Attention! Steam supports paid mods now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, wait... are people now angry at Steam for forcing modders to charge money for mods they would have otherwise been able to give away for free? As opposed to being angry at modders for daring to actually charge money for their time and effort, instead of being forced to give away their creations for free

People are angry at the prospect of having to pay for mods they currently enjoy for free. There is massive cognitive dissonance going on - how could a benevolent, selfless modder suddenly hide behind a paywall?

If modders could be legally and fairly regularly paid for their work - and it's undoubtedly a lot of work as I can tell even from my limited experience - it wouldn't be bad. In fact, it could be beneficial to both the modder (who could earn a living), and the player (who could enjoy guaranteed good quality mods from a person working full-time on them). Provided, of course, there was any way to ensure that there will be customers. With the ongoing consumer backlash, I find it highly unlikely.

What is worse is that Steam is taking 75% of the modder's profit, and undoubtedly Bethesda gets its cut.

Question is: are Civ V mods comparable to mods for Skyrim, in terms of production and content?

If we're talking Falskaar or Interesting NPCs then I think hardly any Civ V mod can compare, save for the massive WW2 mod. Civ IV mods could compare though (RFC, FFH, C2C etc.)

I don't think Steam is forcing them; just giving the option. Anyway, give Chesko all the monies.

Which is why I find it bizarre that people are angry at Steam for simply giving people more freedom, as opposed to being angry at the people who supposedly misuse or abuse that freedom. It's a viewpoint that I can't actually see any logic behind.

It does reaffirm my belief that people don't actually like freedom. XD

some guy on nexus posted this (his SMIM mod is one of the "core mods" for skyrim, 4 million downloads)

Announcement: SMIM will always, ALWAYS, remain totally free to download on Skyrim Nexus. Steam Workshop now allows charging real money for mods. I am still debating if I should allow users to pay $0.25 to $2.00 on Steam Workshop for SMIM. But remember, SMIM will always be free on this webpage!

And...you can donate to me if you so desire by using the green Donate button on the top right of the page. No pressure, friends!

this is great. this is how other modders should handle it too...

Yeah, that sounds great. Like the "donate" button it should've been in the first place.

theres currently a HUGE rage storm against Isoku, a big skyrim modder who did one of the best immersion mods out there for skyrim, because he made his mod paid.

i am also very angry, but the people literally SHRED him in the comments on nexus. being angry is okay, but whats currently going on is more like war....

btw, if you guys are interested in this topic, heres the link to a HUGE discussion on nexus about this. http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.p...odding-for-skyrim-more-games-to-follow/page-1

theres currently a HUGE rage storm against Isoku, a big skyrim modder who did one of the best immersion mods out there for skyrim, because he made his mod paid.

i am also very angry, but the people literally SHRED him in the comments on nexus. being angry is okay, but whats currently going on is more like war....

btw, if you guys are interested in this topic, heres the link to a HUGE discussion on nexus about this. http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.p...odding-for-skyrim-more-games-to-follow/page-1

Wow. 53 pages in one day.

Hah, I'm pretty sure there isn't anything of real value to learn there. I don't think I've ever seen an emotionally-charged internet thread that actually presented logical, reasoned arguments.

How dare you. You're worse than Hitler :p

Which is why I find it bizarre that people are angry at Steam for simply giving people more freedom, as opposed to being angry at the people who supposedly misuse or abuse that freedom. It's a viewpoint that I can't actually see any logic behind.

The majority of people aren't angry at Steam for giving people more freedom - they're pissed because Valve gets a whopping 75% of the cut.

In regards to not seeing any logic behind that particular viewpoint you were talking about - I can see some startling parallels with Hard Drugs and Guns. :crazyeye:

My 2 cents on the issue - The top two comments on the /r/games thread puts it pretty succinctly:

On one hand, people deserve to be paid for their work, but on the other, modding was usually done as proof of concept or a way to pad your portfolio, or simply to have fun. If given a chance, everyone is going to charge for their stuff.

