[UXP] Legends of Revolutions

@phungus420:

Well, I started to play tonight. Very nice. But I remembered why I don't play with the Revolution mod. I don't like fiddling with cities that constantly revolt. Is there a way to turn off the Rev component, but keep everything else? I couldn't find a way.

Maybe I'm just dense...

XML/GameInfo/Civ4GameOptionInfos...... look for the revolution entry and change it from 1 to 0 :king:

Couple of text errors I noticed my first time through (Revolutions component turned off):

- When given the quest to make a bunch of swordsmen, it says you will receive an additional option if you have Monarchy enabled as a civic. The additional option it provides is to give all of your melee units Shock I (the standard one is for all Swordsmen to be given Strength/Power I, I believe); however, picking the Shock I option does not provide your units with any promotions (so you essentially did the quest for nothing). Though this is probably an issue with the normal game, and not this mod, it couldn't hurt to fix it anyway.

- The description of the "AI" technology says the first to discover it is given a free technology; however, that is not true.

- Refrigeration says it allows you to build "A Cottage"? I didn't understand this. I assume it meant Extreme Condition Cottage, but I wasn't sure (I didn't have any cities near tundra/ice anyway).

- "Receive" is spelled incorrectly... every time. Change all instances of recieve to receive.

- Many of the new leaders, like Ho Chi Minh and Reagen, don't have any greeting text at all (I realize this was from Wolfshanze).

There were a few other things, but I cannot remember what they are off the top of my head. I'll get back to those later.

Thank you, thank you. :)

Do you still need an Asian Legends Unit, Phungus? How about Ghurkas?

New Trait list is finally up. Sorry for delay, been busy for a change. Lots of changes. Like last time there are going to be a few lame pairings since there are 65 pairs of traits and 65 leaders. Also several were locked into place by phungus back when first list was made. Please hold comments till end of list where in the notes section I will try to explain my insanity.

Alexander: Agg/Philo
Asoka: Cre/Enl
Augustus: Imp/Org
Bismarck: Exp/Ind
Boudica: Cha/Spi
Brennus: Pro/Spi
Casimir III: Agg/Enl
Catherine: Cre/Imp
Churchill: Cha/Pro
Cleopatra: Cre/Org
Cyrus: Cha/Enl
Darius: Fin/Org
DeGaulle: Cha/Ind
Elizabeth: Fin/Philo
Francis I: Fin/Imp------[fixed]
Franz Joseph: Ind/Org
Frederick: Philo/Org
Ghengis: Agg/Exp
Ghandi: Philo/Spi
Gilgamesh: Cre/Pro
Hammurabi: Enl/Org
Hannibal: Cha/Fin
Hatshepsut: Cre/Spi
Hiawatha: Exp/Org
Hirohito: Agg/Imp
Hitler: Agg/Cha
HoChiMinh: Philo/Pro
Huayna Capac: Fin/Ind
Isabel: Exp/Spi
Jan III Sobieski: Imp/Pro-----[fixed]
Jaoa: Exp/Imp
Julius: Cha/Imp
Justinian: Imp/Spi
Kublai: Agg/Cre
Lech: Org/Pro------[fixed]
Lenin: Enl/Exp
Lincoln: Cha/Philo
Louis XIV: Cre/Ind
Mansa: Fin/Spi
Mao: Exp/Pro
Mahmed: Exp/Fin
Meiji: Enl/Fin------[fixed]
Montezuma: Agg/Spi
Napolean: Cha/Org
NapoleanIII: Cre/Philo
Pacal II: Ind/Pro
Pericles: Enl/Philo
Peter: Exp/Philo
Qin: Imp/Ind
Ragnar: Agg/Fin
RamessesII: Ind/Spi
Reagan: Cha/Cre
Roosevelt: Enl/Ind
Saladin: Enl/Spi
Shaka: Agg/Org
Sitting Bull: Enl/Pro
Stalin: Agg/Ind
Suileman: Imp/Philo
Suryavarman: Cre/Exp
Tokugawa: Agg/Pro
Victoria: Enl/Imp------[fixed]
Wang: Fin/Pro
Washington: Cha/Exp
Willem: Cre/Fin
Zara: Org/Spi

{{{Anyone that's interested you can now disregard this next paragraph}}}
Firstly, you'll notice that Lech Walesa is blank. This is due to the existance of Enl/Fin. This seems to me as another degenerate combo just like Ind/Philo. Financial is one of the best and Enlightened is just about as good. Together though they will create a crazy teching machine. No matter how you play you will always be out teching everyone. Also the only ones that I could see that combo describing are Mansa, Roosevelt, and Frederick. Mansa is out of the question (being the worst tech whore in the game), People would have a cow if I gave it to Roosevelt, and Freddy only kinda fits the bill. In the end I thought it best that no one get it so that means taking some one out and Lech seems like the best candidate. Judging from his civlopedia entry he doesnt seem like much of a leader especially when comparing him to the other Polish leaders. If taking him out is not an option or the combo isnt as powerful as I'm thinking than the easiest thing to do is give Freddy Enl/Fin, then give Franz Org/Philo, then Lech gets Ind/Org. (Roosevelt getting Enl/FIn would require even more switching around)

Enlightened was used a few times as not just a scientific trait but as a religious/tolerance trait like with Asoka. Enl describes him even better than just plain Spi and allowed for more switching.

