Capto Iugulum

OOC: I meant, with reference to your un-ninja'd post, "like hell was that whole Buzatto thing genuinely to help Naples."

You had 13EP more growth than Austria last year. If that growth rate continues, which is extremely dubious, then it would take you more than a decade to catch them up, and even a decade is a long time.

Your destroyer is the only naval tech that Naples could give away.

OOC: Nothing is ever just water under the bridge with Brazil. Besides, I can easily defeat the Spanish and Sardine fleets and make it a Brazilian lake. :p Also, I'm tired of all the OOC actions by European nations, this being a new one.

ooc: Alas your hypothetically poor choice of ally is indeed water under the bridge. You can go postal in trying to get due satisfaction but that can't change the past. All you can do henceforth is pick better allies when your wanting an associate in European affairs. (shakes head that they supported naples over poor old Leo :p )

OOC: I meant, with reference to your un-ninja'd post, "like hell was that whole Buzatto thing genuinely to help Naples."

You had 13EP more growth than Austria last year. If that growth rate continues, which is extremely dubious, then it would take you more than a decade to catch them up, and even a decade is a long time.

Your destroyer is the only naval tech that Naples could give away.

OOC: It was the whole reason. My fleet just found itself trapped during the Great War. The growth rate will continue because Brazil Uber Alles.

To Japan
From Russia

Splendid

OOC: Enough of the OOC derails; they're not contributing to the NES. Both of your nations are pretty so there's no reason to fight

OOC: Yet my army is over twice the size of yours, the quality is higher, I have almost twice as much money as you, and my nation isn't in South America. But everything is subjective. :p

OOC: How is merely being in South America a detriment? You have something against South Americans?

To: Kingdom of Italy

We congratulate you for your unification, but we also are concerned about your allegiance with the Germans, who cannot be trusted.

King Ferdinand II stood proud, dressed in his finest clothes and freshly polished black shoes, before the crowd that gathered to witness the official ceremony naming Italy a constitutional monarchy. Naples, the newly named capital of the Kingdom of Italy, had undergone a lot of changes to prepare for this long awaited day. Ferdinand II nodded toward the soon to be appointed prime minister of the Nationalist Committee Marco Bellegnili then, turning toward the Italian people, began his speech.

“It brings me great joy to stand before you all as a, finally, unified Italian nation. For to long have we been separated and oppressed by foreign nations, but we have risen above that and broken the chains of those that would see us separate!” The crowd cheered loudly at these words which brought a smile to the King's face who continued. “We will, from now on, recognize this great day, the second of April 1909, as the Italian Unification Day. Now standing here with me is the representative of the Nationalist Committee which you fine people have elected to represent you all, Marco Bellegnili. I hope that him and I can have a long, strong friendship and be able to serve all of you to the best of our abilites.” Again cheers sounded throughout as Ferdinand II let Marco speak.

“I would like to thank everyone for this opportunity and for you all selecting my party which has allowed me this great opportunity to become your first ever prime minister. I will do everything I can, with the power granted to me, to uphold the your constitution and carry out the will of the Italian people.” Marco, a thirty-nine year old man with short black hair, standing five foot ten inches and dressed in a dark blue suit with black dress pants and shoes smiled widely showing his bright white teeth. “The Nationalist committee promises to do everything it can to strengthen Italy and bring a lasting glory to our great nation!”

After a couple of hours of multiple speakers taking turns addressing the crowd and being accompanied by a roar of cheering Ferdinand II officially approved of Marco Bellegnili to be prime minister. The two stood for a few moments after the approval and shook hands, talked to the Nationalist Committee and the rest of the royal family before finally departing behind a door into a closed room to begin discussions on how to lead Italy from here. The Italian people seemed very pleased, at least at this point in time, and Ferdinand II and Bellegnili planned on keeping it that way.

To: the Franco-Burgundian Confederation
CC: Russia

Spain, on close examination, has noted that through our defensive pact with the Confederation and the Entente Alliance, Spain is allied with Russia by proxy. However, we cannot in good conscience find ourselves indadvertedly supporting the Butchers of Prussia in a war, or would be forced to renege our alliance in the event of a war and betray our word.

