Differences between Civ 5 and Civ 4?

Teelman

Warlord
Has anyone compiled a comprehensive list of the differences in game play between civ 4 and civ 5?

I have yet to find a way to trade techs, has this been removed from the game?

Obviously religion has been removed. Also, is there any city maintenance anymore? My first game i played, another AI civ settled their second city right next to me even though their capital was 20-25 tiles away.

;) What you are asking is a long long list.

Maybe it's easier to give you a "what in common between Civ5 and Civ4" :lol:

Just some example:
In Civ5, instead of :gold: for :science: only, you need to balance:
Science: accumulated to get new techs
Gold: accumulated to get allied city state, research treaty or hurry production
Happiness: accumulated to start gold age
Culture: accumulated to adopt new policy (which brings no less bonus than techs)

Tech trading is gone (but there are research agreements).
City maintenance is gone (happiness is the empire size limiting factor).
The AI can aggressively settle to mess up your growth - just like human players did in Civ4. Capture and raze.

But yeah, tons of things have changed, its not easy to make a single list.

It plays more like a game of Risk than Civ, that's about the best way I can succinctly sum it up.

Roads and railroads are needed only for connecting cities, no resource connection anymore.
Fights between two units can last and mostly will last more than one attack.
Rivers don't connect cities.
Civ5 has a lot better graphics.
No squares, but hexagons.
No health anymore in cities. Cow, Deer, Wheat etc. resources give only extra food on the tile if improved.
Strategic resources give you limited amount of units to build. Example you improve a iron deposit, you get 6 iron. You can build only 6 units which require iron. There are different deposits which give different amounts. Same with horses, aluminium, uranium, coal, oil. No bronze resource in the game anymore.
All civs start with exactly the same tech tree, only Agriculture researched.
All units can embark onto water if certain techs have been researched. You can invade from water with land units without making huge pile of transport ships. Embarked land units can't attack tho, must protect with naval units.
Ranged units. Example archers, catapults can shoot two tiles. Some units like artillery can shoot three tiles.
For spaceship victory, you must build the spaceship in one city, which means pieces built in other cities, must be transported to the city where the launchpad is.

To name a few...

Tech trading is gone (but there are research agreements).
City maintenance is gone (happiness is the empire size limiting factor).
The AI can aggressively settle to mess up your growth - just like human players did in Civ4. Capture and raze.

But yeah, tons of things have changed, its not easy to make a single list.
Yup, city maintenance is gone, long live building maintenance!

Is there a way to culture flips cities still and tiles? for instance if another civ already has purchased a tile but i want it, is there a way to flip it?

Is there a way to culture flips cities still and tiles? for instance if another civ already has purchased a tile but i want it, is there a way to flip it?

Only with a Great Artist culture bomb, or by capturing the city.

In Civ 5, there is no such thing as a plains hill, a grassland hill, a desert hill, or a tundra hill. A hill is a hill is a hill. (Except for snow hills...snow is weak)

Also, there is no difference between a plains forest, a grassland forest, or a tundra forest until it is chopped down. A forest is a forest. A forest on a hill is still just a forest.

This is the special function of the Great Artist. Active the ability when the unit is standing in your territory and it will flip all adjacent non-city tiles to your control. Flipping tiles that are controlled by AI or City States will damage relations with them.

The opponent can also use their own Great Artist to flip the tiles back, but I've never seen the computer do this.

There is no way to culture flip a city in Civ 5.

Top Bottom