I followed Phungus's suggestion and switched Ghandi back to Philo/Spi. Which meant Saladin could get back Enl/Spi. That then freed up Enl/Philo for Pericles. I didn't see any civ more deserving of Enl/Philo than Greece or for that matter no other leader that could lay claim to being more Enl/Philo than Pericles.

Churchill got swithced back to Cha/Pro. That meant Boudica once again gets the shaft. I hated to see the celtic queen fall further (Hitler already "annexed" her Agg/Cha) and since hardly anything is known about Brennus he got stuck with lame traits (This is a common occurance in the list, well known leaders, where alot is known about them, and sufficciently large legends surrounding them, got favored over ones that little is known about).

Pacal got Ind/Pro because he transformed his city state with great architecture and his name literally means shield. Couldn't really find anything on him being Exp/Fin.

Hiawatha's traits describe more the Iroquois confederation than himself (another one where little is known about him). Iroquois were somewhat Exp, assimilating neighboring tribes, by force or persuasion. They also had an organized government. It is credited with having some influence over the U.S. Articles of Confederation and our Constitution. I didnt want to fall in same trap of east asian civs and stereotyping them with something like Pro/Spi. I'm sure Mehmed fans won't mind losing Org and gaining Fin.

Victoria got switched back to her original traits to get rid of Enl/Fin and the queen that expanded the British empire to its greatest heights needed Imp back.

There are a few leaders that I wanted to switch but was unsure on. I've wanted to take Alex's philosophic way and make him the penultimate warmonger but that isnt possible with current list. However I could see him switching with Casimir and becoming Agg/Enl but was afraid no one would understand. Alex was every bit as Enl as anyone else with progressive ideas of creating new hellestinic world with new infrastructure and melding cultures together even taking on persian culture himself. In the end. didnt see how switching those two would any better describe them so if it aint broke..

Same thing goes for Washington and Cyrus. Both could easily switch with each other but like in previous example, I left well enough alone. Cyrus, Washington, and Alex are all popular leaders and without 2nd opinion I felt not messing with them the best course of action.

Couple of text errors I noticed my first time through (Revolutions component turned off):
Thanks for reporting these:
- When given the quest to make a bunch of swordsmen, it says you will receive an additional option if you have Monarchy enabled as a civic. The additional option it provides is to give all of your melee units Shock I (the standard one is for all Swordsmen to be given Strength/Power I, I believe); however, picking the Shock I option does not provide your units with any promotions (so you essentially did the quest for nothing). Though this is probably an issue with the normal game, and not this mod, it couldn't hurt to fix it anyway.
:dunno:
All the XML and Python looks right. It should give Drill1, and not shock though. Also the text file doesn't say shock, so I'm wondering where you're getting this from. Are you sure you didn't receive Drill1 for all melee units?

- The description of the "AI" technology says the first to discover it is given a free technology; however, that is not true.

- Refrigeration says it allows you to build "A Cottage"? I didn't understand this. I assume it meant Extreme Condition Cottage, but I wasn't sure (I didn't have any cities near tundra/ice anyway).

- "Receive" is spelled incorrectly... every time. Change all instances of recieve to receive.

Fixed now, will be in the next test release, and also the next official release whenever that is.

- Many of the new leaders, like Ho Chi Minh and Reagen, don't have any greeting text at all (I realize this was from Wolfshanze).
I don't quite understand the Diplomacy XML file. I'm going to need to figure it out though when I add Haiwatha, and remove Kim Jung Il... So this will be dealt with at that time.

Again thanks for reporting these. Always good to quash minor bugs.

Oh, didn't even notice the new list. Awesome.

You really think Enlightened is powerfull? The AI doesn't seem to do well with it at all. In fact I was considering buffing it some... Will think about cutting Lech, I'll wait for others opinions on the subject, and see if there are any tweaks to your list that are suggested. Overall, it looks good, and I'll probably use it as is with no changes. Thanks again for making it, probably took a long time, appreciate that.

