Which ideology seems strongest?

• Autocracy

Votes: 46 28.0%
  • Freedom

Votes: 61 37.2%
  • Order

Votes: 57 34.8%

• Total voters
Well, I think everybody is overlooking the fact that in order to unlock a superior tier tenet you need a fixed number of tenets ie 3 tier-1 tenets for 2nd tier-2 tenet & 4 tier-2 tenets for 2nd tier-3 tenets.
Accordingly, the main sequence of tenet acquisition is :
1 1 2 1 2 3 1 2 1 2 3 1 2 1 2 3

It accounts for 21 772 800 possible paths to complete it all !
Subsequently, each tier-3 favors one VC as previously stated in previews. It suggests that when starting ideology anyone should have a prefered victory to go for and choose tenets with this in mind. The first tier-3 cannot be chosen until the 6th unlock ! any tenet beyond that may be superfluous, so it's really 18 900 possible paths optimized to 10 800 possibilities ruling out UH.

Each ideology has 3 tier-3 tenets, and each of those tier-3 tenets is specifically targeted at one victory condition, so you're unlikely to want to open 2 tier-3 tenets. Of course you can only open a tier-3 tenet with the 6th unlick, but if you are the first to that ideology you get 2 free unlocks, so you only really need 4.

And what determines how fast you get them?

It looks like they're chosen just like social policies. In the Rev3 preview (I think) you see him hover over a tenet after he's already selected one and it says ~5000 needed for the next pick, which matches the culture counter for SPs along the top of the screen.

Autocracy
Lighning Warfare:
+3 Movment for GG. Armour units gain +15% attack, +1 movment and ignore enemy ZOC

I noticed that one too. Not sure how it will play out, but I'm guessing the human player will be able to exploit it to crush the AI in tactical warfare even more than now.

What happened to Kamikaze, did they scrap that one?

I find it strange that Order, instead of Freedom, has Hero of the People: +25% Great People. I don't remember many great Communist artists.

I noticed that one too. Not sure how it will play out, but I'm guessing the human player will be able to exploit it to crush the AI in tactical warfare even more than now.

What happened to Kamikaze, did they scrap that one?

Looks like they scrapped Kamikaze for the moment, although I thought that would be a pretty good tenet in the hands of the AI. No need to calculate what happens with the unit the next turn :D And it sounded pretty deadly in the hands of Japan with Bushido.

I think that there are a few placeholder tenets at the moment (like Universal Health Care, that exists in all three trees), and that others possibly might still be changed, so we might see Kamikaze back. It might just have had a critical bug at the moment they were building the build that was send to the reviewers.

I find it strange that Order, instead of Freedom, has Hero of the People: +25% Great People. I don't remember many great Communist artists.

Freedom has Avant Garde, which also gives +25% Great People. I assume that the actual ability for Hero of the People had an issue they couldn't fix in time before sending the build to the reviewers.

Considering that Hero of the Soviet Union was a medal for bravery, it would make more sense if Hero of the People increased the rate and/or effectiveness of Great Generals.

Freedom has Avant Garde, which also gives +25% Great People. I assume that the actual ability for Hero of the People had an issue they couldn't fix in time before sending the build to the reviewers.

Considering that Hero of the Soviet Union was a medal for bravery, it would make more sense if Hero of the People increased the rate and/or effectiveness of Great Generals.

I really should look into it more before I post. As long as Freedom has some kind of tenet that makes more Great People then it all makes sense again. Still, I guess the Hero of the People has more to do with the Cult of Personality following Communist leaders.

It seems like some of these imply changes to current policies or maybe existing civ UAs. Any word on them, or if some of those changes could alter opinions of some of these tenets?

Veneke, thanks for the explanation. It looks tenets are coming mid-game at the earliest? Unless they're reducing the cost (I hope not), how many tenets do you think we'll end up getting in a non-cultural game?

Well, it's still the Modern Era or 3 factories to unlock the option. Although, I suspect we'll see the AIs rush for the Modern Era if they don't have easy access to coal so long as the free picks are going. Snipperrabbit!! did the math a bit back that we needed at least 6 picks to get to tier 3. Honestly, I'd be surprised if you got beyond that in a non-culture game.

I'm a little disappointed that Freedom has tenets that are good for any victory condition. Order and Autocracy have none in Diplomacy or Science respectively (and Autocracy's sole diplomatic tenet is a bit mediocre in comparison to what Freedom is sporting) but Freedom has three pretty decent tier 2 tenets for Domination and looks very strong all-round.

I think Hero of the People would be better for production or happiness. At least when I read it, I think of how the Soviet gov't would tout exaggerated 'model citizens', like a miner who mined for 24 hours straight or a nurse who treats 200 people in a day.

I think seeing two Order civilizations going head to head, trying to win Cultural victory, will be interesting, if they both pick Cultural Revolution and Dictatorship of the Proletariat.

The one who will be more happy than the other gets +68% bonus to tourism spread to the other - this will be huge. So imagine both of them racing to build more happiness buildings, despite having their happiness in 100s.

There have been a lot of artists from communist countries though. And it's not like all artists born in the West were great supporters of capitalism and Western-style democracy, either.

Besides, it's Great People, not GWAM - this also means engineers, scientists, generals and admirals.

Sketching on a mod already.

Freedom: Remove Urbanization & Capitalism (Freedom civilizations should be limited in size, and more Luxury-dependent) and Arsenal of Democracy (too strong, too many military tenets)
Competition: Each Bank gives 3 slots for Scientists, Engineers and Merchants
Consumerism: Each Market doubles effect of Luxuries
Sanctuary: Receives 1 Great Person when a Freedom city or a city-state is lost, if you are at peace with them; also when a foreign civilization adopts Order or Autocracy.

Order: Remove Party Rule (lackluster bonus without focus), Hero of the People (Order should not be GP-focused) and Skyscrapers (not typical to Order)
Revolutionary War: -33% military maintenance when at war against a non-Order civilization.
Industrial Espionage: Taken from Autocracy.
Subbotnik: Workers work 50% faster.

Autocracy: Remove Industrial Espionage (does not fit with strategy)
National Rebirth: +1 Culture from Archaeological Artifacts and Sites

? Remove industrial espionage?

Industrial Espionage (the trait not the name) fits perfectly in heavy aggression strategies. Warring a lot will often cut into your hammers for science and growth, which means if you are playing on relatively even ground you are unlikely to be the tech leader. Assuming I'm not already 100% winning before Industrial comes along, I don't see how it can't fit the strategy to be able to steal faster from someone who might have a tech lead on you.

Top Bottom