Memory Allocation Failures

Well, MAFs are more or less a 100% guarantee upon reloading of any mid-late game Wild Mana save for me. I sometimes get them (along with other crashes) during the game as well. The save file I uploaded here is that of a game I was playing immediately before a crash. The crash/error happen with certainty the following turn.

Attachments

• QuickSave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    860 KB · Views: 84
1. I think it does help with Vista, judging from the majority of comments in similar threads.
2. No, it does not. That's why I decided not to go through with it. I would have to use the "/3GB /Userva=xxxx", xxxx -> value depending on your RAM, which has been reported to cause more trouble than its worth with RAM below 3GB (like video card memory not being allocated, shutdowns, etc).

No, you are not right. The /3GB switch IS the solution for the MAF problem on WinXP. With this switch you allow programms to use up to 3GB physical AND virtual memory instead of 2GB. On the other side you restrict the system memory to 1GB. This will cause weird results on most systems, especialy with graphic operations. To avoid this you use the /Userva switch with values between 3072 and 2048. 2800 worked for me, but this differs with each system.

Before doing this change i allways get MAFs every 2-3 turn, and now i never get them anymore :)

I use XP Prof with 2GB RAM.

well, changing the boot.ini line "fastdetect /maxmem=2048" to 3072 (Vehem's method no1) had'nt had any impact on my MAFs. They happened in mid-late games just as before (besides on XP Med Edition, with also 2GB physical). Perhaps different handlings for different XP versions? So that I simply also reversed this setting to the real phys. capacities.

@tuvok99: how do you put it to precisely 2800? Just try and error?

Hello,

Using latest 7.56 patch, the MAF issues are still very much prevalent mid to late game. Like others, with Huge Erebus Continent/any civs, this starts becoming a problem when my saves get to around 600KB in size. The causes vary: from opening any of the Advisors (I already disabled City Art in BUG) , when someone attempts to talk to me via Diplomacy, or trying to load a game in-game (always crashes at Initializing Graphics).

I am quite optimistic that there will be a lot less MAFs. I have packed the art files for the flavor screen in a separate file, so if someone still has MAF problems it's possible to completly remove them by deleting one file.

well, changing the boot.ini line "fastdetect /maxmem=2048" to 3072 (Vehem's method no1) had'nt had any impact on my MAFs. They happened in mid-late games just as before (besides on XP Med Edition, with also 2GB physical). Perhaps different handlings for different XP versions? So that I simply also reversed this setting to the real phys. capacities.

@tuvok99: how do you put it to precisely 2800? Just try and error?

yes

î first tried it without the /userva and get a bsod in civ4. after that i tried it with 2800, which i read in a post and it worked fine. you dont have to figure it out exactly, because civ4 only needs a small amount over the 2gb border.

Installed the mod a couple days ago, so I believe I have the latest patch. Getting constant MAF errors. 100% errors on loading games after the first load upon opening Civ. Random other MAF errors during turns at many points. Also seem to be getting a lot when I try to save my game.

Installed the mod a couple days ago, so I believe I have the latest patch. Getting constant MAF errors. 100% errors on loading games after the first load upon opening Civ. Random other MAF errors during turns at many points.

Aimlessgun,

read this thread throroughly and also the begining post on Wildmana 7.0 Download, where there is a link to help with MAFs.

However as I posted just a bit ago on Wildmana 7.0 Download, using medium settings (ingame option), and a clean download and latest patch, all my MAFs are eliminated now. So if after going thru all the threads, and posts, and your consequent adjustments. I would delete and start fresh, but also update all your videocard drivers, and adjust your memory settings as well.

Well, on the subject of clean install + updated drivers, I updated my drivers pretty recently and just put in WM a couple days ago so everything is pretty fresh. Plus I use low graphics settings (my computer is decent, runs Modern Warfare 2 perfectly if that says anything).

Thanks for the pointer to the fix, but for some reason it's not working for me (assuming you're talking about the bootcfg thing http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7726003&postcount=22). Basically I get the error "bootcfg is not recognized as an internal or external command," when I put it in the command prompt, and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable using method 2 (don't even know where to find boot.ini). I'm using XP home service pack 3.

EDIT: Apparently the missing boocfg thing is not just me. Anyways gonna try method 2, found the boot.ini heh.

Well that seems to have worked somewhat. Still crashes on loading games but that's not a big deal. Have had a couple instances of the game simply closing suddenly, with no error message at all.

Well that seems to have worked somewhat. Still crashes on loading games but that's not a big deal. Have had a couple instances of the game simply closing suddenly, with no error message at all.

I suspect that it may be something in your software/hardware at this point. What Im not sure I could help you with. but its most likely either in your video card or your memory setups.

my desktop is over two years old now, and i have a geforce 8400gs videocard, and 2 gigs of memory and I havent had a MAF in a week now. hopefully someone else can help you pinpoint whats going on.

I am quite optimistic that there will be a lot less MAFs. I have packed the art files for the flavor screen in a separate file, so if someone still has MAF problems it's possible to completly remove them by deleting one file.

Where might this file be? Want to see killing it will clear up my issues.

assets\flavor.fpk (better make a backup of it first)

EDIT: Blech didn't fix it.

Geforce 8600 GT, 2.21ghz processor, 2GB physical RAM. Applied boot.ini fix and after looking at the BTS exe with that explorer program as suggested it's already set to use >2GB memory.

Any other ideas I might try?

I'll just add that the MAF's have been way worse since the last version I played, which was 7.4 I think. I think it actually has to do with something on the map, because I used to be able to regenerate a large map as many times as I wanted in world builder, but now, I am lucky if I can regenerate a standard map once.

does the maf probability change between the map types you use?

does the maf probability change between the map types you use?

there was a theory out there that the map size was an equation. but once Sephi got into it deeper, it was more about the way graphic files were being processed, i believe.
whatever he did to change that worked, I have had NO MAFs since v 8.10 other then an occasional ingame reload which usually involves larger save files. (having one in memory, then loading a second without clearing out the memory cache first)

Top Bottom