Edit:
I think I'm going to give Meiji:
Meiji: Enl/Fin
And then give Lech Meiji's trait combo of:
Enl/Imp

If anyone should be a tech whore, it's Meiji... He turned Japan from a middle ages feudal society into a full scale industrial nation state that beat Russia in a war in less then 50 years!

@ Phungus :

When will you have a new "testbuild" or a new "official"...

I'm tempted to download 0.9.1x but if tomorrow there is a new "official" or "testbuild", i would like to wait this...

What about a Standard Earth Map for smaller PC configs...
You can have 34 civs, on Standard Earth Map, these Civs could cover all the Earth and you could disabling Revolutions and Barb Civ for this special map setting...

you could set this with 2000AD civs or 1000AD civs which lead to both nice scenarios...

What do you think ? With these two Scenarios = "Big Success" for your mod :goodjob:

@ Phungus :

When will you have a new "testbuild" or a new "official"...

I'm tempted to download 0.9.1x but if tomorrow there is a new "official" or "testbuild", i would like to wait this...
The next test build will be up when I get the Native American civ split to Iroqoius and Souix nations. This may take a while, so if you're tempted to download the current test build, do so. Actually the current test build has some massive improvements. The fact AI is now aware of the enlightened non state religion culture seems to make a big difference. I'm noticing Enlightened leaders spreading non state religions now.

What about a Standard Earth Map for smaller PC configs...
You can have 34 civs, on Standard Earth Map, these Civs could cover all the Earth and you could disabling Revolutions and Barb Civ for this special map setting...

you could set this with 2000AD civs or 1000AD civs which lead to both nice scenarios...

What do you think ? With these two Scenarios = "Big Success" for your mod :goodjob:
Find me the map, and I'll edit it and make it compatible, and include it in a future release ;)

Oh, didn't even notice the new list. Awesome.

You really think Enlightened is powerfull?

Well honestly I just wasn't sure, was just playing it safe for balancing purposes. Enl isn't close to overpowered by itself, but in conjunction with financial It was hard to give it to one leader over another. Financial gets steadily stronger as your cottages grow but with Enlightened that begining phase where your probably running a hybrid, is bolstered even more. You pretty much can't go wrong with that combo. The only ones I had considered giving it to already either were tech monsters or their civ already had one (like if i had give it to Vicky when england already had Lizzy's overachieving behind).

In the same breath I was also thinking if enlightened could be boosted. It is one of the most well made/thought out traits I've seen but it is new and untested. I just didn't have any play time or feedback on how strong it is.

Edit:
I think I'm going to give Meiji:
Meiji: Enl/Fin
And then give Lech Meiji's trait combo of:
Enl/Imp

If anyone should be a tech whore, it's Meiji... He turned Japan from a middle ages feudal society into a full scale industrial nation state that beat Russia in a war in less then 50 years!

That's actually a great idea that had never dawned on me! (the Meiji: Enl/Fin, not the Lech: Enl/Imp) Hirohito almost got financial since he presided over the post war economic miracle. Personally though Meiji's transformation from swords and horse to rivaling Russia and the rest of the world, does seem like a greater leap to me. Hirohito at least had some help from US reconstruction aid and Japan had already brought up to speed, tech wise, with the rest of the world by the aforementioned Meiji reformation.

If Meiji gets Enl/Fin than I would suggest this switch: Victoria gets his Enl/Imp, Francis I gets her Fin/Imp, Jan Sobieski gets Imp/Pro, then Lech get Org/Pro. This way England doesnt get 2 financials and Vicky still techs strongly. Sobieski is deserving of military traits. Lech just doesnt deserve Imperialistic. Organized for the whole forming unions for his shipyard thing and Protective for.... well some one's gota wind up with it. Protective needs boosting.

If Meiji gets Enl/Fin than I would suggest this switch: Victoria gets his Enl/Imp, Francis I gets her Fin/Imp, Jan Sobieski gets Imp/Pro, then Lech get Org/Pro. This way England doesnt get 2 financials and Vicky still techs strongly. Sobieski is deserving of military traits. Lech just doesnt deserve Imperialistic. Organized for the whole forming unions for his shipyard thing and Protective for.... well some one's gota wind up with it. Protective needs boosting.
When I implement the Native split, I will copy the traits off your list when going through the leaderheadinfos file. So just edit your list in the post above, and your changes will be implemented. I'm unlikely to do this until the weekend, as it's alot of work, and there are some things I'm unsure about. Up till now I've just ripped off used Wolfshanzes leaders and civilizations information. So I've been able to ignore the complex work of dealing with the cityLSystem and CityPlotSystem files, as well as the diplo file... This is all stuff I need to figure out.

