Civ5 manual errata

On page 30, it says mountains yield a 25% combat modifier. Could this be an error (or do air units gain a 25% defensive bonus)?

Courthouse p. 164 p. 214 - ought to mention that this building cannot be purchased with gold.

I'm glad they didn't ship a paper manual with the game.

Angkor Wat p. 154 culture cost of acquiring new tiles reduced 75% compared to Krepost: p 165 increases culture border growth 50%. Is this the same effect with different wording? How would these bonuses stack?

English
  • p47. Under description of Ranged Units, archer combat strength of 7. Should be 4.

That whole paragraph is messed up. It lists archers as having a ranged strength of 8 - should be 6 according to the unit description later in the manual.

Page 47 Ranged Combat Example said:
An Archer unit, for example, has a Combat Strength of 7, a Ranged Combat Strength of 8, and a Range of 2. It can attack enemy units one or two hexes away with a Strength of 7. However, if an enemy
unit attacks it, it defends with its Combat Strength of 4.

Manual entry for Archer said:
Archer
Strength: 4, Ranged: 6
Range: 2
Movement: 2
Cost: 70
Technology Required: Archery
Resources Required: None
Special Abilities: Performs Ranged attacks

This is a huge problem for me -- the screenshots starting on page 20 in the English version show very old and totally out-of-date versions of the game's main interface. Note that in the upper right, there's a large "V" button -- that hasn't appeared in screenshots in quite a long time. All newer screenshots show three large buttons in the upper right of the interface: social policies, advisors, and diplomacy.

The old interface appears on the following pages of the English manual:

20, 21, 24

One thing I've noticed is that the screenshots seem to be from an older version of Civ V. For instance, I believe in the final game the strategic view button is shown as a "Hex" icon, but in the manual it's shown as a button with the text "strategic view"....

ETA: This was in the English version

Attachments

• manual old interface screenshot.PNG
    manual old interface screenshot.PNG
    469.3 KB · Views: 512
English version, page 117, emphasis added:

"To win a cultural victory, you must acquire five complete “branches” of social policies – that is, you must own all policies within six different branches."

This sentence contradicts itself.

p. 195 To upload a mod you must have a gamespy account. Surely, that should be steam account?

p. 209 English version: In the table, the incorrect Longbowman range of 2 (instead of the correct 3) is given.

It says in one place that the Burial Tomb replaces the Temple, but in another that it requires Theology. I assume this is a mistake. The Temple requires Philosophy.

Also, this is just wrong:

"Culture is a measurement of your civilization’s commitment to and appreciation of the arts
and humanities – everything from cave paintings and Tiki heads to “Hamlet,” or Beethoven’s
Ninth Symphony to Lady Gaga’s latest video."
-Civ V Manual

Lady Gaga in the same sentence as Shakespeare and Beethoven.

barrack, military academy, armory -- all listed as providing 15 EXP
arsenal is a bonus to land unit production, but requires military academy.

It seems to me that armory should be a production building, and the prereq for arsenal. It doesn't seem right that a building providing EXP should be a prereq for a production building and there are 3 buildings giving EXP and only 1 for production.

On page 19 the screen shot of the window with all four advisors has the title "Advisor Counsel to Warlord A of the B". This should be something like Warlord Napoleon of the French.

p.216 Solar plant - " City must border a Desert" should be City must be on or border a desert.

Seems beta testing already begins with the manual :rolleyes:.

p. 195 To upload a mod you must have a gamespy account. Surely, that should be steam account?

No, steam has nothing to do with mods, gamespy is right here, Greg has already confirmed this.

Also, this is just wrong:

"Culture is a measurement of your civilization’s commitment to and appreciation of the arts
and humanities – everything from cave paintings and Tiki heads to “Hamlet,” or Beethoven’s
Ninth Symphony to Lady Gaga’s latest video."
-Civ V Manual

Lady Gaga in the same sentence as Shakespeare and Beethoven.

For idiotic statements, please open a new thread.
And please add directly the nina dinosaurs to it.
At least they did not mention Justin Bieber :rolleyes:.

Oy. Seems kinda sad for a digital-based manual to have so many errors, inconsistencies, and/or out-of-date info.

Something like this could've been updated until the last moment.

Maybe instead of doing interviews and demos some folks who know the game well could be proofreading. :p

Oy. Seems kinda sad for a digital-based manual to have so many errors, inconsistencies, and/or out-of-date info.

Something like this could've been updated until the last moment.

Maybe instead of doing interviews and demos some folks who know the game well could be proofreading. :p

At least we didn't get a print manual. I wouldn't mind if they update the manual ocasionally.

Here's my list of errors to add to the list (all English). Hopefully I didn't dup anything already posted.

Page 10: I thought SA's were Civ specific and not Leader specific
"It also displays the leader’s “trait” (special ability) and the civilization’s unique units and buildings."

Page 36: No bonus resources listed that increase gold output.
"Bonus resources increase the food and gold output of a hex."

Page 116: Domination references a "conquest" victory which no longer exists.
"However, you cannot win a conquest victory until and unless you recapture your own original capital."

Page 132/139 - Inconsistent references (Leader vs. Civ)
Brute: "...may be converted to the player’s side when playing as Bismarck."
Galley: "...may be converted to your side when playing as the Ottomans."

Page 163 - UB property listed last instead of first like all others.
Burial Tomb: "+2 Culture and +2 Happiness empire-wide, but it doubles the amount of Gold the enemy receives if this City is captured. An Egyptian Unique Building."

Page 167 - Poor wording
Military Base: "+12 Defense, requires that either a Castle or Mughal Fort."

Page 61 (english)

Great Generals are “Great People” skilled in the art of warfare. They provide combat bonuses
– offensive and defensive bonuses both — to any friendly units within one tile of their location.

A Great General gives a combat bonus of 25% to units in the General’s tile and all friendly
units within 2 tiles of the General

English P172, windmill:

should be "must" instead of cannot right?
PD: The spanish versión says must

I checked the Italian version: "La città non deve trovarsi su una collina." (the city must not be found on a hill). So it's quite possible the Spanish version is incorrect here.

BTW, I'm not a native Italian speaker, but I believe "trovarsi" is incorrect. Should be "fondare" (trovarsi is to find, not to found. Then again, that's almost an English mistake before the translation :D ).

p203 policies liberty and citizenship report about construction rate of settlers and workers
p158 and p 218 pyramids also reports construction rate of workers increase 50%

This is poor wording. The settlers are produced 50% cheaper (liberty) whereas I believe the workers build improvements 25% faster (citizenship) and 50% faster (pyramids).

Not sure if this is an error, but sure seems weird:

Page 86 states clearing a forest takes 3 turns. Page 88 states constructing a farm takes 6 turns. But, constructing a farm on a forested tile takes 10 turns?

Same pattern holds for jungle and marshes and other improvements (like mines..)

English manual.

Page 89. Trading Post increases output of a tile by 1 gold.

Page 220. Trading Post yields +2 Gold.

Top Bottom