TSG35 After Action Report

1) I press the normal printscreen button and it created a *.tga file - i convert that to jpg using XnView - there are other programs out there, but i use this one.

2)stats are prob fixed - but outcomes vary -> if in one game the Ai has to make a decision about moving on a hill for example - and he has 2 hills nearby he will sometimes choose 1 of them, sometimes the other -> this ofc ramifies itself over more turns and yields diff results. That's how i see it anyway.

3) I wondered about that in the beginning too - if you Win in turn X, save it the same turn, but after you get the Win msg.

-------------------

Also, a question, doesn't the Great Wall get obsolete with artillery?... and since you've gone Tanks upgraded from Mandelaku just so you can attack Monty - why were you scared of the Great Wall, when it's... obsolete. Also...GW doesn't slow down tanks to 1 movement - it just decreases 1 movement if i'm not mistaking.
Thanks for the answers numaru7.

As to the Great Wall question, that is a good point. Initially, when I was thinking of attacking, I had 5 or 6 Mandelaku while Monty had mainly Cannons and Knights (maybe Musketman/Longswords) and his city strength was in the late teens through mid-twenties. So I could take some cities, though it would take some effort. A few turns later, he got Cavalry and some of his city strength was steadily increasing, so at this point I was mainly worried about the Great Wall slowing my units down significantly so that the Cannons would just pick them off.

By the time Artillery (Dynamite) was available, Monty's city strength was high enough that it was useless attacking with the Mandelaku. So though the Great Wall might be obsolete at this point, it was less of a factor then.

I did *not* think much about when the Great Wall would actually become obsolete - thanks for pointing it out. Normally, I either have the Great Wall or the game ends before the Great Wall would become obsolete, so I don't think about it much.

Also, I wasn't quite sure which mechanism causes the obsolescence. In Civ III, a wonder became obsolete as soon as *anyone* researched that tech. But in Civ IV, it only become obsolete when the owner of the wonder researched it (when I played Civ IV, I ended up avoiding a lot of the obsoleting techs, including Calendar, for as long as possible!). In fact, that's another thing I really like about Civ V - none of the wonders (other than Great Wall) become obsolete, nor do any of the buildings (Civ IV monastery).

So any idea whether the Great Wall becomes obsolete when the owner gets Dynamite or when anyone gets Dynamite?

In any case, once I had Dynamite, I had no idea whether Montezuma had Dynamite (he was starting to lag behind in techs without RA's). He did enter the Industrial Age, but I had no idea which tech route he took (one thing I liked about earlier Civs is being able to figure out exactly which techs my opponents had. Civ IV BTS made it even sweeter when you could see what they were researching). His capital was in the 30's for strength, so I thought that Tanks would be better than Mandelaku for taking it.

Very interserting setup, i enjoyed racing against the clock to make sure my Mandekalus were still an effective force when they arrived ont he other continent.
Took too long getting to Astro, but still managed to conquer other landmass with few losses.

Took out Wu early whith 3 or 4 warriors and GG when she was fighting Oda. Marched everyone back, upgraded to SM and sailed across narrow sea to Kyoto. Lots of units there and not much room, so paid Oda to DoW USA. Waited a bit for them to make their way there and took Kyoto. Met his forces now diverting north through the narrow isthmus, killed few and he suead for peace. Healed up and moved with 4 SM and horse and GG against Sully. Lost two SM to his counterattacks but managed to burn Istnabul.

Meanwhile discovered Astro around T127, and while reasearching pre-chivalry techs, kept making Horsies and chariots to upgrade, while my army was coming back home to upgrade, sent a horse and GG to discover other continent. Used GS to get Chivalry and sailed 4 MCav. Found Genghis took strong, with lots of pikes. Monty had GW, so I signed OB with everyone and waited till his peace with Genghis has expired so i could bribe hime to atack again. Waited few more turns for their pikes to wipe each other out then moved in to burn Karakorum. Moved army across to burn Rome then back acrross Monty lands to asemble offshore to east of his cap and then invaded. Lost 2 out of 7 Mcavs. Meantime my LSM army marched south and took Washington, then sailed towards Monty in case my attack got bogged down, they did not get there in time.

i think better tech managemnt and sigining a few RAs would have helped me to get Astro faster as it was the limiting factor. Burned GL on Philosophy, could have gotten CS with it i think, i did use Oxford for Astro. i prolly could have bulbed Education with GS. cant see shaving more then 30 turns off inbest case.

t162

went liberty for the great scientist to bulb chivalry, used gl for philosophy

first army took care of the continent (123), oda helped by conquering china, bulbed second gs for astronomy

t305 - I am not really a domination player, and not obviously also not an OCC domination player :D

first wasnt sure how to start off. built a couple of military units and saw that the Chinese didnt really have any units. Decided to attack and took their cap. Then went on to Japan. Thought about splitting my army, first didnt, and when I did the part that went for Istanbul was too weak.

Good: constant cash-inflow due to city capturing, that helped a lot. Finally took the continent, at that time could build cannons and went east for the other continent. Still had my UAs along with rifles, cavalrys, cannons and later artillerys razing everything, including a 63-strength Monte city.

Would I have waited any longer, it would have become very difficult because Cesar and Monte were strong in research.

Definitely a fun game:goodjob:

Game: Civ5 GOTM 35
Date submitted: 2012-05-19
Reference number: 26285
Your name: subber
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1870AD
Turns played: 305
Base score: 629
Final score: 1031
Time played: 7:50:00
Submitted save: Askiya_0305 - 1870 n. Chr..Civ5Save
Renamed file: subber_C503501.Civ5Save

Your name: sebtanic
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1670AD
Turns played: 244
Base score: 430
Final score: 895
Time played: 7:59:00

All in all I enjoyed this game very much, even though I think if I hadn't messed up my first invasion of the Aztecs, I might have won about 30 turns sooner.

Great setup, I found out that I love OCC because it allows me to focus a lot more. Also I thinking that domination is my favourite victory style, as I tend to find the late game somewhat tedious. I must say this was one of the most enjoyable TSGs I played so far!! :)

Summary:
Spoiler :
BEIJING t99
WASHINGTON t116
KYOTO t151
Astronomy t158
ISTANBUL t173
ROME t202
TENOCHTITLAN t232
KARAKORUM t244

My strategy (or lack thereof) in detail:
Spoiler :
Settled 1 NW for some wheat and cows, and built 2 scouts quick to find my neighbours asap.

Went for writing/library first, then math/Hanging Gardens for abundant food in the capital, as the starting location didn't have that much. Next went for Iron Working, planning to build 4 swordsmen to take out the inland capitals on our continent, Beijing and Washington.

BEIJING fell t99 to my band of swords, WASHINGTON was next in t116 but lost 2 swords against the Americans.

Meanwhile teched towards Optics, then Chivalry for the UU, 4 of which were sent together with a swordsman and a GG to invade Japan from the sea. KYOTO fell in t151. Then went by sea and land to ISTANBUL which I razed in t173.

From there my victorious army sailed eastwards to take Rome, while another newly built one of about the same size went west to attack Montezuma first as his capital lay near the coast. Unfortunately my scout had long left Aztec lands when the army arrived, so we were quite surprised to find that Monty's meanwhile had a considerable army near his capital, which all but wiped out my invading forces (only two units were able to escape). NOTE TO SELF: Always check your victim's military size before attacking!!

After this really unnecessary mistake I took a long break from the game, then came back a couple days later. Decided to beeline rifling and send a new army of riflemen and some cannons westward to join forces with the Cavs that were still underway to Rome. Those did their job well albeit with some casualties, ROME was destroyed t202.

Sent the remaining Cavs east to meet the newly built riflemen and finally destroy TENOCHTITLAN, which we achieved in t232 despite some stiff resistance.

From there it was a cakewalk to take out KARAKORUM in t244, which was still defending with Keshiks.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 35
Date submitted: 2012-05-28
Reference number: 26341
Your name: Foamfollower
Game status: Incomplete Retired
Game date: 1824AD
Turns played: 282
Base score: 471
Final score: 471
Time played: NA
Submitted save: Askia_0282 AD-1824.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Foamfollower_C503501.Civ5Save

first game in about 2 months :)
waited for the Mandelaku Cavalry before attacking, enough to take my own continent, but by the time I arrived on the other continent with an army of rifleman and cannons I was outnumbered by Caesar and he also had some artillery. I was able to open a path to Rome but had not enough army left to attack. waited for reinforcements, but when I attacked again my army was slaughtered. Time to retire....
I should have been more aggressive earlier on, thus having the advantage of the Mandelaku Cavs against the other continent. As was shown by several other people.

Top Bottom