CitiNES: How to Run A Nation!

You are an eternal campaigner, you really don't get stats until you start fundraising, you can run for office or perhaps try to lead by 'less legimate' means. Its your money so you can do whatever you want with it.

I don't really support people playing as characters essentially to be "sugar daddies" for other candidates, like civver is doing for silver. This essentially breaks the game because serious players can recruit a bunch of other players with 10 wealth and ask them to just hand it over each turn (without them actually actively playing). Players characters should be running for office.

Yeah and if you play a conservative you get 10x as much money from corporate interests. Seems fair enough to me.

Welcome to politics. And in exchange for his support, if I win I will appoint him to a position or get him a job or some other favor.

Welcome to politics. And in exchange for his support, if I win I will appoint him to a position or get him a job or some other favor.

Exactly, there is not even a government yet, so we will need a load of officals, I will let him do this for now, but yes, you do need to hold an office eventually. That's not to say the voter's won't notice who your "friends" are.

THE INDEPENDENCE CHRONICLE
~ page 1 ~

DEBT - THE GOVERNMENT’S FOCUS, NOT THE PEOPLE’S BURDEN
An editorial concerning the national debt crisis.
BY EMMANUEL VALENTINE

My fellow citizens, my neighbors, my friends---

We indeed face a crisis in the financial sector since our great struggle for independence only a few years ago. Debt incurred during the war has reached close to 75% of our GDP. That monumental cost threatens to throw our economic system into a total collapse, forcing each and every one of us into grotesque poverty. This financial crisis should be the top priority for all government officials, myself included, but it seems that other individuals seek to enact the “morally superior” legislation for programs such as Social Security, human rights, and --- dare I say? --- a secular government. No one seems to accept this financial crisis as it is, for I am the only individual who seeks to right our woeful economy; perhaps because, as both a citizen and a native of Southerland, I understand the implications of an economic collapse -- for me, for Southerland, for the nation, but most importantly for the hard-working and God-gifted citizens of Southerland, each and every reader of this very newspaper.

Therefore, with all due speed, I suggest the following to save our economic system, and to restore prosperity to the people of Southerland and to the nation:

Firstly, we must realize that even these difficult times do not allow the government to bleed its citizens dry through taxation -- for we cannot, in good conscience, put faith into a government that will forsake the economic freedom of our families only to raise money through rigorous taxation.

Secondly, we must realize that we cannot afford to pay millions upon millions of dollars into a fund for Social Security when more pressing economic issues exist. I cannot allow the government to neglect the good, hard-working people of Southerland in place of a Social Security fund that, until the present time, has been seen as unnecessary. Do not misunderstand me --- I firmly believe in charity from the community through our local churches and town councils to aide in the support of an unemployed member of our society --- but the government cannot take our hard, honestly earned money and gift it to an unknown citizen from across the nation. Charity starts at home, and it should remain that way, especially in these times of economic duress.

Thirdly, we must realize that the best economy is an unregulated economy. As honest businessmen and workers of Southerland, I know you can understand me when I claim that our businesses are best run by the owners -- not by a government official hundreds of miles away. Profits will follow reduced regulation, for we all agree that we, the people of Southerland, work for the securing of a full, happy life for us and our posterity.

Finally, we must realize that printing money is not the answer to our problems. Inflation cannot and will not end our financial crisis -- only deepen it, and I will not stand to allow the government to erase the earnings of the people of Southerland.

We must stand together in these troubling times. As a member of the community, as a citizen of Southerland, and as a friend to all of you, I firmly believe in the freedom and happiness of all citizens of our fair republic.

God bless us all.​

(Note: Mr. Valentine will be present at Independence Plaza, outside the Cathedral of St. Jerome and the Capitol Building, at 3 o’clock in the afternoon, to hear from any and all citizens of Southerland who wish to have their sentiments heard).

Then I suppose I will run for Congress.

Could I still have an idea of the Military status of our state?

Sorry, It took me so long to respond, I was formating...

The Revolutionary Army- 1,1750,00 Regulars, 1,000 Tanks, APC's, etc. $350 Billion
The Revolutionary Navy- 320,000 Sailors, 1251 Vessels $325 Billion
The Revolutionary Air Corps- 150,000 Airmen, 500 Aircraft $275 Billion

Emeregency Wartime funding $215 Billion (the flow of cash has yet to stop as loyalist uprisings still flame up throughout the countryside).

It may seem large and impressive, but it didn't come cheap, and they have yet to recieve proper training. They are quite far from the training of the Great Powers.

*Total military Expediture: $1,165 Billion
+Other Government Services: 435 Billion
-Total Government Revenues: $1,500 Billion
= Total Deficit $100 Billion

OOC: To Promote Awareness of the Debt, we have made an educational video for the
kids!

Link to video.
THANKS TO SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK!
@Dreadnought, the incumbent, Gov. Howard Walker (I), is trembling with fear. Good job.