As such, we are forced to regrettably terminate our defensive pact with the Confederation. We apologise and hope we can maintain a good working relationship in future, but we cannot allow ourselves to be in a situation where we are supporting the Butchers of Prussia.

The United Kingdom applauds the Spanish for their goodness and foresight.

It is a cold day in late March. The streets of Stockholm, known to the citizens of the Workers Commonwealth as "The Revolutionary City", the world as the capital of a great nation held in thrall by a dictatorial cabal of proletarist radicals, are packed. The Fatherland Proletarian Army marches through the streets, with First Proletarian Mannerheim at its head, atop his horse. Jubilant proletarians cry out their salutations to the advancing column of soldiers. Bayonets glisten in the winter sun, and the blue and gold "Flag of the Workers" flies proudly from the roof of every building along the route of the great parade. The streets of the city are plastered in posters, the product of the "Printers Labor Union of the Workers", only too glad to contribute however possible to the Revolution of the Proletariat. The posters, generally depicting clenched fists against the background of a stark red sky, proclaim their support for the Revolution with phrases like "We the Workers ceaselessly strive to keep our glorious Revolution alive!" and "The freedom of the Scandinavian nation shall never perish from this earth!"

I, one of a paltry few of foreign journalists permitted to view the spectacle, dart through the crowd asking those who are not too swept up in the glory of the hour to speak, various questions about the Revolution of the Proletariat. Unanimously, they proclaim their admiration for First Proletarian Mannerheim. Is it not poetic justice, they ask, that a son of the military aristocracy would lead the effort to free the workers? All look forward to the glorious future of proletarian, proletarist triumph, wherein they feel certain that the workers of the world will unite. One man, through tears, told me the story of how he had been a member of one of Scandinavia's first few proletarist parties in the "dark days" of the Golden Nineties. No one in the crowd does anything but speak in overjoyed tones about the glorious future ahead for the proletariat, not only in Scandinavia, but across the world. I notice one of the many posters along the path of the parade bears the First Proletarian's likeness. Across the boulevard, I can make out Mannerheim asking us all to contemplate the suffering and struggle by which the workers have achieved liberation, and the suffering and struggle of future generations ensuring the liberation of all workers across the world.

I ask one man if he does not feel the Revolution is backed up, almost as much by the will of the workers, by the will of the league of military officers and figures that have assumed leadership of the provisional government, the "Revolutionary Council". His response is uniform, "Scandinavia has always had faith in its military. Even before the Revolution, even the haughtiest of the aristocrats recognized the honor and privilege of military service. It is right that the army should come to the aid of the Revolution." Indeed it is. Colleague Mannerheim himself (it is now a fashion for all persons in any position of authority to be referred to as "Colleague" in referral speech) was one of many sons of the aristocracy that took refuge in the military during the era of modernization and reformation that was supposed to end the oppressive aristocracy that so many proletarians claim was the singular woe of the Scandinavian proletariat. The Revolution's foremost thinkers, men like the playwright-turned-pamphleteer Henrik Ibsen, speak of the nobility of the army and the evil of the aristocracy. It is odd that the Revolution does not denounce the plutocracy except as an arm of the industrial complex that oppressed the proletariat, but so much ideological lip service is paid here in Stockholm even among the most staunch of Revolutionary ideologues to the "liberty, egalitarianism, fraternity" of the past century's liberal thinkers. It would not be unfair to say that the Revolution is those traits expressed in the form of pure ideological deism, a worship of the ideals presented by the parliamentarians of the 1840's. Based off his own writings, First Proletarian Mannerheim would not disagree.

The Roman salute of the previous era, made popular by imperial-minded colonialists and proud citizens watching the Litenfingret armies go off to war, has been abandoned in favor of the understated hand-to-cap practiced in the English-speaking nations, but in more prolific appearance, a fist to the breast or even a clenched fist thrust into the air, as popularized in so many of the propaganda posters that litter the city. Mannerheim is more traditionally-minded, and as he passes the citizens, he gives them the old salute. They don't seem to mind, he is a military man after all.

