Actual Quotes for all Civilizations - Help us improve even more!

Cruel

King
Today, we have in Realism Invictus more than 183 leaders. Some are playable, some not, and some are unique in the scenarios. In order to further the realism and flavor we decided to add at least a first contact for all leaders. For this we started merge with Actual Quotes but this component covers only the leaders until the BTS.

This mod replaces the original leader-specific diplomacy text with text based on attributed quotes. Some of the quotes are famous, some not so famous, and all have been implemented as seamlessly as possible so as to become a natural part of the text. Many quotes have been paraphrased or tweaked to make this possible.

This space can also be used as source for other mods. In diplomacy.xml you will find links and sources for all the leader's quotes added.

If you have any suggestions, send it to us. All contributions are welcome.

Here is our list of leaders:
Spoiler :

A)
  • ABBAS I THE GREAT - Persia
  • ABRAHAM_LINCOLN - USA
  • ACAMAPICHTLI - Aztec
  • ADOLF_HITLER - Germany
  • AFONSO_HENRIQUES - Portugal
  • AGUEYBANA - Arawak Tribes (Taíno)
  • AKHENATON - Egypt
  • ALEXANDER - Greece
  • ALEXANDERII - Russia
  • ALFONSO_X - Spain/Hispania
  • ANDRONICUS_CONTOSTEPHANUS - Creta
  • ASKIA - Mali
  • ASHOKA - Hindi
  • ATTILA - Hun
  • AUGUSTUS - Rome
    (15-15)
B)
  • BALDWIN_I - Jerusalem
  • BANTU - Bantu kingdons
  • BASIL - Greece
  • BELA_IV - Hungary
  • BENITO_JUAREZ - Aztec
  • BENITO_MUSSOLINI - Rome
  • BIRGER_JARL - Sweden
  • BISMARCK - Germany
  • BOHEMOND_I - Antioch
  • BOLESLAW_III - Poland
  • BONIAK - Cuman Khanate
  • BRENNUS - Celt
  • BRIAN_BORU - Celt
    (13-28)
C)
  • CAO_CAO
  • CARL_MANNERHEIM
  • CARLOS
  • CASIMIR
  • CATHERINE
  • CETSHWAYO
  • CHANDRAGUPTA
  • CHARLES_FLANDERS
  • CHIANG_KAI_SHEK
  • CHINESE_LEADER (MAO)
  • CHURCHILL
  • CUNHAMBEBE
  • CYRUS
    (13-41)
D)
  • DAOZONG/Liao-China
  • DANIEL OF HALYCH/Volhynia
  • DARIUS
  • DAVID
  • DAVID_IV
  • DE_GAULLE
  • DIOCLETIAN
    (7-48)
E)
  • EAMON DE VALERA/Celt
  • EDWARD_LONGSHANKS
  • ELEANOR
  • ELISSA/Carthage
  • ELIZABETH
  • ENRICO DANDOLO/Republic of Venice
  • EUMATHIOS_PHILOKALES
    (7-55)
F)
  • FERDINAND III - Austria
  • FERDINAND MARIA - Bavaria
  • FERRY_III
  • FLORIS
  • FRANCESCO MOLIN
  • FRANCO
  • FRANKLIN_ROOSEVELT
  • FREDERICK III - Denmark
  • FREDERICK WILLIAM - Brandeburg-Prussia
  • FREDERICK
  • FRIEDRICH_HOHENSTAUFEN
    (11-66)
F)
  • GANDHI
  • GENGHIS_KHAN
  • GUIDO DA MONTEFELTRO - Republic of Pisa
  • GUSTAV_VASA
    (4-70)
H)
  • HAILE_SELASSIE
  • HAMMURABI
  • HANNIBAL
  • HANNO
  • HARUN_AL_RASHID
  • HATSHEPSUT
  • HENRI
  • HIAWATHA