-/u/le_throaway

I really don't like this. I think they should have just added an option to donate to a developer of a mod. Putting stuff like this behind a paywall just seems like Valve trying to get their hands in on a potential profitable market that has always been free. Also the prices are absolutely ridiculous. There's a "debut pack" for Skyrim which is an assortment of 17 weapons, armor, new companions etc., and it is DISCOUNTED to $29. How insane for something that used to just be completely free. And I hate how they're trying to spin it as "supporting modders". Give me a break. I have no doubt Valve will be taking their cut of every single transaction here, which is the real reason why this is happening. EDIT: Wow, the Modders cut is 25% of the total sale. That's insane. Any attempt to call this "supporting modders" is blatantly misleading. I understand 25% is a solid cut for them, I'm mostly irritated at the idea that Valve is clearly just trying to profit off of the modding community and then borderline lie about it.

-/u/Hoser117

Despite working hours and hours on end towards developing free content, I'd never put any of my content behind a paywall. I mean, maybe I'd put a "Donate" button somewhere on the Steam Workshop page, but even then, I'd ensure that none of the funds go towards myself.

If this model is to stay - Valve should've approached such a scheme in a Humble Bundle style fashion - wherein the purchaser gets to choose where exactly his money goes (split between charity, developer, modder and Valve - where the minimum threshold for each is 5%).

I find the comment that suddenly the majority of modders are going to charge money rather spurious - how many people have already spoken up here to say they won't charge for their mods?

Admittedly, maybe the Skyrim community is different? I wouldn't really know - I don't use any mods with Skyrim.

Modders have heaps of reasons to mod games. Perhaps the love the game, perhaps it's fun. Perhaps they want to introduce people to new creeds and cultures, or perhaps they want to make people step outside of their comfort zone.

No modder in Civilization V has ever modded for monetary gain. If such a model is introduced in Civ V, you have to ask yourself - "will that singular fact change and subsequently influence mod design in the future?"

That's a bit out of context though. Rather I was talking about your quote -

The comment I made in itself was rather facetious, but I was drawing parallels between your comment and getting angry at a Government that deregulates Hard Drug/Guns as opposed to being angry at those who distribute or misuse Guns/Drugs. In that sense - we can see it being rather logical for people to not be too happy with the former.

Anyway, regarding freedom - giving people the freedom to charge for their products isn't really freedom when Valve takes the overwhelming majority of the cut. Semantically speaking, sure - Valve is giving people the opportunity to do something that they didn't have before. In this sense it is "freedom". However this "freedom" is not without caveats. So in essence, this restricted "Freedom™" is not really freedom and is overall detrimental to the modding scene in general.

The comment I made in itself was rather facetious, but I was drawing parallels between your comment and getting angry at a Government that deregulates Hard Drug/Guns as opposed to being angry at those who distribute or misuse Guns/Drugs. In that sense - we can see it being rather logical for people to not be too happy with the former.

Ahh, my apologies for misusing your comment, then.

Anyway, regarding freedom - giving people the freedom to charge for their products isn't really freedom when Valve takes the overwhelming majority of the cut. Semantically speaking, sure - Valve is giving people the opportunity to do something that they didn't have before. In this sense it is "freedom". However this "freedom" is not without caveats. So in essence, this restricted "Freedom™" is not really freedom and is overall detrimental to the modding scene in general.

Could you elaborate on this? Sure, the system is not completely free - people cannot choose to give more money to the modder and less (or none) to Steam. But people can still opt out of the system. Modders are not obligated to charge money for their mods. The system could continue exactly as it has before, with all modders providing their mods for free, and thus Steam making no extra money. Nothing I've heard compels modders to charge for mods. The system simply says "those modders who want to charge for mods and accept only getting 25% can do so".

So I'm puzzled how this will affect the community as a whole? Sure, some people will say "I'm fine with steam taking 75% , so I'll charge for my kid's. But, aside from some people being unable to afford some mods... how will that actually affect anything?

Could you elaborate on this?

Hmm... basically the terms "freedom" and "opportunity" are interchangeable in my comments.

Yay for semantics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom