The Road to War - Ultimate Edition!

I just had a CTD after mopping up a Soviet stack (via stack-attack) in January 1942. Maybe my machine just ran out of memory? :(

Yep, reloaded and now I'm back on track. :D

Once I have won as Germany I'm going to try 1936, Monarch, USSR. See if Germany can beat me. Then I'm going to try it as Britain, see if I can prevent Germany from even being able to conquer France.

What has been changed in 1.1? I just wish to know before downloading, because I have a very slow and unstable connection, so downloading these new versions clogs my connection for most of the day.

(Most importantly has the 'AI disbanding most of its military' in the global scenario bug been fixed?)

Yes, the AI disbanding bug is fixed.

French civ fan is not quite correct in his statement. It is fixed in the 39 maps, but the new BtS patch made the AI consider "build up to war" more. :( This makes the AI require more time to build up to war, which renders the first year of the 39 maps peaceful.

But the 36 maps give a great game. :)

Yep, reloaded and now I'm back on track. :D

Once I have won as Germany I'm going to try 1936, Monarch, USSR. See if Germany can beat me. Then I'm going to try it as Britain, see if I can prevent Germany from even being able to conquer France.

Stopping Germany as England is relatively easy.

Play Poland or Canada and stop Germany taking France. ;)

it has..but not for the 39 maps..well they dont disband as much as they used to...but the 39 maps I say dont play em..Besides 36 maps give you more control over how your nation leads into WW2...what units do you want for example..and on a 36 map you can do it
About 1939 maps I don't think it's true, at least it seems fixed for Europe 39. I haven't check carefully unit numbers for each country but overall that seems ok.

The problem of 1939 maps is eventually AI slow to enter in action but even that seems fixed.

The only problems I quoted was problems I saw in all RtW versions, like UK sticking in its island hold with no care about the whole Europe fall, or Germans that don't see any interest to attack Norway.

Yeah that's a case of "areas" as defined to the AI. England is a separate "area" to Europe, thus considered a different continent.

We can get away with it for US / Canada because they consider Europe so far away it lands in the "war far away" category. Hence why you'll see US / Canada invading Europe, but never anyone else.

I have played up until September 1940 as Germany, 1936, Monarch with 1.1 and so far it is quite exciting, the AI seems more willing to build units. Britain however keeps a large number of its ships in port rather than bombing my units along the French coast.
I never see UK bombing units along French coast.

One change I notice about UK is that in most game I played as French or German I noticed in older versions that UK (and Canada) was providing some help for air support/attack, like putting some planes in the 2 holds in the east of France. UK (and Canada) seems not doing that anymore.

Also I have seen the USSR remove an enormous stack of units from the Baltics (one city left there with one defender and a fighter) simply because the stack got wounded in group-combat.
That seems to me more like a smart move by the AI.

This city was probably taken recently, many buildings already destructed, eventually still in revolt, 0% defense, and city close to frontier. Everything to make you leave temporary the town and avoid a ton of stupid loss.

A little smarter was to have let no troop and prepare a smash and retreat against any troop attempting to take the city.

Dale if you are willing to do any further work on this mod, I would love a version (or instructions on how to do it myself) with all the default combat rules, including fighter limits per city, single-unit combat, no ranged bombard, no lethal bombard etc. I honestly believe that, while all of these things are extremely good fun for the human player, the AI is NOT using them correctly or optimally at all and it is just one more way the human player can mop up the AI.
I disagree AI don't know use all those points. Ranged bombard, eventually that AI use it more rarely than a human will do but still use it. I was wandering in German country with a big pack of unit in order to destroy some stuff and roads and AI mass a pack of artillery and ranged bombard my pack that had to retreat to heal.

But I think that some points aren't well used, particularly bombing ships in harbor and bombing town stuff (factories and other), AI use it a little but it seems used it less than it should... thanks because those features are a little too powerful.

Eventually the AI doesn't know to use the very special features of the anti air units but I have too admit that myself too I don't know use them yet!

Some of those point are in the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml and are option to activate or not.

