Which hero did you use and why

Angel-Julia

Fall from Heaven2 ROCKS!
the question of which hero to use comes up at the start. which one do people generally like to pick?

that advantages do they get over the normal units? the swordman looked just like a standard swordman, useful for the initial rush but i was uncertain of his future applicability beyond the first turns when i can build swordmen shortly.

I restarted and got Epona for the healing and later sorceress ability, it means i miss a lot of strength though get the healing. to my supprise the medic promotion became available to normal melee units. if FFH2 you need disciples, thus my medic advantage wasnt that profound as a warrior with medic could have done the job.

what promotions do people normally give to their heros?

how do you get additional heros? magistar said you get one after Caerbulin dies.

The event that gives you heroes occurs at the start of any turn when you don't happen to have a hero at the time, until all the heroes are dead. You can't choose the same hero more than once.

I prefer getting Caerbulin and sending him out exploring, specifically sending him to find the Chancel of the Guardians improvement. Entering that tile gives you the Knowledge of the Ether tech for free, allowing you to get an upgraded Epona much sooner than would be possible otherwise.

ok, thanks. that's a good tactic to try.

So how are the heros special above base units? they seem fairly ordinary to me. I guess having a free early sorceres isnt bad after KotE, commiting suicide with Chancel and getting Epona. Though they still seem kind of lame compared to the hero promotion that heros get in FFH2.

Yeah, they aren't all that great in AoI. It has been a while since I played, but I think they have one more point of strength than similar non-hero units, don't require building, and can be upgraded for free.

All of the heroes are good and it is fun to try them all out.

Epona will be real tough in the hard middle game when she learns fireball and can help the builder aspect of the game staying at home. Caerbulin is great at searching around and can help capture animals. The fighter (sorry, forgot his name) is real good for the initial rush which can be pretty important.

Usually the heroes get pretty tough by killing tens of thousands of frostlings and therefore getting a lot of experience.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Thanks. I decided to go for Magister's idea and hunt for the Chancel of the Guardians improvement.

yeah, Epona's fireballs may be good for the builders defence, but where fireballs really shine is on the offence taking enemy cities.

yep; frostlings are great exp. I went for mining 2nd (after acriculture of course) to get swordmen quickly. placed the swordmen in a forest at the pass, they picked up a huge load of exp from frostlings. you dont need a hero for farming exp from frostlings, and its a waste if i'll eventually suicide Caerbulin anyway

I even managed to squeeze out a worker at the very start of the build sequence before warrior spam. my initial warrior and two scouts held off the initial wave while the worker was being built. and the worker farmed over the sheep(no AH yet) and the river to make a good setler factory for city 2&3 which will be producing swordmen for a Dov invasion while i go for cottages etc after Iron.

I have to agree. I have honestly taken a city (small, but still) using only the fireballs. The ai didn't even attempt to attack

I use Eponia, once she becomes the sorceress she is great for helping to take down the dov. Until then I leave her in the city to increase the scientific output, and build up to survive.

I went with Caerbulin. Running him around smashing Frost Dens makes the barbarian threat very managable, meanwhile leveling him up with Combat promotions which make him more useful for your early city attacks than the Swordsman hero. While he might decrease in utility after the first 80 turns compared to Eponia, if you make him an assassin you can continue using him to conquer cities throughout the game. In fact, all my assassins became asskickers because I used useless Eyeballs to lure units out of cities to be assassinated.

The first time I played, I used the warrior, lost him, then got Epona. I liked her a lot better, because her fireball thing is useful for taking over early cities.

I used the scout, and he captured Fiacra, the eagle. 11/11, currently has~92 xp, with blitz, +125% strength, and is an absolute beast. She alone has taken out entire empires.

I use the scout first to explore and get knowledge of the ether, sometimes tame facia/mamoths and when thats done i kill him and go for epona w/fireballs. MUHAHAHAHA! than its at least survivable.

All three, because they always die :)

But I usually prefer Epona just for the fireballs

Belenus. I levelled him off wolves and frostlings, sent him to Lugh and killed him. Then finished Maulus. From there, it was quite easy so maybe I'll take Caerbulin next time.

I appologize in advance for the "thread-necromancy".

I just played through on Noble using Epona. I haven't really tried either of the other two. Epona was useful all the way through. If you're quick you can send your starting scouts to the Chancel (which I found using the Hero-Scout the first time, saw what it did then restarted to choose Epona), improve Epona to Sorceress and then demolish Doviello rather quickly. I sacked the capitol with just Epona and four Warriors.

In the early game I leveled her up with City-Attack, and then took the percentage increases up to five or six. By that point her Fireballs were killing Frost Giants in one or two blasts.

My next play through (probably not anytime soon, just DLed Fall from Heaven 2 :D) I will try out the Hero-Scout... capturing critters sounds fun. Can the Hero-swordsman do anything cool? I love how AoI's pikemen work... so I suppose Belenus as one of those would be powerful.

I always start with Caerbulin to explore the map, to get some promotions Woodsmen so that he can also defend on the Hill northwest to your capitol. He will eventually die and this time I chose Bellenus next. He can help to raze the barbarian city. Otherwise he is not much of a help. He is really weak and you won't have any iron or copper for long time, so you cannot upgrade him. The best of all is certainly Epona. You can kill instantly frostlings and weaken the rest of the stack. A very funny thing is to give her Woodsmen 2, than she can stray through Doviello territory, destroy roads and kill workers with the fire ball. It's very easy to weaken the Doviello economy before you really attack, even on emperor and immortal. You need some promoted guys (against melee and skirmisher), or archers that can destroy mines on the hills. It's a big mistake to play too much on the defense.

Top Bottom