Favourite Civs for an expansion - proper poll using Alexanders research

PLEASE READ FIRST POST! MULTIPLE CHOICES POSSIBLE! Which Civs should be in an Addon?

• Persia (partly confirmed)

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Inca (partly confirmed)

Votes: 95 42.0%
  • Siam (partly confirmed)

Votes: 47 20.8%
  • Spain (Europe)

Votes: 162 71.7%
  • Portugal (Europe)

Votes: 87 38.5%
  • Austria/HRE/other German Civ (Europe)

• The Netherlands (Europe)

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Poland (Europe)

• Vikings (Europe)

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • The Celts (Europe)

Votes: 73 32.3%
  • Byzantine (Europe)

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Babylon (Orient)

Votes: 116 51.3%
  • Israel/Hebrews (Orient)

Votes: 55 24.3%
  • Hittites/Sumerians/Assyrians (Orient)

Votes: 68 30.1%
  • Korea (Asia)

Votes: 79 35.0%
  • Khmer (Asia)

Votes: 59 26.1%
  • Majapahit/Indonesians (Asia)

Votes: 42 18.6%
  • Vietnam (Asia)

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Another Indian Civ (Mughal etc.) (Asia)

Votes: 19 8.4%
  • Any other Asian Civ (there were a lot!)

Votes: 28 12.4%
  • North American Natives (Sioux, Iroquis,...)

Votes: 72 31.9%
  • Carthago/Phoenicians (Africa)

Votes: 107 47.3%
  • More Sub-Sahara Civs

Votes: 51 22.6%
  • Any modern state (Canada, Australia, Brazil,...)

Votes: 32 14.2%
  • AN IMPORTANT OPTION IS MISSING !!!

Votes: 27 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
my examples were simple; russian society speaking mostly french during balls in 19th century etc.

France had an impact on the aristocracy of 19th century Russia. How much lasting impact does France have on overall 20th/21st century Russian society?

and i'll give another example then, as u still don't cut the issue; hebrews have a great cultural effect on usa though israel is a very weak country by all means. i think this is more weird than all.
Yeah, I think getting into Israel is not a good idea for this forum. I'll just say that US-Israel policy is mostly driven by what the general US public supports, not by the influence of some "hebrew culture".

France had an impact on the aristocracy of 19th century Russia. How much lasting impact does France have on overall 20th/21st century Russian society?
I said France was a superpowr in medieval/renaissance era, not today anyway. i was always talking about napoleon era and till late 19th cent maybe. the peak of france.
Yeah, I think getting into Israel is not a good idea for this forum. I'll just say that US-Israel policy is mostly driven by what the general US public supports, not by the influence of some "hebrew culture".
masonic ideals are already hebrew/templar culture which us is based on.

I said France was a superpowr in medieval/renaissance era, not today anyway.

19th century is neither medieval nor renaissance. Nor is Napoleon.
The discussion was on how significant France was *outside* of Europe. In the medieval/Renaissance era (maybe 900-1600) this was basically nil. Also, I'd grant France Great Power status for most of this period, but I dunno about Superpower status for anything except a short window of Napoleon.
And don't conflate the language of Court and dancing styles with actual impact on the general population of other countries.

masonic ideals are already hebrew/templar culture which us is based on.
Uhh.. what? I assure you the US is not based on Masonic, Hebrew or Templar culture (if such a thing even existed).

Sounds like a Dan Brown novel.

Uhh.. what? I assure you the US is not based on Masonic, Hebrew or Templar culture (if such a thing even existed).

Sounds like a Dan Brown novel.
no, not necessarily dan brown.

ok i did it wrong to go into politics though i still believe that tradition just started during holy wars and playing an important role on most of the western countries.

anyway. enough we did this thread a france-us cultural discussion place. a guy will shout at us :) i'm not underestimating any country anyway

France had an impact on the aristocracy of 19th century Russia. How much lasting impact does France have on overall 20th/21st century Russian society?.

Maybe the millions of tourists (not just russians that come here only to buy Dior, jean-paul Gauthier, yves St Laurent, Louis Vuitton, Champagne, Cognac, wines, etc...but also a lot of Chinese, japanese...and americans:lol:) that come in france each year can answer this question?

Indeed, if the cultural impact of France is so ridiculous in the world, why all those people come here to spend their money buying those little ridiculous Eiffel towers?:lol:

Just have a look about the most visited countries in the world, you'll see spain, and... France!!! I think it's cultural attraction, isn't it?

You'll certainly tell me that France is just a big nice museum.....but we are talking about culture, no?;)

Fashion, food, tourism. Fair enough.

I guess I had "political influence" or "institutional influence" in mind (metric system was a good example), which is not quite the same as culture.

@dale
12? i think that list is too much skeptical.
according to that point of view, we can be so much skeptical as to say a civ to be likely after seeing it played in a demo. games can always be changed at the last minute.
shortly, i don't find that list realistic. it says alex, suleiman and genghis to be likely IN the game. either 15 is confirmed or none of them is confirmed.
in the beginning, i didn't believe any rumor because the internet site just didn't show anything. but now i think; if we won't believe 100% else than what firaxis says, then we won't know anything till buying the game. because firaxis guys make so many interviews but say so less.

Skeptical? But when you only consider primary and multiple secondary sources as confirmation then you only have 12. There's a number of Civs mentioned 1 or 2 by unreliable sources which people are taking for granted. It may work out they will be in, but we'd rather take the conservative approach for now.

The "likely" tag is because it's been mentioned in passing by someone, and from history of Civ games we can say "yeah it's likely that Genghis is in". Can't say he's "definitely" in till its confirmed reliably.

Let´s vote guys. Perhaps the developers look this things.

I'm quite sure (and hope) they look here sometimes, but we shouldn't believe just because we make a poll here things will be as we wish.

While wishes from the fans are of course important, Firaxis has more to consider, like political correctness or if the suggested civ has enough city names, a proper leader, UU and UB. Which regions are over/underrepresented? We mentioned it all already in this thread.

Devs tend to hate it when some fans are forcing a feature to be in by making 1000 threads about it... They usually have reasons many fans don't understand, like budget restrictions or balancing issues, to not put features in their games.

Europe
Orient
Asia
Americas
Sub-Saharanean Afrika

OK wheres the representative of Oceania !!!!

i am quite sure they don't care much about these polls even if they check. 1upt is a proof for this.
if someone made a poll like "would you like 1upt for civ5" before civ5 was announced to have 1upt, i am sure the poll would be 80%no.
but now, we see most guys praising 1upt.
so that is the habit of most gamers. because of their fancy on SM, they mostly believe it will be good.

so shortly i believe, developers think like this:
if now (before any confirmation on new game) i ask posters whether they would like 1upt or not, they will mostly say 'no'. but if i do it w/ asking and just say 'we will have 1 upt in the game and new combat system is great', then the gamers will mostly like 1upt idea.

this is their style. don't get me wrong, i am not saying this style is right or not. so just poll it for fun, and don't expect developers to obey it.
i don't even think they decide which civs to be IN according to polls. sure, songhai is a proof for this. if someone made a poll for civ5 before any civ confirmation, songhai wouldn't take much votes.

NOTE: 1upt is just an example here. it could be sth else. but it is no secret that i still don't support the 1upt idea.
songhai is also just an example here, i try to say most gamers don't know much about it. i make no underestimation of songhai empire in history.

i am quite sure they don't care much about these polls even if they check. 1upt is a proof for this.
if someone made a poll like "would you like 1upt for civ5" before civ5 was announced to have 1upt, i am sure the poll would be 80%no.
but now, we see most guys praising 1upt.
so that is the habit of most gamers. because of their fancy on SM, they mostly believe it will be good.

so shortly i believe, developers think like this:
if now (before any confirmation on new game) i ask posters whether they would like 1upt or not, they will mostly say 'no'. but if i do it w/ asking and just say 'we will have 1 upt in the game and new combat system is great', then the gamers will mostly like 1upt idea.

this is their style. don't get me wrong, i am not saying this style is right or not. so just poll it for fun, and don't expect developers to obey it.
i don't even think they decide which civs to be IN according to polls. sure, songhai is a proof for this. if someone made a poll for civ5 before any civ confirmation, songhai wouldn't take much votes.

NOTE: 1upt is just an example here. it could be sth else. but it is no secret that i still don't support the 1upt idea.
songhai is also just an example here, i try to say most gamers don't know much about it. i make no underestimation of songhai empire in history.

Very true! The best possible Civ game is not the lowest common denominator of all ideas the fans have.
Most fans make suggestions they would not implement themselves if they thought about it a second time, despite first crying how incredibly smart they are and how stupid the Devs :rolleyes:

Of course, if someone made a poll "would you like the Stack of Doom mechanic to be removed" then I suspect you would have had 70% yes....

Similarly, if you'd asked "should there be a sub-saharan civ?" most people would say yes, and if you'd asked "should the included civs be more than 1/3 from Europe" people would say no.

So, the current top ten (eleven, because of the #8 ex aequo) are:

#1 Spain (125)
#2 Vikings (100)
#3 Persia (98)
#4 Babylon (91)
#5 Carthago (80)
#6 Inca (73)
#7 Portugal (71)
#8 Byzantine (69)
#8 The Netherlands (69)
#9 Korea (62)
#10 Celts (56)

I must say I'm quite impressed by Portugal's score. I guess there must be more Portuguese around here than I thought.

i clicked portugal as well. i guess that at least half of that 71 votes may be non-portuguese guys.

I guess there must be more Portuguese around here than I thought.

Most people make votes based on their knowledge of history, rather than nationalism. Portugal was an important exploratory and colonial power. I'd put them roughly on par with the Dutch in importance (who ended up taking over half their colonies).

Besides, modern portugal is completely irrelevant - but there are a whole lot of Brazilians.

I would really rather see the Vikings included more then anything since they were a real historical civ who colonized much of modern European Russia as well as most of the North Atlantic all the way to Newfoundland.

Portugal! OF COURSE!
But over the options on:
- Any other Asian civ: Mongols!!! (Khan Rules)
- More sub. Sahara Civ - Zulus!!! (Shaka Rules)
- Any modern state: South Africa (Nelson Mandela), Brasil (Emperor D. Pedro or President Lula), Cuba (Fidel Castro).

Siam as in Thais!

ok.....

Europe
Orient
Asia
Americas
Sub-Saharanean Afrika

OK wheres the representative of Oceania !!!!

Top Bottom