The DYOS Consul (DYOS X: 2007-2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, it always happens. It starts off good, but then it degrades as I advance... I just don't know why it happens.
I think the problem lies in how you tell the story. Marshall McLuhan was a brilliant man, but for our intents and purposes, the medium should not be the message. I think that you start to rely too heavily on the screenshots to tell the story, and it ends up looking like a Tom Clancy novel.

I think DYOS has lost allot of value not because it has no storyline, but because the joke value has decreased. I think we should really focus on making jokes rather than writing a novel.

Crazy idea, huh?
That's where the enjoyment lies: early DYOS 5 was great because it was funny; not everyone had a story to tell, but we didn't mind because we were entertained. At around Page 20, the story turned too serious and militaristic, and the whole thing degenerated into a power play. I think the failure with recent DYOSes has been that posters place the story first, and humour second. It's this that we need to avoid.

A problem with all collaborative stories is that authors are more interested in introducing their own characters/plot elements etc. and using them, than in using other people's creations.

I think the problem lies in how you tell the story. Marshall McLuhan was a brilliant man, but for our intents and purposes, the medium should not be the message. I think that you start to rely too heavily on the screenshots to tell the story, and it ends up looking like a Tom Clancy novel.

That's where the enjoyment lies: early DYOS 5 was great because it was funny; not everyone had a story to tell, but we didn't mind because we were entertained. At around Page 20, the story turned too serious and militaristic, and the whole thing degenerated into a power play. I think the failure with recent DYOSes has been that posters place the story first, and humour second. It's this that we need to avoid.

This I agree with more than totally. (especially the bolded part)

Teh Judge said:
A problem with all collaborative stories is that authors are more interested in introducing their own characters/plot elements etc. and using them, than in using other people's creations.

While this may be true it doesn't effect the humour in (say) DYOS 1 or early DYOS 5.

Can't the next DYOS be based on this post, or other posts like that?

You know, there are several in that post not playing that game, and I do NOT want that! :p

@Swedishguy: You know, no one but you knows what the hell a Babale is.

My point is that I'm not in NOTW 11, so why the hell am I a suspect?

Oh man, guys, I got grounded just as I came with a funny comic idea. (I'm typing this while my mom's outta the room. ;))

I'm sticking with humour and advancing the story while doing so .Such as with the Mobile Oppression Palace being at the spaceport, and Kwai's good news. There's plot advancement (in a slow way) plus humour

Um...can we cancel swedishguys last two comics? They kinda wrecked my plot.

(Oh, and I'll be gone a week)

I wish there would be a comic posted today... it feels empty no one wants to post. I mean, we're all trying our best and all but, can we get some activity?

I'm juggling too many things as it is! ;)

I'm hoping to get a new cartoon in this weekend. Sorry everyone, but I don't think I'll achieve three-in-a-row. I REALLY want to get out of Iraq; the sooner, the better.

Still nothing in 2 days...

Can we get some activity over here. I mean this consul was created for DYOS and if there's no DYOS going on, then what's the use of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom