World Wonders – Suggestions / Requests

By and large the wonders in Civ IV are pretty great. But there's always room for something different.

I think the Terracotta Army and Petra should be in. As well as the seven ancient wonders. Through in there the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Great Wall, The Bamyan Buddhas, Cristo Redentor, Statue of Liberty, Burj Dubai, Flavian Amphitheatre, Alhambra and Taj Mahal. That's a good start.

However, I think civ differences make the game have a lot of lasting appeal. Picking the combo of traits, UU, UB and other things means you can play the game with multiple strengths. Just really makes sense to me to have Egypt have an edge building wonders and Mongolia have an edge in combat.

all the talk about Manhattan project on the first page, you guys should check out revDCM for civ4. It makes it so that it allows 1 scientist in the city its built in, and it gives 25% science to that city. Makes it a little more worth it. Plus it adds in the nuclear bomber unit, a more traditional way to deliver the nukes. If your really interested in that, I might add that you'd be better off just getting the killmeRevDCM mod (I know shameless plug), but it is the exact same thing, only it adds 3 more modcomps, Defender Withdrawal, Commanders, and Occasional Promotions. Its 100% the best combat mod out there for civ4.

I really want to have the first computer, the Zuse Z3, in the civ series. Has a way bigger impact on our civilization than the LHC or the SETI project.

1. No wonders like Leonardo's Workshop or JS Bach's Cathedral. I know they were a big part of the old series, but after the introduction of Great People in Civ4, I think it's proper that they aren't necessary. Some may disagree on this with me, of course...

:yup: agree.

Magna Carta
[...]
Freud's Interpretation of Dreams
[...]
Map of Human Gnome

Maybe better for something equivalent to projects.

Then we also have to include Atlantis as a civ...

Kinderdike Mills

I'll have to look up, what this is...and i don't know, if it's not a good sign for my knowledge or for this thing.

A big sign of madness...i hope, it will never be in a game of the civ series.

I would like to see the Sydney Opera House, if only to be a token gesture to Australasia and - much more importantly - my home town. :)

I am glad that the wonders in Civ 4 were much more focussed on actual big, "concrete" structures, rather than more conceptual ideas like Cure for Cancer, Magellan's Expedition or Leonardo's Workshop. For that reason I like the addition of Great People. I also LOVED the wonder movies in Civ 4; much more so than Civ 2. It's really cool seeing the wonder transform from an idea on papyrus/paper/computer through a work-in-progress to the final product. Compelling stuff.

I would like to see the Sydney Opera House, if only to be a token gesture to Australasia and - much more importantly - my home town. :)

I am glad that the wonders in Civ 4 were much more focussed on actual big, "concrete" structures, rather than more conceptual ideas like Cure for Cancer, Magellan's Expedition or Leonardo's Workshop. For that reason I like the addition of Great People. I also LOVED the wonder movies in Civ 4; much more so than Civ 2. It's really cool seeing the wonder transform from an idea on papyrus/paper/computer through a work-in-progress to the final product. Compelling stuff.

I'd like to see the wilderness of the Tarkine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarkine

The player could build it then log it. Greenies could protest and a new form of government could arise.... The Greenocracy!

The Labor and Liberal parties could become underground freedom fighters, fighting for the two party system.

The Panama Canal: You can only build it in a city that has oceans on opposite sides.

Optimizer's threads (a page back) are worth a vote in.

I reckon the Alhambra would make a good wonder, although I'm not what it would do. It would have to have to do with defence and culture. Perhaps a defensive bonus for the city it is in until gunpowder, and a heavy culture bonus for the city?

I'd like to see anti-wonders included. Like the waste land of Chernobyl, the slums of Kibera, homeless humanity such as in the Dadaab Refugee Settlements. You don't build these wonders, nor would you want them. You get stuck with them because of something you did. They give small negative effects and adversely affect diplomacy. If in your warring you burn cities to the ground, you might find a refugee camp popping up in your borders. If you run a certain civil system, slums might overtake a portion of a city. If you build a nuclear plant but don't pay the maintenance costs, you get a melt-down. etc

I love the current wonders in Civ 4, but in addition to those I'd like to see some iconic buildings from major world cities to give civ a more global coverage in terms of wonders(like the Christo Redentor wonder did for a poorly covered South America). Perhaps even make sure that for every civ in game, one of their remarkable or iconic buildings is available as a wonder. I don;t know about you, but whenever I play as France I try to build the Eiffel Tower in Paris, or the Parthenon in Athens for Greece etc.

You could add bonusses to these buildings according to the quality of the civ that built it in history, or according to the time it was constructed. For instance:

Houses of Parliament/Big Ben: Industrial/Imperial bonus
Sydney Opera House: Late game culture booster +maybe tradable opera's like broadway/hollywood/rock & roll
Golden Gate Bridge: Industry bonus/acts as a bridge between two land tiles
Brandenburg Gate(Berlin Wall): Makes the city immune to cultural conquests +espionage bonus/military bonus
(United States)Capitol building: Improves/adds bonusses to government buildings(Palace, Forbidden City, Versailles, Courthouses)

The building of the pyramids reflect the historical society, culture and religion of the ancient Egyptians. Would you expect for example the Vikings or the Chinese to build a similar building?