Moving through the crowd, I finally manage to position myself at its front, and have an intriguing conversation with one of the military guards. After exchanging pleasantries, he mentions he has family in Africa. I ask him what he thinks of the current separation. Like so many of the citizens of the Workers Commonwealth, like their leaders, he expresses dismay that the Kongo Society cannot seem to come to a compromise with the proletarist leadership of the Commonwealth. The proletarists, perhaps out of that lip service paid to their liberal forebears, perhaps out of simple latent patriotism, seem reluctant to let go of the idea that proletarism can be reconciled with the empire. They speak of bringing proletarism to Africa, setting not only the white settlers free, but the native population. The soldier tells me about his brother, apparently some kind of "Proletarian Architect" who is involved in the social and psychological aspect of the Revolution (insofar as the Revolutionary Council apparently believes the Revolution is an evolutionary shift in human history, and that a new generation of psychologists and doctors must rise to the challenge of conditioning all mankind to its new lifestyle), who already has dreams of the agricultural collectivization and "proletarization" of Somaliland and Abyssinia's native farmers. Everywhere I see nothing to disavow me of First Proletarian Mannerheim's assertion that "... this is a revolution of intellectuals and philosophers..." If anything, those who wish to speak ill of the Revolution of the Proletariat (sometimes the Revolution of the Workers, or even the Great Patriotic Proletarian Struggle of the Scandinavian Worker for Equality) might say that it is a revolution entirely devoid of practicality, an exercise in political thought and theory.

When I ask this young soldier from Stockholm if he has any fears for the future, his only words are "We are a blessed generation, living in the first truly free human society. We are accorded the great task of bringing this freedom to all men. The Lord is our shepherd, and we shall not want."

To: Spain

How exactly was Kurdistan's annexation of Turkey illegal? It has been accepted by the international community, and now even the government in Athens recognizes western Turkey as Pontic land. Any attack by Spain will do nothing but destabilize a region that is not in the best of situations to begin with.
If anything, we are doing Spain a favor by taking the land from the country who "illegally" annexed it. If you had wanted to do anything you could have done it when Kurdistan owned the land. We are not backing out of our rightfully gained territory.

The Athens government has signed a ceasefire with the Turks. Even they recognise Turkey as an independent state.

Your purchase of illegally gained land does not make it yours. Once again, pull out of and sign peace with the Turks or we will be forced to take action that may be detrimental to your existence.

The Athens government has signed a ceasefire with the Turks. Even they recognise Turkey as an independent state.

Your purchase of illegally gained land does not make it yours. Once again, pull out of and sign peace with the Turks or we will be forced to take action that may be detrimental to your existence.

What the "Athens government" recognises as an independent state rarely has any actual link to reality. Avoid clinging to them as an arbiter of legitimacy.

“Mommy, will we be alright?” little Ole asked his mother. His fingers were cold, as the Hungarian winter was at its worst. They had not eaten a proper meal in 3 days, surviving on roar fish. Ole had brown hair and green eyes. A rare combination in Hungary, with the common being black hair and brown eyes. He was skinny, and his lack of proper food was showing. He looked at his mother, into her eyes. Deep into her eyes, and Ole saw a bit of regret. Even though he was only 10, he was remarkably mature for his age. In his mother’s eyes, he saw regret, regret for having a child so great and peace filled in such heart breaking times. A tear fell from his eye, and he hugged his mother.

“Don’t worry Ole, we will be alright. Everything will go fine. This war won’t start, and we will live as a happy family.” His mother started crying. She wept, and started to beg God for forgiveness. They were in a run-down shed, and the snow covered the roof. She wore basic clothing, stuff that might be considered clothing for a maid. They sat there, hugging each other, crying. Some of the Rohamosztagos, the rebellions of the Hungarian king, were patrolling the area. They walked with pride, with their rifles ready in their gloved hands.

“There, two people. Should we confront them?” one of the soldiers asked. “Yes, they could help our cause.” The soldiers rushed towards them. They looked at the mother and son. “Finally help has arrived. Please take us!” the mother screamed. The two men started talking. They argued a bit, then looked at the two on the floor. The one nodded. “Do it Ron, now.” The one soldier took the boy, roughly. “Welcome to the resistance little one!” The other soldier, named Craigo, took out his pistol. “Don’t worry mother, we will take care of him” he smiled. He cocked his pistol and aimed at the mother. He aimed at her, and saw her grief. She started to cry, and started praying. “God won’t save you now mad’am. This is a new time in Hungary.” The mother looked at the soldier. “Mama! Mama!” Ole shouted. “God will punish you rebels. You won’t last long. You are…” The gunshot stopped her from talking. A 9mm bullet straight through her head. Blood dripped down her head. “It has been done. This boy will make a good soldier.” The men walked away. “Mama! Please let me go! Now!” The men looked at Ole. “No, you are a soldier. The king killed your mother. You must avenge her!” The three walked away, and a convoy arrived.

What the "Athens government" recognises as an independent state rarely has any actual link to reality. Avoid clinging to them as an arbiter of legitimacy.

To: Bulgaria

The "Athens government" has recognised and made peace with you as well. By that logic, perhaps your independence has little link to reality as well?

OOC: So I was a little inspired a while ago when I was reading about the Czechoslovak Legion during WW1;

The following is an excerpt from The Great War and Beyond, a premier textbook of Spanish history for High-school students. The following text appears in a sidebar of the textbook, titled: The Turkish Brigade

There were more soldiers than just the Spanish fighting on the Spanish front lines during the Great War. One of the most interesting stories of such soldiers is that of the Turkish Brigade. Mustafa Ataturk was a young officer who, fleeing the destruction of Turkey at the hands of the Kurds during the early days of the Great War, ended up in Alexandria alongside several thousand other young Turkish men seeking asylum. The cunning governor of Spanish Egypt, one Dámaso Berenguer, saw an opportunity to use the Turks to Spanish ends and enlisted them into the First Turkish Brigade, for use against the Arabians. Ataturk and the Turks willingly complied, and served in the Sinai campaigns and the Battle of the Suez against the Arabs in the hope of finally winning and liberating their homeland from the Kurds. However, when Spain signed its surrender, Kemal and the Legion found themselves stranded in the Spanish Army in Egypt without any hope of going home, as their homeland was still under Kurdish domination.

The Turkish Brigade was then caught up in the fighting against the Egyptians during the Egyptian Revolt in 1909, as they elected to fight for the Spanish until they could return home, and took part in the Siege of Cairo. However, as they besieged the city, they heard of the cessation of Turkey to the Chaldians and the subsequent Turkish revolt. Ataturk demanded that Berenguer allow them to go home, but the Governor refused, as he felt that he needed them there to fight against the Egyptians. After an impasse in negotiations, Berenguer threatened to open fire on the Brigade if they tried to leave. As a result Ataturk, instead, switched sides and with Egyptian support, helped secure Cairo for the rebels and fought his way to Alexandra, where the Turkish Brigade hijacked a cruise liner and sailed it to Turkey, where he led his force directly into the fray against the Chaldeans.

On the conclusion of the war, Ataturk wrote a book about his experiences in the Great War and afterwards, calling the 'A Turkish Odyssey', which remained a best seller and is part of the Turkish national canon. Ataturk always had a soft spot for Egypt in his heart - he was said to have cried when he heard that the Egyptians were defeated and that Spain had regained full control of the country. He was still somewhat anti-Spanish, even after Spain guaranteed his homeland's independence.

Ataturk in the trenches during the Battle of Suez

To: Spain

What Bulgaria said.
By the "Athens government" we mean the government that we recognize as independent but neither Bulgaria or Pontus recognizes as the Roman Empire. Bulgaria's independence has not been challenged by any country, save you.
What difference does it make to Spain whether or not Turkey is independent? Had you wanted to do something you could have done so during the Great War. This "Turkey" is little more than a rebellion anyway - it has no legitimacy, and is not recognized by any international country - Turkey was annexed by Kurdistan in 1906, and no longer exists.
And the Republic asks another question: what gives Spain the right to meddle in affairs in which it has no business in?
If you constantly attempt to meddle in Anatolian affairs, you, Spain, are little better than the imperialistic and barbaric excuse for a nation that this world calls "Russia."

To: The Pontic Republic

We were not challenging Bulgaria's independence. We were merely pointing out that if the Roman Empire was unable to recognise a nation's independence, their own independence was questionable. Thus, if they truly believe that they are independent, then Turkey must be as well.

We tried to do something during the Great War. That was why we were fighting it. The fact that we did not succeed is immaterial. Might does not make right, something you would do well to learn.

We would also like to note that at no point, ever, has Pontus or Chaldea ever been independent. You are a mere rebellion that has been only been recognised by the Kurds. No state has ever treated you as one. Turkey is a formerly independent state that was annexed and is now regaining independence. They have far more right to nationhood than you do.

What right do we have? Only the right of freethinking, independent, noble nations seeking justice for a legitimate government. What right did you have to purchase Turkey? Are you an independent state? No. You are a rebellion from Rome. You have no business trying to take jurisdiction of an area that has more right to independence than you do.

From EQ:This is the 48 hour warning

Upon the end of the Great War, the League of Continental Nations gave hope that diplomacy in Europe would be handled soley by politicians, not by great armies. It gave hope, that peace in Europe, thanks to continent-wide cooperation would reign supreme, regardless of whatever trivial disputes that may occur between member states. Yet, with the Russian exterminiation of upwards of 40,000 innocent lives in the previously Polish region of Russia, to destroy a minor rebellion proved to us that no all nations have the civility to be involved in such a noble endeavor.

The League's charter specifically states that such actions by member states are to not only be forbidden, but outright condemned by the member states. Austria proposed a motion expelling the neo-Mongolian horde from the league, and at first was met with approval from nations across western and southern Europe. Yet nations tied to Russia, through one mean or another have not only hesitated in ejecting Russia from the league, but have outright argued the benefits of leaving the rogue nation fully instated. Their reasons were purely political, and did not have the interests of the common man, the very thing the league was founded on, in mind. The League, as it turns out, is nothing but a stumbling bureacracy, and what should have been a resounding, unifying vote, to get rid of the Russians from the grouping, turned out to be nothing but a tiring debate, with no real action being taken, and no real results being found. Despite noble efforts on behalf of some nations, it is clear to us that the League is nothing but a toothless watchdog, who is vigilantly keeping the United Kingdom of Great Britain ostracized from European affairs, and allowing for the monstrosity that is the Russian Empire to grow unheeded. Nothing will ever be done in the League, so long as the very nations that helped found the League ignore core tenants, and allow for their own interests to get in the way of the interests of everyone collectively.

It is after a large amount of deliberation that the nations of the German Economic League will be leaving the League, and we must encourage other nations that support us to do so as well. Your national interests aren't being correctly represented in the mess that has dared call itself an advocate of European peace, humanitarianism and unity, and we can only hope you'll see that yourselves.

From The Kingdom of Brandenburg, upon behalf of the German Economic League
To the World

It is at this time we are pleased to announce a treaty of mutual defense with the United Kingdom. May peace forever reign between our people

To: Brandenburg, GEL, Austria
CC: The World

We can sign this treaty of mutual defense, to be henceforth called the Buchanan-Friedman Pact, in the spirit of recognizing the positive commitments of the German nation. We hasten to illuminate that the nature of this pact is such that, should the Germans find themselves at the mercy of an aggressive, autocratic power beyond their control, be they league or otherwise, the United Kingdom shall intervene on their behalf to preserve their sovereignty.

We similarly denounce the Franco-Burgundian Confederation and Russia for the butchery in Prussia and the Confederation's inability or unwillingness to keep the bear tied down. As of now, until such a time as the league can prove it does not harbor perpetrators of mass murder, we declare the league to have failed in its stated aims.

Top Bottom