500 hours... and counting

Erm, why? So you leave your computer running for weeks without turning it off? Bit of a waste of electricity....

As long as the monitor is off, it's not much electricity being wasted.
In fact default windows settings even when the computer is plugged in will first turn off the monitor, next turn off the hard drive, and then put the computer to sleep for you.

The main reason I can think of to keep Civ V running is to save time doing all the following:
1. Computer contacting steam
2. Civ V launching
3. Loading the game file.

The main disadvantage is that there appears to be a small memory leak in the section of code dealing with display, perhaps in DirectX itself. While for a few hours it doesn't matter, eventually (if left on for days) it can cause a crash.

As long as the monitor is off, it's not much electricity being wasted.
In fact default windows settings even when the computer is plugged in will first turn off the monitor, next turn off the hard drive, and then put the computer to sleep for you.

The main reason I can think of to keep Civ V running is to save time doing all the following:
1. Computer contacting steam
2. Civ V launching
3. Loading the game file.

The main disadvantage is that there appears to be a small memory leak in the section of code dealing with display, perhaps in DirectX itself. While for a few hours it doesn't matter, eventually (if left on for days) it can cause a crash.

I leave it on bc of pure laziness. I hate waiting for the startup and loading games. My computer stays on 24/7 for months at time.

The game does crash occasionally. The screen starts to flicker. Then I start losing information displays at the top of the screen (gold culture etc) then the minimap goes and I can't bring up the main menu. GOtta Ctrl-alt-delete that sucker then but restarting always fixes the problem.

I read once that a computer (w/o monitor on) uses about as much power as a 60 watt lightbulb. So its like leaving one light on in your living room all night. Not a big deal.

Fun Fact:

If you leave your computer running for 30 days straight...anything that doesn't break will probably never break for 10 years of continuous use.

Also, anything that can be turned on by remote control uses power even when it's off. A computer that is not running full power mode uses little electricity. Things that deal with heat etc uses quite a bit of energy. I also leave my computer on but still I would close CIV. The memory leak is noticeable if I don't.

I've been playing since 2011 and have 3417 hours. I took a long hiatus after my computer broke, but now that it's fixed I've started to play again.

Top Bottom