Local Hero runs for Senate​

John Grissom: The Hero of the revolutionary war, and a retired general of the Republican Army, has provided plans to run for Senate. He has created the Military Party and promises to maintain the army and provide training, it is his hope that the Republican military becomes a stable and established force that can take care of any aggressor and defend our liberties and freedom from our enemies.

A native of Eagle, Southerland, Conrad Olsen was born and grew up on a farm near here, which you probably now know as the Olsen Farms and Ranches, at a young age he joined the Empire's armies and fought for the Empire without regret, and when the revolution erupted and Southerland joined her fellow sister colonies, Colonel Olsen was offered command of the Empire's forces in Unitaria, but Olsen declined and left the army, upon arriving home at Southerland, he was offered the position of General of the Southerland army. He accepted and led our army to several victories and saved a fellow army besieged by Anglian forces. It is unfortunate that his deeds went unnoticed on a wider scale as he was overshadowed by General James Mason and current President General Jonathon Wilson Brown.

In Senate, General Olsen hopes to increase the military funding and provide training regimens and establish a national drill academy for all branches, as well as supporting the right for ordinary citizens such as those from Southerland to bear arms. General Olsen will be available in the following cities on the following dates to answer your questions and concerns;

January 10th, Eagle
January 12th-15th, Independence
February 11th-14th, Johnstown
February 20th-22nd, Hamilton
March 15th-20th, Eagle
March 21st-30th, Independence
April
May 1st-10th, Youngstown
May 15th, Bilton
June 10th, Tomora
July 1st-3rd, Independence
July 4th, Eagle

To Russell Zhang
From Philip Redthwaite

We can agree to all of that, if we can add

Universal education
Secular government
Social security (i.e. state pension and unemployment benefit)
Improved working conditions
Universal adult suffrage

We can agree to this, with the exception of social security. We believe it is up to individual candidates of the party to decide whether they wish for such a government institution which may encroach on economic freedom.

To:Emmanuel Valentine

The people have fallen in love with you, and they wish to know more, would you like to write an op-ed (opinion editorial) for this sunday on what you will do to restart the economy, and will you take orders from the new federal government?

(Writing an op-ed can get you ahead, but if you make an unpopular or unfounded statement, you will see a drop in your numbers)

To:James Callahan

Now that you have declared your candidacy, would you like to write an op-ed on what we should do to restart our industry?

To: Russell Zhang

The Governor has refused us an op-ed, we would like to offer it to you, who knows? You might even get yourself an endorsement.

We will gladly provide a clear delineation of our campaign manifesto.

OOC:
Some questions:
What's the party and political alignment of the governor of Orderton, what's his personal background, and how long has he served?
How many representatives are there in each province?
Are all senators being elected now?

We can agree to this, with the exception of social security. We believe it is up to individual candidates of the party to decide whether they wish for such a government institution which may encroach on economic freedom.

Fine. We are pleased at the successful founding of our Party.

Could we make a habit of showing each other each other's manifestos and policies by PM before showing them on the thread, for the sake of party consistency etc. ?

Local Hero runs for Senate​

John Grissom: The Hero of the revolutionary war, and a retired general of the Republican Army, has provided plans to run for Senate. He has created the Military Party and promises to maintain the army and provide training, it is his hope that the Republican military becomes a stable and established force that can take care of any aggressor and defend our liberties and freedom from our enemies.

A native of Eagle, Southerland, Conrad Olsen was born and grew up on a farm near here, which you probably now know as the Olsen Farms and Ranches, at a young age he joined the Empire's armies and fought for the Empire without regret, and when the revolution erupted and Southerland joined her fellow sister colonies, Colonel Olsen was offered command of the Empire's forces in Unitaria, but Olsen declined and left the army, upon arriving home at Southerland, he was offered the position of General of the Southerland army. He accepted and led our army to several victories and saved a fellow army besieged by Anglian forces. It is unfortunate that his deeds went unnoticed on a wider scale as he was overshadowed by General James Mason and current President General Jonathon Wilson Brown.

In Senate, General Olsen hopes to increase the military funding and provide training regimens and establish a national drill academy for all branches, as well as supporting the right for ordinary citizens such as those from Southerland to bear arms. General Olsen will be available in the following cities on the following dates to answer your questions and concerns;

January 10th, Eagle
January 12th-15th, Independence
February 11th-14th, Johnstown
February 20th-22nd, Hamilton
March 15th-20th, Eagle
March 21st-30th, Independence
April
May 1st-10th, Youngstown
May 15th, Bilton
June 10th, Tomora
July 1st-3rd, Independence
July 4th, Eagle

While Mr. Grissom is in Independence, Mr. Valentine will be most interested in meeting with such a well-respected and honorable individual as he is. Is this acceptable?

We will gladly provide a clear delineation of our campaign manifesto.

OOC:
Some questions:
What's the party and political alignment of the governor of Orderton, what's his personal background, and how long has he served?
How many representatives are there in each province?
Are all senators being elected now?

