[WARLORDS MOD + SCENARIO] Legends of Ancient Arabia

Yes, Im running civ 4 on gateway NX860 series laptop from last year which came with a nvidia geForce 6800 video card and it has always run the game well, I think the newest one has a geForce 7900 and is 2k on their site. Ive had good luck with gateway so far.

I was thinking it should be World Wonders so the resource would be traded and be of value since it would be available only from you. Its done like that in the EE3 mod by ArbitraryGuy.

Maybe it can be set to allow 2 or 3 overall rather then one for each civ. I think I have seen that in the Middle Ages Mod for their Hansaeatic League memberships.

The civs that controlled the various trade routes got rich of off that in real life and it would give incentive to conquer those cities.

Now that I think about it, maybe you could restrict the building of them by gegraphic area. I know you restrict building by latitude (space elevator), can you restrict by longitude as well?

Hey guys... thanks for the great rating! That's definitely encouraging, and it gives me a good idea of the degrtee to which people are enjoying my mod. 4 stars! Awesome!

jefmart1: Yeah that could be done by using the xml from a wonder that creates resources, like Rock and Roll. The Middle Ages Mod used Spaceship projects for their Hanseatic League but those don't generate a resource. Also I'm using Spaceship for my Arabian Merchant Victory.

Here's a question I'd like to get a response to, if anyone gets the chance:

Do you like having the interaction with classical civs who possess technologies that aren't available to you? Or would you prefer to have Arabian Kingdoms only?

I would prefer Arabian civs only (obviously) with access to the classical civs through Wonders like I suggested.

I think contact with them as civs detracts from the feel somehow...

for financial victory condition i dont think having a contact with the classical civ is needed

I´ve downloaded this mod and must say it´s a great pleasure to have an unspent scenario like this. :goodjob:

So, now I´ve to return to the Arabian Peninsula. ;)

Wow! Those are beautiful units, sakhr!! I will definitely use them!! My work on doing a new version of LOAA has been slowed down due to a couple of other projects I have to complete, but I'm doing what I can with the little bit of time I can spend on it... slowly but surely!

Blackbeard: Hey, I'm glad you're enjoying LOAA. Please check and back and let me know how your game plays out!

Hello Gordon Farell, this is by far the best scenario-mod i've played for Civ 4 :king: The attention to detail is amazing and very well researched too - honestly i wasn't really aware of the pre-Islamic Arabian desert cultures, so this was very entertaining and educational to play. The atmosphere is really immersing; apart from the music, i also liked the manuscript-style LHs which fit in seamlessly within the scenario's context.

Thank you for spending time and effort for this excellent mod, and i'll be looking forward to more updates :goodjob:

Hey Gordon, first I want to say thank you for putting time and effort in doing this mod and sharing it with us.

Second, I must say I'm impressed. Been a huge fan of historical scenarios, specially ancient ones, and also a huge admirer of the arabic culture, so when I saw this one yesterday, I couldn't resist ;)

I played a bit last night just to get a feel of the game and today I've spent most of the day enjoying your fine work! I loved every second. I played the Palmyraeans and was a bit afraid in the first time i saw the starting location... desert all around, desert all the way to the south, Alexander, the Great to the west, and the assyrians everywhere... Must say it was very chalenging figuring out how to make my civ survive on the desert, and how the heck I would be able to make some income, but it was also very fun! :)

The geographical and historical accuracy impressed me.

About the wait times, yes they were a bit longer them usual, but nothing annoying, specially for those used to warlords multiplayer. Although I have a nice vga, dunno if it helped.

To finish, one thing that let me curious... some time in the middle of the game I noted that it seemed only my civ was evolving... most, or all, of them seemed to be using the same early units they had at the beginning, except for the persians from which I saw some strong cavalry late in the game. Also most of them - that I could note - were not improving the land, I mean... no farm, no resource e also no roads for the most of them, except for a fellow arab south of me I didn't see improvements at all. Is it alright?

besides that, awesome mod! Thanks!

pazize, what difficulty level are you playing on? In modded scenarios, the normal difficulty settings don't function as well as they do in normal random maps. The result is that your opponents have fewer resources and build much more slowly than they otherwise would.

Modded scenarios should always be played on Noble or higher.

Gordon, I was playing on Noble. I usually play on Noble, so I rised one notch as soon as I was given de option to.

Maybe if I try it on prince or higher?!

Thanks in advance!

I'm wondering...

Did anyone besides pazize have this problem.... ?

"some time in the middle of the game I noted that it seemed only my civ was evolving... most, or all, of them seemed to be using the same early units they had at the beginning, except for the persians from which I saw some strong cavalry late in the game. Also most of them - that I could note - were not improving the land, I mean... no farm, no resource e also no roads for the most of them"

i dont have this problems and i played as noble mostly as Sabaeans but the other factions too the other civs exploited all their ressource and are hard to conquer

Never had that problem...Usually the other civs were tough to conquer and well developed.

Well that's good! I wonder what could have caused this to happen to pazize... oh well, guess we might not ever know...

Hey Gordon! As a scholar of the Middle East, I have to say this mod is FANTASTIC - I really appreciate your work and research.

Salam Aleykum!

Thanks, Gordon for a truly entertaining mod! It´s great that someone has put so much effort to a very little known niche of time/space. I wonder if you could add some encylopaedic info on the civilizations? I´m playing as the Palmyrans, and I surely can place the ancient city of Palmyra on the map, but I´m afraid that´s the end of my knowledge.:goodjob:

VetMichael - Thank you for the good words! It's especially gratifying to me when folks who have studied Middle Eastern culture and history enjoy LoAA! Feel free to make any comments you like, to ask questions, or provide me with additional material you think should be included in the next version of the mod.

srimmius - Glad you're enjoying it! I'd really appreciate it if you can keep me posted on your progress as you play through your map. As far as the civilopedia goes, yeah, that's one area I haven't completed yet, specifically for the leaders, the civilizations, the religions, and the civics. If you do some research on your own and would like to contribute entries, I would be DELIGHTED to include your work in the next version.

Thanks again!

Ustaz Gordon: I was happily surprised (though I suppose I should not have been) that al-Tabari was one of the chroniclers of Civilizations in the game - excellent detail!

A couple of points I'd like to bring up:
1) the game is incredibly awesome, very detailed, and wonderfully executed. Thank you.
2) With Early Machinery (I think that's what it's called), one is supposed to be able to construct windmills, but I have not been able to do that on ANY hillside, whether desert or grassland hills. I thought you should know.
3) I played around with the speed of the game (I tend to like long, drawn out games) and on Marathon speed on the Warlord (default) difficulty, I noticed the barbarian attackers had Eastern Roman Imperial Horsebowmen (strength 10)fairly early on (about 500 BCE) BUT on Quick speed, the barbarians remained Desert Warriors with the occasional Desert Horseman. I surmise this is unintentional, but thought you and others would like to know about the quirk. Is the scenario intended to be played on a certain setting/speed other than the default?
4) this is the sixth time I've played through; the scenario demands different responses depending on your location and neighbors - A most wonderful surprise, thanks!

Top Bottom