Masterly Timing or Coincidence?

vincentz

Programmer
In my mod (see sig) which has no BetterAI, RevDCM, BUG or any other component that adjust the AI, I experienced one of the finest orchestrated naval assaults I have ever seen.

Being in an "alliance" with my hindu brothers (Zara and Suleiman) we had fought a couple of wars together, and when I saw the sails of an armada coming from the east, I knew it was time to gather the footmen, dust of the plate armors, and strap on the steel plates. My nobles gathered in the capital, and a war budget was being drawn.
But something was different this time. The sails where larger, the oars where gone and thunder sounded from metal tubes along the ships sides. Gunpowder had been invented. So I sent my spies to investigate, told my scientist to research and my diplomats to trade. A new era had begun.

As fleets of galleons arrived at my bordercity of Seville, they hailed me and asked me to be brothers in arms in the crusade against the vile vikings. As many times before, the request would be honored, but as the fleets turned Cap Santiago, the most western part of my republic, I still did not have ships large enough to carry 1000's of men across the ocean. Instead I sent a small fleet of caravels.

When the fleet combined of ethiopian, ottoman and spanish caravels and galleons entered the puny despot state of the viking waters, there was great movement on the ground, and soon after hordes of vikings were seen pulling the oars of their longships. But not even a strong seafaring viking vessel could match a broadside of a galleons cannons, and one after another they ended on the bottom of the sea.

The admirals gathered on the flagship and decided a combined siege on the capital would attract the viking defense, and then a taskforce from the south would swing in and capture the southern regions greatly assisted by the barbarian hordes which had been the reason of many failed viking expansions.

Spoiler :

And so it was. After the green civs to the right of me had sailed half way around the world (when they reached me they asked for my help, and had I been 10 turns ahead in research, I would have sent a couple of galleons myself), they disembarked on the same turn, around the same city BUT also with a small third army from the south, that managed to capture a city there. The whole campaign was so well timed and planned, that I could just lean back and say wow!. The combined arms used with different civs and the distance they had travelled would alone be a wow.

I've never seen the AI work that well together before...more commonly, you'll have "allies" that sit on the other side of the world, lending "moral support".

I've never seen the AI work that well together before...more commonly, you'll have "allies" that sit on the other side of the world, lending "moral support".

Indeed. The only time I've ever seen the ai work together is when they gang up on me.:sad:

Glad to see someone actually found allies that did something useful.

Top Bottom