Actually, the space-men built the pyramids:scan:...every:scan:, single:scan:, one:scan:... They built them in Egypt cuz no wheres else was there so much useless land. This is obvious.

And I like the anti-wonder idea, sounds fun. You could just go and relocate the refugees to some island some wheres. :nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::popcorn:

I'd like for the Forbidden Palace/Versailles-like wonder to be unique for each civilization.

England-Buckingham Palace
France-Versailles
Germany-Sanssouci
Greece-...........
Rome-Any one of the imperial retreats of the emperors.......there's a bunch
Ottomans-Topkapi Palace
Arabs-It's a stretch, but Alhambra?
Egyptians-probably something I'm forgetting that's incredibly obvious
Songhai-There has to have been a name for Askia's palace......
Aztecs-Moctezuma's Palace(not the one in Arizona, btw)
Inca-Macchu Pichu
China-Forbidden City(Same thing as below, but it differences it)
Mongolia-Forbidden Palace(Guess who built it)
Japan-Edo Castle(Many to choose from)
Russia-Winter Palace
India-Kumhrar? That's the closest thing I could find to Ashoka's palace

Balinese Rice Terraces are not unique, there are also in the Philippines, also a lot big.

I would like to see the landing on the moon as a wonder.

I would like to see the landing on the moon as a wonder.

We've had that already: the Apollo Program, which in Civ4 was a national wonder allowing construction of Space Race parts. The Sputnik program is actually much more important, so we should probably have had that instead (though modern wonders in Civ games seem to be there as for the purposes of American "nationalist masturbation").

I'd like for the Forbidden Palace/Versailles-like wonder to be unique for each civilization.

England-Buckingham Palace
France-Versailles
Germany-Sanssouci
Greece-...........
Rome-Any one of the imperial retreats of the emperors.......there's a bunch
Ottomans-Topkapi Palace
Arabs-It's a stretch, but Alhambra?
Egyptians-probably something I'm forgetting that's incredibly obvious
Songhai-There has to have been a name for Askia's palace......
Aztecs-Moctezuma's Palace(not the one in Arizona, btw)
Inca-Macchu Pichu
China-Forbidden City(Same thing as below, but it differences it)
Mongolia-Forbidden Palace(Guess who built it)
Japan-Edo Castle(Many to choose from)
Russia-Winter Palace
India-Kumhrar? That's the closest thing I could find to Ashoka's palace

Macchu Pichu should definetly be in.......it is the 4th wonder of the world.

The logic behind this is that nuclear proliferation is inevitable. Once the technology is discovered, it's tough to keep a lid on it.

Mainly I want the wonders available at each stage of the game to be of similar power level. For example, there's no reason for the Pyramids to cost 500; they would be a lot more interesting if the cost was reasonable. This would add more strategic depth to the choice among development paths.

Well not totally true. Iran is building it's own Manhattan Project right now....other nations have had to come up with the technology largely on their own as well. Often with help, but not always. It's a bit unrealistic to give access to nuclear weapons to all nations as soon as one figures them out. I suppose it could be made into a tradable commodity of sorts....a reflection of the fact that the nation who comes up with it first does have the option to share the secrets with another civ. In that case though you might as well just make it a technology, with certain bonuses given to the first to discover it. Cheaper production of weapons, for instance.

The logic behind this is that nuclear proliferation is inevitable. Once the technology is discovered, it's tough to keep a lid on it.

I wonder if it would be too complicated to have a two-tier system that would model proliferation. Make a Great Wonder (the Manhattan Project) and a corresponding National Wonder (not sure what to call that - Nuclear Weapons Program maybe?) Once any nation builds the Manhattan Project, then every nation is able to build the Nuclear Weapons Program. A nation would need to either be the one that built the Manhattan Project or have built its own Nuclear Weapons Program in order to build nukes. Of course, the Manhattan Project would cost a lot more than the Nuclear Weapons Program, but the NWP would still cost a not-insignificant amount to build. This would both model non proliferation and allow for a period of time in which the owner of the Manhattan Project had a nuclear monopoly.

Balinese Rice Terraces are not unique, there are also in the Philippines, also a lot big.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong - the rice terraces in Bali are stunning, some of the most beautiful agriculture I've ever seen. But, as blacksmit points out, they aren't particularly unique. Other examples of visually stunning rice terraces that represent impressive engineering include not only the Banue Rice Terraces in the Phillipines, but also the Dragon's Backbone Terraces in China and many other places in Southeast Asia.

My contribution for new wonders to include in Civ 5 is Borobudur Temple near Jogjakarta in Indonesia.

At least the actual world wonders should be implemented.

In the ancient world:
Pyramids
Great Lighthouse
Colossus
Hanging Gardens
Statue of Zeus
Temple of Artemis
Mausoleum of Alicarnassus

(They were all present in Civ4, so keep them all)

In the modern world:
Machu Pichu
Christ the Redeemer
Chicken Itza
Colosseum
Petra
Great Wall
Taj Mahal

Rename the current colosseum in "ampitheater", being a standard building. The "colosseum" should be a world wonder.

Besides... well, I'm Italian, I surely vote for the Colosseum! :)

Top Bottom