Installing Civ 4 on Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 / 11 (32-/64-bit)

I followed the directions as listed, I have Civ IV complete so it is a little different, I do not need the patches. However, Colonization does not run at all and Civ IV does not find the xml files. The games were installed in a separate 'games' folder as recommended. This is Win 7 SP1. any suggestions?:confused:

Not sure about Complete as I do not have it.

OK, I tried before even finding this and it says it has a 'catastrophic failure' when I put the second disc in.... I tried your method and nothing changed.. it's probably not the disc because we've tried it with multiple discs, and it's not the specific computer because we've tried it on two Win7 computers, including the one I'm using right now.

I don't know if you can read that... I'll replace it with a cropped if you can't

Have you done the pre-work like DX9 etc,

DX11 on it.. but I got it to work with another suggestion, thanks!

I just got myself a new laptop with Windows 7 64 bit and installed CIV on it. I didn't know about these problems listed in this thread and I've had no catastrophic messages and CIV appears to work just fine. The problem I have thoguh is with BUFFY complaining that I don't have administrator privileges and it can't save data and so any game is not submittable. The puzzling thing is that my account does have administrator privileges... I'm certain someone must have come across this before...? :)

Is my only solution to uninstall and re-install according to the very helpful method in the first post of this thread, :( or is there another quick fix I can do? I can't find one by searching for BUFFY/HOF fixes, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

If someone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Buffy is a non-standard mod hence why you need to follow the instructions in this thread

I uninstalled everything and then re-installed meticulously according the helpful instructions in the first post of this thread.

At first I noticed no change, getting the same message from BUFFY as I got before. However when I tried right-clicking on the shortcut to BTS and selecting “Run as administrator” instead of just double clicking on the shortcut, the BUFFY complaint did not surface, and as far as I can tell it’s running acceptably.

I only tried that because this right click “run as administrator” had been suggested all through the installation process outlined in the first post of this thread as well. It’s a bit annoying, however I only need to do it for games which I want to submit. Since I really don’t have time for many HOF or GOTM games at the moment, the only thing it affects at the moment is a SGOTM I’m in. Hopefully in the future I’ll get back to more GOTM and HOF games… (Wishful thinking…)

Yeah I noticed that with buffy ... it likes admin access for some reason.

DX11 on it.. but I got it to work with another suggestion, thanks!

If you don't mind, what suggestion worked for you? I'm getting the same message, and nothing I've tried seems to work for me.

If you have another computer with Civ on it then copy the Firaxsis folder onto a USB drive and paste it into either A)the program files folder on C/ or B)a new folder (name it Games or something) in C/

It worked for me, I'm now dealing with CTD problems with C2C that probably have to do with memory.. :rolleyes:

I'm following your instructions but getting an error halfway through the installation process. It reads:

Feature Transfer Error
Feature: Default Feature
Component: Civ4 Component
File: D:\data.cab
Error: Data Error

Ugh, I am getting exactly the same error message. How were you able to overcome this problem?

I recently installed BTS + BUG4.4 under Vista (had a working install in XP previously) and now all leader dialog is blank (e.g. Vicky pops up to propose a tech trade, but there's no information there except for her ugly face, I can't even tell what she wants). Any help would be appreciated.:)

Have you installed as per my instructions ? Alternatively you may have to re-install.

I've just upgraded my machine, and I also experienced problems installing. Since there doesn't appear to be much info here specific to Civilization IV : Complete I thought I'd share how I got it working.

The Problems: I followed kiwitt's guide as much as I could, ie, changed install folder ("D:\Programs\CivilizationIV"), ran setup as administrator (only one "setup.exe" on DVD), etc.
I then found that I couldn't apply the patches properly. The Vanilla and Warlords patches complained that I didn't even have those games installed, and the BtS 3.17 patch worked but the 3.19 patch failed to run at all.

My Solution: I believe the Vanilla and Warlords problem was solved by the fact that the BtS 3.17 patch already included Vanilla 1.74 and Warlords 2.13. So it seems I downloaded those patches for nothing.
The BtS problem was surprisingly solved by using the in-game updater of all things. After manually applying the 3.17 patch I had downloaded, I made sure I ran BtS as Administrator (through right clicking .exe->Properties). The in-game updater worked for me without a hitch. I guess miracles do happen!

Have since installed the two HOF mods + BUFFY, and since the HOF AssetsChecker is happy, I'm happy :D

Regarding Colonization, I'm sorry I can't say anything about this as I don't have it. My "Complete" was Vanilla+Warlords+BtS.

Followed the guide, but could not get Civ IV BtS to install on Windows 7. Basically, I get about 90% through the installshield, and it just stops and say "Sid Meier's Civilization IV did not install properly."

I ran as administrator. I changed compatibility mode to Windows XP. I deleted the installshield file.

I will add, I was able to copy all the files on the disk onto my hard drive, so it's not a dirty/scratched disk problem.

This really seems like a problem with installshield. I'm totally stumped. Hurts to, because my daughter loves playing this game with me and she's pretty sad we can't install it. There has to be a way; I know other Windows 7 users must have had this problem and figured out how to deal with it.

did you try the alternate location method? or was that a different tutorial? Anyway, instead of installing it in Program Files, make a new folder called games or something in C:/ and put it there instead

Top Bottom