Speaking of the cityLSystem and cityPlotSystem files, the next big step in stability needs to be taken. I need to rip out the high poly/texture models from the mod for structures, now that this has already been done with units. Any chance you'd be willing to identify city art/building art that is over 2000polys and/or over 512 texture size? Once those are identified I can then remove them from the XML, and this should increase stability alot on large/huge maps for those that prefer to play that way.

Trait list post is now updated.

I will start checking out the building's art files. Never actually messed with buildings nifs but they cant handle too much differently than units.

On side note: Do you already have Iroquois UU and UB? In mod comp forum all I see is longhouse for UB and Mohawk warrior for UU.

For Sioux I dont think totem pole will do either. Thats Pacific northwest indians. It was fine when it was just a generic native american civ. Now that Sioux is a civ it doesnt seem right to have its UB as something that a Sioux may have never even seen or heard of.

Actually no, I haven't really decided on UU/UBs for the Iroquois (or Souix for the matter, cept Souix are definatly getting the brave for a UU).

The next test build will be up when I get the Native American civ split to Iroqoius and Souix nations. This may take a while, so if you're tempted to download the current test build, do so. Actually the current test build has some massive improvements. The fact AI is now aware of the enlightened non state religion culture seems to make a big difference. I'm noticing Enlightened leaders spreading non state religions now.

Find me the map, and I'll edit it and make it compatible, and include it in a future release ;)

Found two maps :

1) from Munch : http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=9435
This map should be nice...

2) from Blue Ether : http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=8180
This map falls between Small and Standard but still accurate...

I hope that this maps are ok for you :goodjob:

The Shock thing was off the top of my head. It probably was Drill. I don't remember. Unfortunately I reloaded as soon as it happened (figured I'd do the other option, which actually gave me something), so I can't double check.

@Phungus420: Been thinking it over and I thinck your right that Enlightened could be boosted. Maybe +20-25%:science: would be just fine. Maybe also giving it half price observatories to go along with the monasteries. That would really encompass both the religious and scientific aspects of the trait. Also it would boost its late game, financial leaves it in the dust mid/late game. Later in the game there are a lot of other +X%:science: buildings so it starts to not be as good. Since it's +15% of the base science, by the time most of your cities have libraries and universities it winds up really being like +10% and only goes down from there.

I also just ran across the Blue Planet thread. Was somewhat interested in why it doesnt work with LoR. ColdFever gave a reply to your question. Didnt really sound all that helpful though but I dont know much about that sort of thing. Not really high on my list of game fixes but once you spend several years playing civ with BluePlanet its hard to look at the original colors.

Welcome to the forums.

It's a good idea, and certainly qualifies. Unfortunately it is another European based unit, which there are already enough of. Any further additions to the Legends category must be Asian or African in origin. This is because I'm limiting the mod to a dozen legends, and every legend is already European or American in origin, except two (the sacred band and hungarian cannon), which are middle eastern and mediteranian in origin. BTW the spanish armada is already kind of included with the Royal Galleon being a UU for Spain.

Thanks!

Yeah, too bad I only know something about european history... I was about to add Varangian Guard (rather fierce-reputed warriors of (mostly) Scandinavian origin fighting for the Byzantine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian ) to the list, but unfortunately it falls to the exactly same category.

Well, something to consider if you decide to include more than a dozen...

Two more legend unit ideas:

Barbary Corsairs/Pirates: Middle eastern pirates that totally wreaked havoc for 800 years. Would give the Renaissance a legend. If I can't have Blackbeard and the Queen Ann's Revenge then this the next best thing.

Pancho Villa's Villista's:. It would totally rock to have some guys with sombrero's and bandoliers and pistoliers. Viva la revolucion!!:lol: Once again though maybe this would be better saved as a UU if a Latin american civ ever gets added. (I would vote on a Gran Columbia civ)

The Renaisance/middle ages really needs a legend or two. Its only got 2 while modern/industrial has 5 and classical has 3. Having 3 early legends, 4 midgame , and 5 endgame would would be a really balanced progression.

I think a legendary knight would be good but that would mean finding an asian or african knight more legendary than the Knights Templars. (and I'd have to fight someone if they tried to claim that)

Also I second the idea from a few posts ago to moving the SAS to a UU. Theyre awsome and all but I dont think their legend is all that much bigger than the Speznaz, the SEALs, Green Berets or Delta force, or that Israeli one. Plus so much of what special forces do is so secret its hard to quantify them.

I was about to add Varangian Guard (rather fierce-reputed warriors of (mostly) Scandinavian origin fighting for the Byzantine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian ) to the list, but unfortunately it falls to the exactly same category.

The Varangian are already the UU for the vikings. I know its a little off but I think it was a throwback from this mods ancestors. I think its was from wolfschanze mod

Top Bottom