Welcome to the Diplomacy II Sub-Forum!

The Capo

godless Heathen

WELCOME TO THE SUB-FORUM

Welcome to the Diplomacy II sub-forum! Diplomacy II is the second version of a mod that started out as a personal mod that was to be used amongst some friends over at Apolyton. It was first a personal mod that I used, and when we played a few MP games with it we decided to expand it and improve upon it. Around a year ago the first Diplomacy mod was released here at CFC, and it got well over 3,000 downloads.

I can say with all certainty that Diplomacy II will blow Diplomacy out of the water. Unlike the first Diplomacy mod, I have a lot of help on this one, from some really talented individuals, and I am a much better modder than I was a year ago. With this combination this mod can not fail.

The general concept of this mod is basically the same as other UXP (Unofficial eXpansion Pack) mods out there like Legends of Revolution, World of Legends, Rise of Mankind, Varietas Delectat/Quot Capita, etc. in that the mod will resemble an expansion pack to civilization. Where mine differs from those other ones is that I purposefully have created this mod for MP games. This means that my mod will be extremely close to stock-BtS play with only a few slight changes (lineated in post #3) to gameplay itself. For sure there will be plenty of additions and cool features, but any casual player of BtS will be able to make a quick and seamless transition to my mod, and anyone who has played plenty of mods will appreciate the fine quality in units and LHs (I am very picky when it comes to graphics, ask Nitram15) as well as the balanced features that have been added. This mod was created with the intention of maintaining a balance between new features and game-balance.

My mod will also feature module packs with modular civs that are plug-and-play ready to go with this mod. Every module pack will be fully flavored (unit and city-wise) and will have the same high level of graphic quality that the rest of the mod has. Some will be general module packs (featuring an assortment of civilizations) and some will be themed (Europe, the Americas, Natives etc.). The last Diplomacy mod had over thirty new civs to add. This one will have the same number, and MORE!

Feel free to post any threads you'd like (although I have made a few that should cover most of what anyone would discuss), or post in any thread here. This thread should be considered the general information thread for now, so if you have questions please ask them here. The next post will be a FAQ (which I will maintain and update when appropriate) of some questions I get about the mod a lot, so before posting you should check that out in case I have answered your question.

F.A.Q.

Here is the FAQ for the Diplomacy II Mod. I am going to update this regularly whenever I encounter a commonly asked question:

Where can I download this?
  • You can't. The old Diplomacy mod was for version 3.17, as we are in version 3.19 (and it doesn't work for that, believe me, I checked) I have taken it down. This mod is currently unavailable. But I do put out regular playtests, so if you'd like to help me playtest (ad in the process get the mod) simply PM me.

When will this mod be released?
  • Everyone who has been following my mod for a while knows that this changes all the time. I think, based on my original plans, the mod should have been out a couple of weeks ago. But I am a stickler and a perfectionist, so sometimes I dote on one small issue until it is as perfect as I can get it. Currently the planned release date is sometime in May.

Why don't you use RevDCM, WoC, BULL, etc.?
  • As stated previously, the intent of the mod is to be used for MP games. Many of the very popular mods do not work in MP, and while they are working on it, I didn't want to diminish that aspect of the mod. Diplomacy remembers its roots (Apolyton Diplomacy Games) and I gotta stick with my roots. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with those mods, and I play them all the time. I'd just rather not use them in this mod. I would welcome modders to add these to my mod later if they'd like, but I am not going to do that myself.

Why did you remove a civ like the HRE, but add the Iroquois? Certainly there are civs that made a bigger historical impact than the Iroquois?
  • I didn't mean to pick on the Iroquois specifically here, I just used them as an example. I get PMs like this a lot, I don't quite get what the big deal with it is, although I suppose it does make sense. Firstly, any concerns anyone has over which civs I did and did not include can stop now: I am making modular-civ packs that include such "small" civs as Haiti and Puerto Rico (sorry Madman) and "big" civs like Austria and the Assyrian Empire. The new civs (Vietnam, Israel, and Iroquois) made the cut for various reasons, the best explanation would be to flavor the mod. I think another middle-eastern (particularly one with a vanilla religion), North American, and Asian civ would add to the flavor of the mod. They also had great unit-art by two of my favorite unit-artists (Bakuel and Bernie14), and in one case was civ in a previous Civilization title (CivIII). While the Polynesian civ is a little generic, I also think it is cool and covers an area of the world that is otherwise uncovered by CivIV.

Why don't you allow for more than 18 civs?
  • This is a simple one. This mod has a good deal of python and art added. Because of this it is a large mod. You will find it a bit laggy on large maps, let alone huge maps. If you only like to play mods with a huge amount of civs in a game this may not be the mod for you. I am not allowing for more than 18 civs simply because the mod is too big for that.

