World War II in the Pacific

Btw I get a

TXT_KEY_WW2_EVENT_VICTORY
TXT_KEY_WW2_EVENT_DEFEAT_CIV

error.

That's exactly the same problem I have. I'm also using Vista. I tried the latest version of the Genetics Era Mod (0.8) and it wouldn't even load. I tried the same mod on my XP hard drive and it worked just fine. I haven't tried this scenario on XP, but I suspect it will work fine there as well. I think Windows Vista is the prime suspect. I've never had problems in the past with mods, though. Maybe one of the latest Vista updates broke something...:rolleyes:

That's exactly the same problem I have. I'm also using Vista. I tried the latest version of the Genetics Era Mod (0.8) and it wouldn't even load. I tried the same mod on my XP hard drive and it worked just fine. I haven't tried this scenario on XP, but I suspect it will work fine there as well. I think Windows Vista is the prime suspect. I've never had problems in the past with mods, though. Maybe one of the latest Vista updates broke something...:rolleyes:

I think your right.

I remember it working before on Vista.

Err, Microsoft!!!! :mad:

hey hey hey! I was just looking and I think you should like, merge this scenario into the World War mod pack! :D Just an idea.

Yep the 1939 WWII mod :)

I've tried and tried to get this to run but I still get the TXT_KEY_WW2_EVENT_VICTORY
TXT_KEY_WW2_EVENT_DEFEAT_CIV
error. I'm not so sure this is a Vista problem since the Mod does load and end with an instant defeat message. I stay in Civ4 with everything working okay. Any other ideas on what this might be?

I gather that the TXT_KEY error means that it's looking for a text in XML, but there isn't one. The worst case scenario normally is that the game goes on without it. The weird part is that you get the "you have been defeated" message.

I gave up on getting this to work in Vista. I plopped my old XP hard drive back into my notebook and fired up this scenario because I really wanted to try it. And I'm glad I did! My fear was that it would be like so many other scenarios with 100's of units and cities to start with and no idea with what to do with them all. Kudos for not doing that. This is a fun scenario! I really like the way you handle the tech tree. The new graphics and everything else you did creates a good 'period' feel. I even find it necessary to use my carrier fighters for CAPs. Thanks for a great scenario. Hopefully there will be a BTS updated version.:D
Now I must get back. I've lost Wake Island, Guam, and half of the Philippines!

Hi. First Gaius, i wanna thank u for makin this scenario. Ive had a lot of fun playing it. It clear it took u a lot of work. I have a lot of respect for ur patience in making it. This is my first post ever on civfanatics (player since civ1 but not a real pro) and i did it for one reason: to tell u i have the same TXT_KEY error message. It occured after i got the updated scenario. As the other guys i too have Vista. It loads the mod, even the scenario, then it gives the starting text: "War has erupted, etc.", and at the same time it tells me i have been defeated. I can only hope that this problem can be fixed.
Keep up the good work!

I plopped my old XP hard drive back into my notebook and fired up this scenario because I really wanted to try it. And I'm glad I did! My fear was that it would be like so many other scenarios with 100's of units and cities to start with and no idea with what to do with them all. Kudos for not doing that.

That's exactly what I wanted to avoid. Most scenarios start with lots of cities and units, making the game run very slowly and hard to manage. The only civ that starts with a lot of units is Japan (for obvious reasons) but I tried to keep it down, and the others have only a bare minimum at first. Looks like I succeeded. :)

I have an idea that might fix the Vista problem. Open up the Python Events file and delete or comment out this section:

Code:
 def displayVictoryPopup( self, strText ):
  """Displays a pop-up message with strText as message."""
  popup = PyPopup.PyPopup()
  popup.setHeaderString( localText.getText("TXT_KEY_WW2_EVENT_VICTORY", ()) )
  popup.setBodyString( localText.getText(strText, ()) )
  popup.launch()

def defeatCheck(self, iPlayer):
  """Display a message if a human player has been defeated."""
  if gc.getGame().getActivePlayer() == iPlayer:
   strPlayerAdj = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer).getCivilizationAdjective(2)
   strAllies = ''
   if self.isPlayerAxis(iPlayer):
    if ( iPlayer != iJapanese and gc.getPlayer(iJapanese).isAlive() ):
     strAllies += gc.getPlayer(iJapanese).getCivilizationShortDescription(2)
   if self.isPlayerAllies(iPlayer):
    if ( iPlayer != iBritish and gc.getPlayer(iBritish).isAlive() ):
     strAllies += gc.getPlayer(iBritish).getCivilizationShortDescription(2)
    if ( iPlayer != iAmericans and gc.getPlayer(iAmericans).isAlive() ):
     if strAllies == '':
      strAllies += gc.getPlayer(iAmericans).getCivilizationShortDescription(2)
     else:
      strAllies += ' ' + localText.getText("TXT_KEY_AND", ()) + gc.getPlayer(iAmericans).getCivilizationShortDescription(2)
    if ( iPlayer != iChinese and gc.getPlayer(iChinese).isAlive() ):
     if strAllies == '':
      strAllies += gc.getPlayer(iChinese).getCivilizationShortDescription(2)
     else:
      strAllies += ' ' + localText.getText("TXT_KEY_AND", ()) + gc.getPlayer(iChinese).getCivilizationShortDescription(2)
   popup = PyPopup.PyPopup()
   popup.setHeaderString( localText.getText("TXT_KEY_WW2_EVENT_VICTORY", ()) )
   popup.setBodyString( localText.getText("TXT_KEY_WW2_EVENT_DEFEAT_CIV", (strPlayerAdj, strAllies)) )
   popup.launch()

Maybe that will fix the TXT_KEY error.

Sorry Gaius, same here. For some reason it refuses to load the map and it concludes that the human player has been defeated. I noticed one thing that may help: If i choose to pick a scenario (in the start screen) and i select WWII in the Pacific usually a small line of text appears to describe it. In this one however it says: TXT_KEY_WWII PAC_DESC. Thank you for trying!!

For some reason right when I start the senario the game tells me that I have lost. I tryed using the updated python events code but it still does not seem to work. Am I doing something wrong?

This must be a Vista problem. If you load the mod, then click play a scenario and select WWII in the Pacific, it should load properly. The fact that MrBurns reported the TXT_KEY_WWIIPAC_DESC isn't working makes it sound like the game is not even loading the mod correctly.

This is the best scenario I've played so far and by a wide margin. A few details though:

Maybe you wanted it this way, but I noticed that playing the Americans ships and artillery cannot bombard. Also, you permit multiple airlifts to the same city per turn (unlike regular CIV IV that limits to one). This makes it possible to dump a lot of forces into Manila and hold it easily. That's probably not waht you intended. Another detail is the B-17 shows a range of 10 but actually only has a range of 7.

Honestly, Farrapo, I don't know what you mean. I don't have those problems...

As for the airlifting thing, I played a game in Warlords last night and I was able to airlift as many units to a city as I wanted per turn (from different airports) so I guess that's just how it is in the regular game.

Top Bottom