Hitler, Fuhrer of the Third Reich

On the contrary, it´s historically accurate. So how is that in poor taste?

The only difference between Hitler and say, Caesar is that the atrocities he committed were more recent and he lost.

Plus they both died. Yeah, Hitler and Caesar are totally interchangeable. O wait, Caesar didn´t go running round killing people because of race, religion or ideology... But other than that totally interchangeable, yeah. :rolleyes:

I can't agree that the DOM image is in poor taste. It's both historically accurate and lends itself to who you're playing; which is effin' Hitler.

What I find funny is how hard Civilization always ignores Nazi Germany to avoid the politically correct police. How can Bismark have the Panzer as his UU yet BLACK OUT the rest of Nazi Germany? That's ridiculous.

The Civpedia mentions the "Panzer (panther)". Even Google translate couldn´t mess that up: Panzer translates to Armor (literally). But it´s not as ridiculous as you might think. As mentioned the swastika is a forbidden symbol in Germany, and a civilization game that uses Hitler as the German leader would indeed have been in bad taste. He wasn´t a great leader, let alone the greatest German leader; his military capabilities were virtually non-existent (he never rose above the rank of corporal) and in all likelihood he never read (or wrote) a book in his entire life. But the combination Bismarck-Panzer is a bit odd, yes. Hitler was crazy about his little tanks. (Probably the only military machine he could fathom.)

Plus they both died. Yeah, Hitler and Caesar are totally interchangeable. O wait, Caesar didn´t go running round killing people because of race, religion or ideology... But other than that totally interchangeable, yeah. :rolleyes:

Now Augustus Caesar didn't But Gaius Julius Caesar did exterminate tribes .

Hi,

your mod is great but is it possible to replace the "Panzer" with "King Tiger", the most feared tank in WWII?

Infos here:
http://worldwar2aces.com/

Make em stronger then regular tank (maybe +8 or so) with more xp bonus in battle but although much more expensive to build, to keep the balance right. :)

It would be really nice if you do so, if not can you please tell me what to do to get him in your mod by myself?

Thanks in advance
C2k

The Civpedia mentions the "Panzer (panther)". Even Google translate couldn´t mess that up: Panzer translates to Armor (literally). But it´s not as ridiculous as you might think. As mentioned the swastika is a forbidden symbol in Germany, and a civilization game that uses Hitler as the German leader would indeed have been in bad taste. He wasn´t a great leader, let alone the greatest German leader; his military capabilities were virtually non-existent (he never rose above the rank of corporal) and in all likelihood he never read (or wrote) a book in his entire life. But the combination Bismarck-Panzer is a bit odd, yes. Hitler was crazy about his little tanks. (Probably the only military machine he could fathom.)

I'm well aware Germany today is still not as free as the United States, which is why I said I know exactly why Firaxis can't include Nazi Germany. The point is Nazi Germany had a profound effect on the world and it was crappily led by Hitler. Therefore, the easiest way to represent a period like that is WITH HITLER.

Hi,

your mod is great but is it possible to replace the "Panzer" with "King Tiger", the most feared tank in WWII?

Infos here:
http://worldwar2aces.com/

Make em stronger then regular tank (maybe +8 or so) with more xp bonus in battle but although much more expensive to build, to keep the balance right. :)

It would be really nice if you do so, if not can you please tell me what to do to get him in your mod by myself?

Thanks in advance
C2k

sry but u should use a symbolic german tank not the crap ot a king tiger ... Panther or Tiger or better Panzer IV

The tank most commonly encountered by Allied soldiers was neither the Panther or Tiger tank (which were available in limited amounts), but rather the Panzer IV. But all of them are Panzers.

Now Augustus Caesar didn't But Gaius Julius Caesar did exterminate tribes .

And contrary to Mr Hitler he made no mystery about it; on the contrary, he mentions it in his own Gallic Wars, plus the reason for it: rebelling against Roman rule. The Romans were pretty strict about that. Augustus tried his hand at the Germans, but if he´d read his adoptee father´s book, he´d have known they were no pushover: they slaughtered 3 of his precious legions.

I'm well aware Germany today is still not as free as the United States, which is why I said I know exactly why Firaxis can't include Nazi Germany. The point is Nazi Germany had a profound effect on the world and it was crappily led by Hitler. Therefore, the easiest way to represent a period like that is WITH HITLER.

Not sure what you´re ranting about as I agreed with you... (But having people run around with swastikas, Aryan Power or "Thank God for dead soldiers" signs relates less to freedom than it does to crackpots who have no respect for other people´s freedom.)

In general Germany is as "free" as any other western republic, I think everyone should see why the "Hakenkreuz" is not wanted here, the time of the Third Reich was possibly the darkest hour in human history and "we" germans still feel guilty. If you want to add a great german leader, take frederik the great, this dude was a true hero ;)

Then maybe the USA should have a picture of colonists slaughtering and raping native Americans, since it's historically accurate. How is that in poor taste?

Adding Hitler to Germany as a leader seems overall a very immature choice, primarily for the reason that Hitler was Germany's history's most incompetent leader, (after 12 years of rule Germany had lost millions of citizens, a great deal of land, it's economy laid in ruins and it was ripped into two separate states) but he happens to be one of the best known "bad guys" of history. There's a bunch of much more suitable leaders (out of which Bismark is the best IMO) for a civilization game.

Then maybe the USA should have a picture of colonists slaughtering and raping native Americans, since it's historically accurate. How is that in poor taste?