Well, Orderton is the capitial of Westernia, but The current governor has served for 4 years, he is a libertarian from the countryside, his approval and disapproval fall along party lines, (the Labor party hates him, the conservative party loves him) so his approval/disapproval is about 50-50.
Representatives can be found on the stat page, look at the regions, inside there is a stat for reps.
Senators will be elected this year, then given classes,
A-B-C,then they shall serve there normal 6 year terms.
A will be re-elected 2 years from now, (Next 5 elections: 1952,1958,1964,1970,1976)
B in 4, (Next 5 Elections: 1954,1960,1966,1972,1978)
C in 6, (Next 5 Elections: 1956,1962,1968,1974,1980)

The Gubnatorial Elections will work like this
Corilind,Southernland,Westernia-1950,1954,1958,1962,1966 (Same as Presidental Election)
Northwestern Province-1951,1955,1959,1963,1967 (Off-year election, recieves special attention)
Brown Province-1952,1956,1960,1964,1968 (Same as the Midterm Election)

Now, a question for y'all, how do we want to format debates? Should I just select a winner based upon talking points sent to me via PM (yuck!) or would you be willing to have an active debate on the thread? This may seem like an easy question, but I want to make sure everybody is willing to hold an active debate and that they can set a reasonable time to debate with others in an organized fashion.

Edit: I added a list of Political Parties to the front page,
If you want your party added, send a PM in this form.

Political Party: The Democratic Party
Area: National (Regional or National, if regional list which province/s)
Social Policy: Liberal (Liberal,Centet-Left,Moderate,Center-Right,Conservative)
Economic Policy:progressive (Progressive,Leans Progressive,Moderate,Leans Liberal,Liberal)
Foreign Policy: Globalist ([Only if on the National level] Globalist, Center-Left, Isolantionist, Center-Right, Neo-Conservative)

Active debates, especially if you're happy to write speeches for all the NPC politicians!

While Mr. Grissom is in Independence, Mr. Valentine will be most interested in meeting with such a well-respected and honorable individual as he is. Is this acceptable?

To Mr. Valentine
From Mr. Grissom, General Olsen's Campaign Manager

General Olsen would be happy to meet with you when we are in Independence. He feels that in meeting you he would gain a friend and also gain the ability to work with the people of Southerland on a regional and national stage by helping each other.

To Mr. Valentine
From Mr. Grissom, General Olsen's Campaign Manager

General Olsen would be happy to meet with you when we are in Independence. He feels that in meeting you he would gain a friend and also gain the ability to work with the people of Southerland on a regional and national stage by helping each other.

Ooh, the General himself will be present in Independence? That is excellent!

Name: Matthew Marcus
Home Region: Northwestern Provinces
Description and History: Born September 12th, 1923. He has constantly been on the move since he left the orphanage he grew up in for the first 8 years of his life. He survived on begging and later manipulating people to help him. Through these not so honorable skills he managed to get into a school again by the age of ten and was adopted by a young author. He came to love writing but never gave up manipulating others to agree with him on troubles he faced. As he has grown up he has become a not so famous author but is known for his writings on the use of manipulation in society and his political ideals in a book he has named The Ideals of a Man.
Ideology: Liberal Marxism is the best description of his ideals he believes in the freedoms and rights of every man and woman while also believing every man and woman should all work as equals to better society to put it bluntly he is a dreamer and idealist.
Charisma (Personal): 8
Charisma (Popular): 7
Political Influence: 5
Regional Establishment: 6
Experience: 5
Personal Wealth: 3
Trust: 6
Current Situation: Just released his book The Ideals of a Man to the public also has several times announced his interest in politics and is attempting to gain support for him in getting a job in the government. Basics: looking for a job as an official particularly something close to the President.

OOC:If it is too late to join let me now but if not here it is.

Name: Matthew Marcus
Home Region: Northwestern Provinces
Description and History: He has constantly been on the move since he left the orphanage he grew up in for the first 8 years of his life. He survived on begging and later manipulating people to help him. Through these not so honorable skills he managed to get into a school again by the age of ten and was adopted by a young author. He came to love writing but never gave up manipulating others to agree with him on troubles he faced. As he has grown up he has become a not so famous author but is known for his writings on the use of manipulation in society and his political ideals in a book he has named The Ideals of a Man.
Ideology: Liberal Marxism is the best description of his ideals he believes in the freedoms and rights of every man and woman while also believing every man and woman should all work as equals to better society to put it bluntly he is a dreamer and idealist.
Charisma (Personal): 8
Charisma (Popular): 4
Political Influence: 4
Regional Establishment: 4
Experience: 5
Personal Wealth: 3
Trust: 5
Current Situation: Just released his book The Ideals of a Man to the public also has several times announced his interest in politics and is attempting to gain support for him in getting a job in the government. Basics: looking for a job as an official particularly something close to the President.

OOC:If it is too late to join let me now but if not here it is.

It's never too late to join. If fact new players are what keep this game interesting. But your stats might not be up till late tomorrow, Sorry...
PS you have 7 extra points (why don't you use them before your stats go on the board).

Top Bottom