  • HIROHITO
  • HUAYNA_CAPAC
    (10-80)
I)
  • IOANNIS METAXAS - Greece
  • ISABELLA
  • ISLAM GIRAY - Khante of Crimea
  • IVAN_III
    (4-84)
J)
  • JAYAVARMAN_VII
  • JOAO
  • JOHN GEORGE II - Saxony
  • JOHN_II_KOMNENOS
  • JOHN_SOBIESKI
  • JOSEPH_PILSUDSKI
  • JULIUS_CAESAR
    (7-91)
K)
  • KARL X GUSTAV - Sweden
  • KILIJ ARSLAN II - Sultanate of Rum
  • KIM_IL_SUNG
  • KONRAD_ADENAUER
  • KRISHNA_RAJA_WADIYAR_IV
  • KRISHNADEVARAYA
  • KUBLAI_KHAN
  • KUCHUM
  • KULOTHUNGA_CHOLA_I
    (9-100)
L)
  • LEOPOLD_VI
  • LLYWELYN_THE_GREAT
  • LOUIS_IX_THE_SAINT
  • LOUIS_XIV
    (4-104)
M)
  • MAHMUD_GHAZNI
  • MALIK_SHAH
  • MANSA_MUSA
  • MARIA THERESA - Austria
  • MASSINISSA
  • MATEI BESARAB
  • MATTHIAS_CORVINUS
  • MEHMED
  • MEHMET_ALIPASHA
  • MENELIK_II
  • MINAMOTO_NO_YORITOMO - Japan
  • MING_YONGLE
  • MITHRIDATES_VI_EUPATOR - Pontus
  • MONTEZUMA
  • MUHAMMAD_OF_GHOR - Ghurid
  • MUSTAFA_KEMAL_ATATURK
  • MUTSUHITO - Japan
    (17-121)
N)
  • NADER
  • NAPOLEON
  • NELSON_MANDELA
  • NORTH_NATIVE
    (4-125)
O)
  • ODA_NOBUNAGA - Japan
  • OCEANIAN - Aborigenes Tribes
  • OLIVER_CROMWELL
    (3-128)
P)
  • PACAL
  • PACHACUTI
  • PATAGONIAN_LONKO
  • PERICLES
  • PETER
  • PHILIP_II_AUGUSTUS
  • POPE_ALEXANDER_BORGIA
  • POPE_URBAN_II
  • PRESTER_JOHN
    (9-137)
Q)
  • QIN_SHI_HUANG
    (1-138)
R)
  • RAGNAR
  • RAMESSES
  • ROBERT_THE_BRUCE
  • ROGER_II
    (4-142)
S)
  • SALADIN
  • SAM HOUSTON - Texas
  • SHAKA
  • SHAMAMUN - Makuria
  • SHARIF
  • SHIVAJI
  • SIGURD_THE_CRUSADER
  • SITTING_BULL
  • SONG_HUIZONG
  • STALIN
  • STEFAN_NEMANJA
  • SULEIMAN
  • SUN_QUAN
  • SUN_YAT_SEN
  • SUNDIATA_KEITA - Mali
  • SURYAVARMAN
    (16-158)
T)
  • TAEJO_WANGKON
  • TAHARQA
  • TAMIM_ZIRID
  • TANG
  • THEMISTOCLES
  • THEODORE_GABRAS
  • THEODORE_ROOSEVELT
  • THOMAS_JEFFERSON
  • THOROS_II
  • TIGRANES
  • TIPU_SULTAN
  • TIRIDATES_I
  • TIRIDATES_III
  • TOGHTEKIN
  • TOKUGAWA
  • TRAJAN
  • TUPACINCA
    (17-175)
U)
  • ULUGHBEG
  • UMAR
    (2-177)
V)
  • VICTORIA
  • VLADIMIR_II_MONOMAKH
    (2-179)
W)
  • WASHINGTON
  • WILLEM_VAN_ORANJE
    (2-181)
Y)
  • YUSUF_IBN_TASHFIN
    (1-182)
Z)
  • ZARA_YAQOB
    (1-183)

In addition to first contact other categories of phrases are possible. The quotes can be fitted in:
  • FIRST_CONTACT
  • REFUSE_TO_TALK
  • NO_PEACE
  • NEW:pEACE
  • NEW: DECLARE WAR
  • GREETINGS_ATT_FR (Fraternal)
  • GREETINGS_ATT_FUR (Fury)
  • DEMAND_TRIBUTE_POWER_WEAKER
  • DEMAND_TRIBUTE_POWER_EQUAL
  • DEMAND_TRIBUTE_POWER_STRONGER

Frederik (of Prussia) in a letter to d'Alembert

"L'insolence révolte, la faiblesse attendrit; il n'y a que les âmes lâches qui se vengent d'ennemis vaincus, et je ne suis pas de ce nombre."