WHAT DIPLOMACY II OFFERS

While this can change, and already has many times, here is a short list of some of the features and additions my mod brings to the table:
  • Fully flavored civs! this includes ethnic units for each civilization as well as ethnic city-styles!
  • Improved Graphics! This includes new flags for many civs and improved terrain and vanilla-LHs.
  • Over 50 new leaders, each with their own customized AI Personality, which should increase the replay value of my mod. That is over fifty new leaders you will have to get used to playing against!
  • Four new civilizations: Israel, Iroquois, Vietnam, and Polynesia. Also the HRE has been removed and replaced with the Franks, the Native Americans have been removed and replaced with the Sioux, and the Ottomans have been changed to Turkey.
  • Eleven new religions, for a total of 18 religions!
  • New victory types!
  • Inquisitors to purge pesky heathens from your realms!
  • New animals to add to flavor!
  • Animals can be "hunted" to create resources. For instance, if you kill a deer you will have a deer resource on that tile.
  • After adopting the slavery civic, you can capture slaves units from combat that can either be used to rush production, build tile improvements, or impress into military service.
  • Police States suffer no unhappiness from defying UN resolutions!
  • New wonders, such as Machu Picchu and the CERN Large Hadron Collider.
  • An expanded future era.
  • Regularly updated module packs, featuring civs like the Apache, Berbers, Assyrians, and Italy to name a short few.
  • Spy and Air unit promotions!
  • Barbarian civs can spawn into new Empires.
  • "Super Barbarian" civs will arise from time to time, to wreak havoc on your friends and foes alike... they'll be gunning for you too.
  • New UUs and UBs; Roman Legions throw pilums and build roads, Persian Immortals no longer ride around on horses.
  • Much much more!!!

Congratulaions on getting a sub-forum! I have yet to wait for the day when WoL will garner enough interest for its own sub-forum.

Good to see some progress for you. :goodjob:

Thanks, I thought I'd have time to do some more modding today. But a lot of my free time has to go towards setting up this damn sub-forum. :p

:w00t: DipII sub-forum!

Awesome!
Glad you found some time (and permission :)) to finally make this!! :D

Yay subforum!

Good to see the level of involvement now that we have a subforum, hopefully this will be better to organize our thought-process. There are already 100 posts in the various threads, and that is excluding my reserve posts! :eek:

The posting has been so quick it feels more like a chatroom in here than a forum.

This is the first day of the sub-forum.

I got some crap I gotta do, so I'm out right now, but I'll check in before I go to bed. Good stuff guys, keep it up. :goodjob:

Ehh, don't even say, Diplomacy is addicting even before you release it :p
I already have almost 30 post here of the total 120, but it's 3:40 in the morning here in Hungary :/
I need to get some sleep :)

R.I.P. Kathleen O'Shaughnessey
Wish you were around for one more...

EDIT: Only four more minutes.... YAY!!! March is my favorite month ever! (birthday, St. Paddy's and NCAA basketball, sometimes Mardi Gras too, doesn't get much better than this)

Hmmmmmmmm!! Good pic ;)
Maybe I should also start to celebrate St Patrick's Day, sounds fun :D:D

EDIT: lol, I read after this a little, and it really sounds awesome!!
Next year I will definitely convince my friends, we will celebrate it in Hungary too :goodjob:
Maybe we can also organize some kind of university party for that :D

That would be hilarious if I was somehow responsible for getting St. Patrick's day going in Hungary. :lol:

It's basically an excuse to get drunk, and I like it because a lot of girls will dress slutty and I look a little less obnoxious in comparison to everyone else. :goodjob:

Not to mention drunk girls are my favorite type of girls.

I used to go to Boston every year with my friend James to see the Dropkick Murphys on St. Patrick's day, it is certainly an awesome town to celebrate in.

I've heard that in Ireland they actually don't do too much celebrating as it falls in the middle of Lent, which to Catholics is a pretty big deal (one has to cleanse oneself before Easter). I've never been to Ireland, though, so I don't know if that's actually true anymore. In Peru, people pretty much just go around pinching each other.

I like how now there is a place for inane banter. :goodjob:

Anyway, I have been to Ireland several times (in fact I have family there) and can basically explain it thusly: While the Irish do drink a fair share, and when they do they do it for hours, unlike Americans they don't try to get completely :):):):)ed up while doing so. So an Irish guy (i.e. from Ireland, not just a guy who has Irish ancestry) may stay in a put for around five to six hours having some beers and an occasional whiskey, while an American will get destroyed and drink a bunch of shots and mixed drinks and generally get out of control (well, at least the ones I hang out with). That's the difference.

Top Bottom