at least the leader is an immigrant.
No the leader was as French as all the other members. Their family were from various background indeed, African, European, Arabian...

But that doesn't matter; cruel people come in all sizes and colours.
Exactly, their colour of skin is really not the question in here. I'm just stunned about the fact... well... this could happen in France.

And the worst is that they were calling themselves "barbarians". How cynical is this ? Anyway, it was stupid to post that thread as this will go nowhere.

Marla, I think that the fact that a story like this made you so shocked actually says something positive about France.

While I agree it is a horrible story and those guys are monsters, almost every week one can read something along those lines in the papers of Rio or SP.

Wait, did the Americans actually believe the Al-Queda thing? If so I can't feel much pity for their idiocy. (Although I guess it is believable, I've never had a high opinion of expats)

h4ppy said:
Wait, did the Americans actually believe the Al-Queda thing? If so I can't feel much pity for their idiocy. (Although I guess it is believable, I've never had a high opinion of expats)

Sorry, but what his this to do with the topic ??

luiz said:
Marla, I think that the fact that a story like this made you so shocked actually says something positive about France.

While I agree it is a horrible story and those guys are monsters, almost every week one can read something along those line in the papers of Rio or SP.
You're probably right. This being said, what makes the crime even uglier is that it was clearly racist. Those guys have chosen Ilan because he was Jewish, and jews were supposed to have money.

By the way, they are officially prosecuted for racial murder with premeditation.

AVN said:
Sorry, but what his this to do with the topic ??
Those letters were usually made under the name of specific fantasy causes. In the case of physicians, it was Corsican mafia, in the case of Americans, it was Al Qaeda terrorists.
I mean did anyone really beleive that? (I'd be much more inclined to beleive a mafia one)

h4ppy said:
The Americans in question received letters with a picture of people worn as fundamentalists with AK-47, right in front of their own home. And those pictures were not fake. Furthermore, they were finding hand grenades in their garden.

In my opinion, that's enough to take the dudes seriously, and the fact there were few chances they were actually from Al-Qaeda was rather irrelevant. Anyway, in both cases, Fundies and Mafia, usually cops considered chances were thin that they were at the origins of those threats, as there was nothing fitting with their information.

Sometimes i wonder if death penalty would stop such cases of atrocities but then when you look at coutries wich still have death penalty ruling it doesn't stop people to act so uncivilized.

Yeeek said:
Sometimes i wonder if death penalty would stop such cases of atrocities but then when you look at coutries wich still have death penalty ruling it doesn't stop people to act so uncivilized.
Actually, in such kind of stories I believe people usually prefer to think they won't get caught. As a perspective, being enjailed for life isn't particularly more glamour than death penalty.

Marla_Singer said:
Anyway, it was stupid to post that thread as this will go nowhere.

Why do you think that ?

You are upset. And I think it's understandable.
This happened not too far from your home (even if it is as much as 10 or 20 kms away).

Lots of people are greedy (quite common) and quite a number of them don't know any limits to get what they want (as in this case).

That upsets you ( a person who believes in certain moral, ethical values).

I can understand that you are upset.

But OTOH we live in a world in which we still have a lot of people who don't share our moral, ethical values.

Lessons to be learnt from this.
1) Not everyone shares reasonable ethical, moral european values.
2) Don't give up the values you believe in. Defend them.

I hope this helps.

Marla_Singer said:
Anyway, it was stupid to post that thread as this will go nowhere.
But it has, your sadness has already reached New Mexico.

Marla's grief and pain takes flight
Flying west with the night;
Sadness on the wing
Relief to troubled hearts can bring. :)

That story did make me want to vomit, but I wouldn't get too down are your country Marla. All places have these sort of issues. Sociopathic behaviour has no boundaries of creed or culture.

Birdjaguar said:
But it has, your sadness has already reached New Mexico.

Marla's grief and pain takes flight
Flying west with the night;
Sadness on the wing
Relief to troubled hearts can bring. :)
Thanks for this Bird. :)
You're a good poet writer, and this indeed relieved partly my troubled heart. ;)

Top Bottom