= Insolence angers, weakness moves. Only cowardly souls take revenge on their beaten enemies. I'm not one of those.

Or: "Dieu est pour les gros escadrons." ("God is always on the side of the largest battalions.")

Frederik II. Hohenstaufen:

They call me Astonishment of the World. So approach bewildered by my grandeur!

Frederik (of Prussia) in a letter to d'Alembert

"L'insolence révolte, la faiblesse attendrit; il n'y a que les âmes lâches qui se vengent d'ennemis vaincus, et je ne suis pas de ce nombre."

= Insolence angers, weakness moves. Only cowardly souls take revenge on their beaten enemies. I'm not one of those.

Or: "Dieu est pour les gros escadrons." ("God is always on the side of the largest battalions.")

Frederik II. Hohenstaufen:

They call me Astonishment of the World. So approach bewildered by my grandeur!

Thank you very much, Ambassador. I'm including them immediately in our SVN / next release.

The sentence of FRIEDRICH_HOHENSTAUFEN is now your first contact.
The first sentence of FREDERICK I will try create a no generic "Peace text" to him.
The second sentence of FREDERICK I'm including in a "No Peace text".

What is the source of FRIEDRICH_HOHENSTAUFEN?

In the fictional Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Cao Cao, while staying at an old friend's house, overheard the servants talking about murder and concluded that they were planning to murder him. He therefore slaughtered everyone in the household, but discovered afterwards that it was all just a misunderstanding and the servants were talking about slaughtering a pig.

Later, he ran into his old friend who had been out of the house and asked him "What's that behind you?" His friend turned away and Cao Cao stabbed him, to avoid the problems associated with his friend finding out. When asked why he committed such an act, he famously said:

寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我 (Níng jiào wǒ fù tiānxià rén, xiū jiào tiānxià rén fù wǒ)

Which translates to:

"I'd rather let others down than to allow others to let me down"

or, more literally:

"I'd rather let all under heaven (the whole world) down than to allow all under heaven to let me down"

I think it's a pretty good quote for him, assuming you've coded him as a warmonger :)

Btw, I've just recently found out about this mod, and as a history geek, applaud your efforts! I look forward to playing it.

What is the source of FRIEDRICH_HOHENSTAUFEN?

It's actually made up. Friedrich of Hohenstaufen was called stupor mundi which translates into Astonishment of the World because of his learning and brilliance. You can look it up at Wikipedia. I just incorporated it into a flavour welcome which he might have actually said in that or another form. ;-)

For nice quotes of Emperor Ashoka (Ashoka, not Asoka!) you can look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edicts_of_Ashoka (taken from his famous edicts written on pillars throughout his empire).

What about these?
"Contact is good. One should listen to and respect the doctrines professed by others."
"Now it is conquest by morality that Beloved-of-the-Gods [Ashoka] considers to be the best conquest." (I translated dharma as morality, could also mean religion)

Bismarck:
„Mut auf dem Schlachtfelde ist bei uns Gemeingut, aber Sie werden nicht selten finden, dass es ganz achtbaren Leuten an Zivilcourage fehlt“
"Courage on the battle field is in common use, but you often see that reputable people lack moral courage."

"Wer den Daumen auf dem Beutel hat, der hat die Macht."
"Whose thumb is on the purse: that man is in power."

In the fictional Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Cao Cao, while staying at an old friend's house, overheard the servants talking about murder and concluded that they were planning to murder him. He therefore slaughtered everyone in the household, but discovered afterwards that it was all just a misunderstanding and the servants were talking about slaughtering a pig.

Later, he ran into his old friend who had been out of the house and asked him "What's that behind you?" His friend turned away and Cao Cao stabbed him, to avoid the problems associated with his friend finding out. When asked why he committed such an act, he famously said:

寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我 (Níng jiào wǒ fù tiānxià rén, xiū jiào tiānxià rén fù wǒ)

Which translates to:

"I'd rather let others down than to allow others to let me down"

or, more literally:

"I'd rather let all under heaven (the whole world) down than to allow all under heaven to let me down"

I think it's a pretty good quote for him, assuming you've coded him as a warmonger :)

Btw, I've just recently found out about this mod, and as a history geek, applaud your efforts! I look forward to playing it.

I think it will be perfect for a text of "No peace" added!

It's actually made up. Friedrich of Hohenstaufen was called stupor mundi which translates into Astonishment of the World because of his learning and brilliance. You can look it up at Wikipedia. I just incorporated it into a flavour welcome which he might have actually said in that or another form. ;-)

Ok! If you had more ideas send it to us! :)

I've added some more in my last post (above). Authentic ones. ;-)

For nice quotes of Emperor Ashoka (Ashoka, not Asoka!) you can look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edicts_of_Ashoka (taken from his famous edicts written on pillars throughout his empire).

What about these?
"Contact is good. One should listen to and respect the doctrines professed by others."
Go to first contact.
"Now it is conquest by morality that Beloved-of-the-Gods [Ashoka] considers to be the best conquest." (I translated dharma as morality, could also mean religion)
Go to "Peace text".
Bismarck:
„Mut auf dem Schlachtfelde ist bei uns Gemeingut, aber Sie werden nicht selten finden, dass es ganz achtbaren Leuten an Zivilcourage fehlt“
"Courage on the battle field is in common use, but you often see that reputable people lack moral courage."
Go to "Peace text".
"Wer den Daumen auf dem Beutel hat, der hat die Macht."
"Whose thumb is on the purse: that man is in power."
Go to "Peace text".

Cruel, have you considered browsing Wikiquote for some of the more well known rulers you guys use in your mod? For example, you find worthwhile quotes from Umar and Tipu Sultan ("It is far better to live like a lion for a day than to live like a jackal for a hundred years.").
For Prester John use his letter.

Cruel, have you considered browsing Wikiquote for some of the more well known rulers you guys use in your mod? For example, you find worthwhile quotes from Umar and Tipu Sultan ("It is far better to live like a lion for a day than to live like a jackal for a hundred years.").
For Prester John use his letter.

Yes. I've found quotes for most leaders. My main sources are the BrainyQuotes and Wikiquote.

I'm creating a list of the leaders that I have not found. See "Leaders without a quote" in first post. I'm still updating this list. Find quotes for leaders who are in it would be helpful.

As far as Alexander II of Russia is concerned, most of his quotes I could find are related to his reforms, and I'm not sure we'll find any of those useful. Nevertheless, here are some translations of those that I didn't see in English:

"I hear rumors that you wanted a different kind of freedom. There will be no other freedom but the one I gave you." (to freed serfs 1861).

"Let not mercy and truth forsake our courts" (rephrased Bible verse, concerning legal reform).

"Gentlemen, please abandon your futile dreams" (to Polish delegation seeking autonomy).

"God bless Russian people's unoppressed labor, the guarantee of Russia's domestic well-being and public welfare" (the final words of the manifesto that abolished serfdom in Russia).

"God bless Russian people's unoppressed labor, the guarantee of Russia's domestic well-being and public welfare" (the final words of the manifesto that abolished serfdom in Russia).
Adapted to first contact.

"Gentlemen, please abandon your futile dreams"

"I hear rumors that you wanted a different kind of freedom. There will be no other freedom but the one I gave you."
No peace.

"Let not mercy and truth forsake our courts"
Peace.

For Metaxas we have two sentences. One for the first contact and another for no peace.

FC: I'm Ioannis Metaxas, Arhigos (leader) of Greece. I have decided to hold all the power I need for saving Greece from the catastrophes which threaten her. Join me for values of "Country, Loyalty, Family and Religion"!

NP: Oxi!(No) Alors, c'est la guerre!

Ah ok, i can propably expand on those. Will give you something concrete in the following days. I do remember a "And now to the task" quote of his when briefing the general staff for the war plans after the rejection of the Italian ultimatum.

"Don't be surprised General if our forward battalions hold 15 days, enough for the levy(how do you call it when all males are summoned to war?) to finish and the Germans don't come upon us immedieately to see the Italians driven to the sea. And now to the task."

Or is it translated "And now at work"?

Anyway as said i 'll give you somethng concrete the following days.

Top Bottom