Adding Hitler to Germany as a leader seems overall a very immature choice, primarily for the reason that Hitler was Germany's history's most incompetent leader, (after 12 years of rule Germany had lost millions of citizens, a great deal of land, it's economy laid in ruins and it was ripped into two separate states) but he happens to be one of the best known "bad guys" of history. There's a bunch of much more suitable leaders (out of which Bismark is the best IMO) for a civilization game.

Agreed. And the people who are comparing atrocities are overlooking the simple fact that time does indeed heal all wounds - try to find someone alive today who has been directly affected by Caesar or Genghis... On the other hand, many people still remember Hitler.

Look what they did with Stalin, he's in the games, but tastefully.

That said, I'm not saying he should be removed, I would like to play as or against Hitler, but those photographs are truly in poor taste to anyone who knows what they really are. I wonder what the reaction would be to an Arabia Mod with Bin Laden and some airplane pics. Hey, why not make the UU a suicide bomber and the UB could be a Mosque with +100 military unit production. Just my 2 cents.

Have fun, whatever you decide.

Look what they did with Stalin, he's in the games, but tastefully.

How can Stalin be tasteful? He was just as much of a monster as Hitler was. Really the only difference is that while Hitler targeted Jews and gypsies, Stalin targeted kulaks, political opponents, and perceived political opponents. But the man killed 20 million people and enslaved Eastern Europe.

Neither Stalin nor Hitler should be portrayed as lightly as Civ portrays its leaders.

I think one could actually give some merit to Stalin for doing at least some things right during his period of power. After all, he started with a backwards agricultural state and ended up with a nuclear superpower. But again, there are many better choices from Russia's history, Catherine being a good example.

I know I don't have to use this garbage, but I expect a little quality control from Firaxis about mods on the ingame browser. I don't even want to see this on my browser, and it will only lead to other fruitcakes putting similar material on there. How long before we have Klu Klux Klan mods and the like...?

I can assure you no modder would put out a KKK mod. (Not to mention that organization never lead any nation or civilization or did anything worth representing in a game.)

I´m not sure how you would play a WW II scenario without representing Hitler as leader of Nazi Germany. (And I can assure you, there will be WW II mods.)

How can Stalin be tasteful? He was just as much of a monster as Hitler was. Really the only difference is that while Hitler targeted Jews and gypsies, Stalin targeted kulaks, political opponents, and perceived political opponents. But the man killed 20 million people and enslaved Eastern Europe.

Neither Stalin nor Hitler should be portrayed as lightly as Civ portrays its leaders.

I think one could actually give some merit to Stalin for doing at least some things right during his period of power. After all, he started with a backwards agricultural state and ended up with a nuclear superpower. But again, there are many better choices from Russia's history, Catherine being a good example.

There´s actually thread on ´Stalin´s contributions to history´, so I won´t get into that here again.

As for both these gentlemen, there have been WW II mods even since Civ 2 (Civ 1 was highly ´unmoddable´), and these would obviously include the likes of Hitler, Stalin, Hirohito and other political leaders who were around during the 1930s and 40s. Having these historical figure - whatever one may think of them - in a game (scenario, mod) isn´t immature, in bad taste or whatever, it´s simply historically accurate. (And that goes for the decimation of the indigenous population by Western colonists in general too, though I reckon it wouldn´t make good game material. But, FYI, there have been mods/scenarios - even official ones - that deal with American native civilizations - since Civ 2 in fact.)

If you can count on one thing, it's that Hitler will continue to rile people up long after his death. Describing his mod as trash and calling everyone who would use this immature for being about Nazi Germany is flaming and should have been dealt with. It happened, we're playing a game called "Civilization", now please move on.

sry but u should use a symbolic german tank not the crap ot a king tiger ... Panther or Tiger or better Panzer IV
Crap of a King Tiger?....lol, man that was a beast of a tank in WWII! Any enemny feared it. If have Germany this little Baby at beginning of WWII and in larger quantity you maybe life today in "German Reich" and not in the country with the current name ;)

But whatever, main thing is that he change it and build in. To edit the xml and change the name then is no problem for me, but i cannot build a completly new unit in by myself :)

Hi cabal2k, n0rdi is right about the Panzer; but hey, I got a King Tiger addon for ya too on Modbrowser =P I added more strength, made it cost more, and based on something I read in your link, I added an open terrain bonus too.

No doubt, Hitler is a controversial addition, as he was when he was modded into Civ 4. As for the Pictures of Dachau and Auschwitz, in addition to what Soduka and Jeelen has already said; I think it is something never to be forgotten about when dealing with Hitler and the Third Reich. It is a monument to a shameful period of history that will always haunt humanity.

Bin Laden never led a great country like Germany, so there's no comparison there. But if you wanna include a pic of Monica in a mod about Billy Clinton, go right ahead =)

Personally I think the pictures of Auschwitz are outof place. They play no role in your mod (unless you want to add them as a UB). I'd put a picture of France just before the invasion with the typical ''Blitzkrieg'' attack plan outlined. Much more accurate, sensefull and less likely to offend people.

As for all the people easily offended. Get over it, it happened, went into the history books and that's where it will stay.

The only issue I have with this is in the Hall of Fame, when I won with Hitler and the Swastika mod, it showed up as Bismark and the Iron Cross. No biggie to me. I just wanted to voice it and figured Bismark/Iron Cross was hardcoded in. But seeing Hitler and Stalin on the same map is definitely something I am going to be doing next. Even though I'm Russian, the Hitler mod so far is definitely something to be happy about, to me anyway. I know everything there is about Nazi Germany and have many books about it, and own videos on Hitler as well.

I'm intrigued and rather obsessed with it as I am with Stalin. It's just one of those things I got hooked onto when I was about 9 or 10 and it hasn't left me since.

Top Bottom