a suggestion for those looking for Pitboss

deleatur

Warlord
Hear now the tale of a frustrated Civ player who found contentment over time.

The mighty deleatur had been a Civ players since the heady days of Civ II. Even though he was not very good he still was putoff by the inadequecies of the AI but since he was juggling a smokin hot girlfriend (hey its my story and if my golden memories are correct she was hot enough) and several jobs while pretending to be a grad student it was no big deal. So he gave up on Civ for awhile.

Recently deleatur saved up enough money to purchase a new computer. Deleatur had infected a friend with deadly civ virus and that friend gave it back. And low and behold Civ 4 had made multiplayer easier but now the mighty deleatur faced new challenges. He had a real job, a wife (smokin hot) and two children (a toddler and new baby no less). His skills at Civ had not increased but getting drubbed by the still inadequate AI was not good fro his massive ego. Cursing his fate deleatur almost gave up but then he stumbled on civfanatics and the multiplayer lobby. He had discovered Pitboss. It turns out that posted Pitboss games are rare but luck was with him as the Great Prophet GFletch had begun his second Pitboss game. Salvation was at hand five minutes a day for years (or at least until deleatur is slaughtered by one of his evil opponents.)

It turns out that while deleatur did not have much time he had more than five minutes a day. So he began lurking on the forum searching for a new game. After two weeks only two games had generated and both required more than deleatur could give (a team game, and an acclerated start.) Despondant the mighty deleatur raged at the Civ gods but then he realized the gods only help those who help themselves. He could be a Pitboss. Deleatur sought the advise of the wisest man he knew and the sageious GFletch led the near luddite to Civ Valhalla his own Pitboss.

This is all my long winded way of saying if you are looking for Pitboss the best advise I can give is to start your own. The Pitboss community as a whole seems rather small because of the length of commitment. I am sure that anybody currently running a PB would glady advise a would be Pitboss. If I can set one up with my limited tech ways anybody could. So think it over because we could all benefit.

I run my game using a system on a cable modem and I have not had a problem. What took more work was getting my ports open. It took GFletch an hour to walk me through it. On the upside once it is done you don't have to fool with it again.

So anyway I don't believe a cable modem presents a problem.

Problem is that u need a PC running all the time. thats not possible for everyone, well not for me it is. I need for rendering and gaming too.

Problem is that u need a PC running all the time. thats not possible for everyone, well not for me it is.
That's not a problem for me, I leave my pc running all the time; don't like to wait for it to boot up when I come home.

I need for rendering and gaming too.
What do you mean by this? I'm thinking you mean you need all your resources to make other games as smooth as possible.

Does anyone know of any good "how to" threads on this topic?

Maybe if a couple people will volunteer to be guinea pigs, I will start playing around with it. I would rather have a "warm fuzzy" before starting a keeper game.

Memory and speed of connection are key ... RAM and Video are key ... 1GB for RAM and 512 MB for Video. Hi Speed internet is a must and of course your pc can never be off ;)

I've been running a pitboss game for several weeks now over on CIV4 Players and have participated in 3 others ... I wish I could host more than one, but when I attempted it pretty well foobars your machine if you want to do anything else. I'm thinking of getting another hi end machine just to host games.

What I am looking for here though from this thread was like there is for CIV3 games ... a thread for starting new pitboss games ... I want to join another.

Any starting ?

I am one of those who cannot start a PB game since I need to sleep and having it on 24 hours would limit my sleep, so unfortunately it is not possible for me to host, but I would like to.

Top Bottom