Inventions (general aspects)

Ayy, I don't know if you guys are still into creating new features, ...

We are. :)

Progress is simply slow, since we are a tiny team.
Also our real lifes really keep us very busy as well.

How about using the existing military points to "simulate" inventions.

Adding a new Yield produced by a new Profession is incredibly simple.
There is no need to "simulate".

The huge efforts for an invention feature are in other parts of the implementation.

1) Implementing all the effects of inventions (without introducing bugs or side effects)
2) Implementing all the inventions in XML with good balancing
3) Implementing a screen to display them
4) Implementing a system of dialogues to trade them with other players
5) Creating / Finding all the buttons
6) Taking care that the implementation doesn't ruin performance

Even though a lot could be copied from Civ4(BtS) the effort to implement a good system for inventions comparable to the one that exists in Civ4(BtS) is incredible.
Civ4(Bts) and Civ4Col (and especially RaR) are quite different when it comes to the details.

Also it is very likely that such a huge feature will also introduce several sideffects and bugs that need to be found and fixed.
(Which would be totally normal when adding huge amounts of code.)

So I don't know if I will ever find time (or enough motivation) for such a huge feature.

But anything else isn't interesting to me. :dunno:
I hate / refuse to implement crapy workarounds just to have a fast solution.
That is simply not my way of modding.

We have discussed "inventions" already in the past.

From my side on one side it sounds interesting - sure -, but RaR already has a high complexity. The implementation of inventions would change the whole mod. Personally I think RaR does not need this feature.

If an implementation will be discussed some day in the future (very very far away!) it will have to be implemented very carefully and will take a LOT of work...so I think it is more likely than not that we will never consider the implementation of "inventions"... ;):king:

Top Bottom