Endless Hang on End Turn

Revenancer

Chieftain
Hi, I've really been enjoying this mod. After playing FFH for a while it is a nice change of pace. However, I have one problem that's really killing it for me. After a certain number of turns in every game I play it comes to a point where the game endlessly hangs on waiting for opponents after ending my turn.

Is there a workaround to this problem? It happens every time, though I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to the occurence.

@Revenancer

To be more specific:

It's a known bug to several mods of Civ4 (I think it was or even is still happening in BTS) - actually IIRC the AI tries to move one unit and messes up big time resulting in an endless loop. That's what you experience. Once happened you can do two different things:

1) Reload one of your auto-saves from earlier and redo your turns in a different way. Hopefully the AI reacts differently, thus keeping the game going. Though this method is highly unreliable and you're not safe for future bugs.

2) Open the World Builder. Kill any one Civ -exit World Builder. If the messed up Civ is killed, you can proceed. Don't like this method, too.

In other words: Install 8.34 like Sephi suggested and hope it never happens again.

It's a known bug to several mods of Civ4 (I think it was or even is still happening in BTS) - actually IIRC the AI tries to move one unit and messes up big time resulting in an endless loop. That's what you experience. Once happened you can do two different things:

I never had this problem with BTS, only FF2 modmods (unless I reach AC 100 even with patch "o"). It is VERY annoying, and ruins my attempts at finishing games :sad:

1) Reload one of your auto-saves from earlier and redo your turns in a different way. Hopefully the AI reacts differently, thus keeping the game going. Though this method is highly unreliable and you're not safe for future bugs.

This has worked for me in the past, but doesn't preclude it from happening again (but might). This didn't work in regular FF2 post AC 100.

2) Open the World Builder. Kill any one Civ -exit World Builder. If the messed up Civ is killed, you can proceed. Don't like this method, too.

I read somewhere that this can be very time-consuming. Plus, destroying an entire civilization kind of ruins the game for me.

In other words: Install 8.34 like Sephi suggested and hope it never happens again.

I always have the latest patch installed.

I do not why, but I NEVER had this problem in ANY civ game. Not in vanilla, not in FfH, not even in RiFE...
Maybe I'm just lucky.
On the other hand, I had my share of CtD's

Jarrema, it is just happenstance that it hasn't happened to you. Could be the Civs you play or some other pet setting/style makes it more unlikely that you'll see one, but given enough tries that specific trigger(s) could happen and you'll be left wondering if you need a new computer or you've hit a Waiting on Civ (WoC).

Personally, I've had none in the current 8.34 but I wouldn't accept that all the WoC bugs have been squashed. Certainly Sephi's recommendation is the best first response, that is, make sure you have the latest revision because many WoC have been reported and fixed with his latest rev.

To find your suspected WoC, first reload/restart CIV to make sure it is repeatable. To fix you should do what AngelGabriel said to do, manually start elliminating down to the cause. You do it step by step, checking between each step to see if the problem has gone away. To start, each step shoule be big, like remove an entire Civilization(s). If removing a Civ works then bore down into that Civ. You could start by seeing what they've done in that turn that may have triggered the WoC. Or, you could look for and remove Hidden Nationality units in that Civ (usual suspects). Continue this methodical whittling down to a prime suspect who's removal allows you to continue the game with the least amount of impact.
Of course, if the event/unit is one that Civ is interested in they may trigger another WoC when it is repeated again, and again, again but who knows... maybe not.

Check out all of Breunor's posts in the Civ4 - Fall from Heaven thread. He's a master at this sleuthing.

Please, always report these events along with a game save in the Bug thread. If you can post your investigation results as well, all the better.

Good luck

Top Bottom