However I respect the current release and if you were to do no more work with it I'd be happy. I would love a full-fledged game made out of this. (I have Combat Mission Barbarossa, which is much too complicated for me - a game in-between that and this mod would be perfect.)
I respect all release of RtW :) but I agree this one is most probably the best of all.

Yeah that's a case of "areas" as defined to the AI. England is a separate "area" to Europe, thus considered a different continent.

We can get away with it for US / Canada because they consider Europe so far away it lands in the "war far away" category. Hence why you'll see US / Canada invading Europe, but never anyone else.
Lol what a bug in the AI, or a proof no Europe people participate because we all know UK is far far away from Europe! :D

To be fair the 1939 Europe map is in a poor state (for Germany). It's hard to see exactly what's happening but either Germany loses tons of units or it disbands quite a lot. So if you want to play 1939 start, you have to play as Germany really.

If the AI used the bombard features a bit more strategically it would be a serious challenge. As it stands the mod is great for recreating WWII as the human player, or as Dale says, to really have a challenge to play as Poland and try to survive. I might try that on Noble this weekend. :D

I disagree AI don't know use all those points. Ranged bombard, eventually that AI use it more rarely than a human will do but still use it. I was wandering in German country with a big pack of unit in order to destroy some stuff and roads and AI mass a pack of artillery and ranged bombard my pack that had to retreat to heal.

But I think that some points aren't well used, particularly bombing ships in harbor and bombing town stuff (factories and other), AI use it a little but it seems used it less than it should... thanks because those features are a little too powerful.of all.

I haven't tried playing on Immortal/Deity level yet, some people have said they played Deity/Germany and still managed to win fairly easily, but it might be more of a challenge that way. If the AI has more units and more money it should fight better. :)

I haven't tried playing on Immortal/Deity level yet, some people have said they played Deity/Germany and still managed to win fairly easily, but it might be more of a challenge that way. If the AI has more units and more money it should fight better. :)

ya im playing a diety game atm on a Europe map as Britain..due to my city deffence promotion France didn't fall..they lost 2 cities becuz I had to retreat back wards due to the incoming tanks and units..and had to build up more deffence..I took back the cities France lost and never let Paris Fall...Im taking heavy losses in my Air Force due to the fact I spent most my time making Infantry to hold French Land..Britain is coverd in battlefield smoke from bombings..but all is well cuz Germany didnt take France and so soon we will outproduce em..and once they invade the USSR itll be a cake walk from there.

I dont think Ill finish this British game because im looking for more of a challenge
I think Ill be Austria or Czechoslovakia next..on a Europe map of course so I can have 2 cities..gonna play on diety and see how long I can hold..if at all..against Germany
After Them Its time to try Germany but on a world map..and in turn ill prolly turn off bitter winter because it causes major time increse in waiting between turns..so ill have to find a way to boost the USSR so they arnt a cake walk

Some points about the UE 1.1 (only Europe 39, Deity level, Historical mode):
- A problem I never saw before : When playing France, UK joined and I noticed only few turns later that we where researching different technologies. I request them change to my technology, in dialog they say yes but didn't change their research. At same time other allies accept change. UK was the only country with better global score. Joined, a savegame.

- AI unit production, almost fully fixed, AI seem to produce everything. The only points I saw are :
* Overproduction of submarines, like if Churchill has stolen Hitler plans about that! But I noticed it for all countries... but Germany! :D
* Overproduction of Tank Destroyer. About that, I think Tank Destroyer appeared only much later and only in last years of the war, like 44. The result is that Tank Destroyer are overused but worse that Tanks are a bit underused. But at least AI use them now. The better would perhaps to have a second Anti tank unit stronger than the first but slower and with less bonus than a later Tank Destroyer.
* Overproduction of Marines and paratroopers until AI get infantry near to str 25. Until that, Infantry seems a lot underused and mainly for town defense purpose. That's weird for countries with strong infantry.
* Underproduction of Tanks. But at least, now AI produce some and use them in fights.
* Underproduction of Anti Air units, ha well it's eventually an option and the AI replace them by planes/and or artillery.

- AI aggressiveness solved for all Europe countries for which it's normal to expect some, Germany, USSR, Italy, even France. The only problem is for UK, but similar to all previous versions. Eventually I notice one change, they provide no more air support to France when they did it better in some older version.

Other points are details like:
- Why workers still cost that much? I noticed it's less exaggerate than in UE 1.0 and this is cool. But it's one of the most boring lost that happen in the game. A country just declare war and in same turn eat your 4 workers nearby, your workers are far from frontiers... but not enough because a unit with 3 or 4 move jump on them. When that happen and you notice how high is the production cost... it's weird! :)

- Some unit characteristics can be debated but well Chamboozer seems unable to recognize his errors and correct them! :p My main points are:
* Second France bomber weaker than first, only its production cost is a little bit lower. Not fun at all, even if that has really some sense with real models.
* Default units are now too weak. I understand there was a problem with Poland but why Poland should suffer such a drop when Italy still get unit strength that are fare to simulate what happened during real war (they lost poorly all their battles except when German was here). The problem is when you play the country, Germany or USSR, opponent units are so weak that it's boring to take Poland or Finland.
* No need to give 3 moves to British improved infantry, that has no sense.
* UK medium tank with 4 moves is a tremendous advantage (and not justified historically).
* US light tank with 5 moves is just too much.

Attachments

• GaulleDiv EU1.1 1939 ap. J.C-Aout-Quinzaine 1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    639.7 KB · Views: 104
what folder exactly containts the thing to turn off bitter winter..I cant seem to find it..i went into XML folder and opened GlobalDefinesAlt with notepad..but dont see anything that relates to what you said to look for Dale in 1st post

Like Im just wondering what exact folder its in

To be fair the 1939 Europe map is in a poor state (for Germany). It's hard to see exactly what's happening but either Germany loses tons of units or it disbands quite a lot. So if you want to play 1939 start, you have to play as Germany really.

If the AI used the bombard features a bit more strategically it would be a serious challenge. As it stands the mod is great for recreating WWII as the human player, or as Dale says, to really have a challenge to play as Poland and try to survive. I might try that on Noble this weekend. :D

Actually, Germany isn't disbanding units in 39 anymore. If you compare starting units, to units at fortnight 2 september, they are the same.

You can do this by pressing CTRL-Z and going into statistics and looking at the "current" unit statistics for Germany. In all the 1.1 games I've tested on 39, Germany starts with 80 INF and after a turn of war it still has 80-81 INF (where under BETA3 it would have 40).

Once again (sometimes I sound like a broken record repeating myself ;)) changes to the way the AI prepares for war makes it slower to start. Like I said above, in the 39 map it pretty much renders the first year of war fairly peaceful. :(

When I let computer played my Germans I didn't notice disbanding or very few I didn't notice. Now I'm playing French and it's harder to say and be sure but I feel more that Germans have too many units at Deity level! :p

In fact some time, in some game (older versions of RtW), some AI suddenly decide use town bombing to destroy your buildings and up to let no building, that's weird but each time it was ok anyway because applied only on one or two less interesting towns.

- AI aggressiveness solved for all Europe countries for which it's normal to expect some, Germany, USSR, Italy, even France. The only problem is for UK, but similar to all previous versions. Eventually I notice one change, they provide no more air support to France when they did it better in some older version.

* Default units are now too weak. I understand there was a problem with Poland but why Poland should suffer such a drop when Italy still get unit strength that are fare to simulate what happened during real war (they lost poorly all their battles except when German was here). The problem is when you play the country, Germany or USSR, opponent units are so weak that it's boring to take Poland or Finland.

I'm not changing neutral units again. Fullstop! I don't give a . .. .. .. . how many times people scream "historical accuracy". The fact neutral units were stronger is the number two reason why the AI did not attack neutrals. It did not consider the odds good enough.

So put up and shut about the neutrals. What would you prefer, historical accuracy or a game where the belligerants actually attack neturals?

Actually, Germany isn't disbanding units in 39 anymore. If you compare starting units, to units at fortnight 2 september, they are the same.

You can do this by pressing CTRL-Z and going into statistics and looking at the "current" unit statistics for Germany. In all the 1.1 games I've tested on 39, Germany starts with 80 INF and after a turn of war it still has 80-81 INF (where under BETA3 it would have 40).
Thanks for the ctrl z thing, I'll try check. Myself I didn't notice disbanding, now the problem is more in Deity mode when playing France that there's too many German "bands"! :D

Once again (sometimes I sound like a broken record repeating myself ;)) changes to the way the AI prepares for war makes it slower to start. Like I said above, in the 39 map it pretty much renders the first year of war fairly peaceful. :(
Mmm Italy attacking France the turn after they enter war. Germany attacking Poland the turn after they enter war, same for Copenhagen. France attacking Germany the turn they enter war (that one made me laugh but I really enjoyed it). The AI is more cautious that original Civ4 AI but RtW UE 1.1 seems doing a good job even in Europe 39 map.

I'm not changing neutral units again. Fullstop! I don't give a . .. .. .. . how many times people scream "historical accuracy". The fact neutral units were stronger is the number two reason why the AI did not attack neutrals. It did not consider the odds good enough.

So put up and shut about the neutrals. What would you prefer, historical accuracy or a game where the belligerants actually attack neturals?
:D I understand and was expecting that reaction! Dam to this false historical accuracy, it's like people screaming about "realism" as if a game has anything real or if "realism" was a safe way to improve game play, not it's not.

Hmm, what happened with culture? Can only see espionage rate, and Research rate (im playing wth Yugoslavia, didnt check others). Also there is still a star on the Yugoslav flag, which is huge historical mistake.

ya im playing a diety game atm on a Europe map as Britain..due to my city deffence promotion France didn't fall..they lost 2 cities becuz I had to retreat back wards due to the incoming tanks and units..and had to build up more deffence..I took back the cities France lost and never let Paris Fall...Im taking heavy losses in my Air Force due to the fact I spent most my time making Infantry to hold French Land..Britain is coverd in battlefield smoke from bombings..but all is well cuz Germany didnt take France and so soon we will outproduce em..and once they invade the USSR itll be a cake walk from there.

I dont think Ill finish this British game because im looking for more of a challenge
I think Ill be Austria or Czechoslovakia next..on a Europe map of course so I can have 2 cities..gonna play on diety and see how long I can hold..if at all..against Germany
After Them Its time to try Germany but on a world map..and in turn ill prolly turn off bitter winter because it causes major time increse in waiting between turns..so ill have to find a way to boost the USSR so they arnt a cake walk
Your description is appealing I can't wait play UK, well playing France also at Deity, ouch not sure I'll keep on.

Lost the air battle against Germany when usually I win it overall (before Italy enter war) because they was sending too many planes to Poland. And now Italy enter war I have no hope to gain air control until a long time so I throw a plan I rarely used or with poor results, focus on anti air, make them sleep until I have many and then hope provocation of enemy planes hurt them enough with anti air and hope finish some with the small air fleet I still have.

Germany almost fully destroyed my entire ship army near France, thanks UK reply and probably finished destroy German ship army.

Bastard Italian destroyed 2 tanks and they still haven't yet launch a big assault.

Not to mention that I expect too much on Air control through planes so have no Artillery. And I underestimate Tanks new AI behavior and still don't have any Artillery.

Will I survive? :D

About current party you play, are you sure AI already setup on you the stronger pressure it can? As time pass it becomes more hot if you don't push them back before. At this point you already lost Belgium will eventually be unable to help Yugoslavians and Greece, I wonder if you'll really get an easy game. Myself i have been highly surprised when playing USSR have taken most of Poland plus one ore two German town and see pressure rise and not how progress more. That said, when playing British you have more strategy option, for example Italy can be the weak point in Mediterranean area.

EDIT : About USSR coming saving you well, what about Italy? And if you let Yugoslavia fall expect Italy, Hungary, Romania and even Finland take USSR busy.

how do i know if i have ue 1.0 or ue 1.1? i downloaded some version of ue on the 8/05, and dont know if i have the rite one or not?

and just a historical question, britians first tank the mark VI, this refers to the Crusader or the Vickers?

Top Bottom