Suggestion for Global Yields, especially culture.

tesb

Emperor
In most of my games i made the experience that i always have at least one or two global yields (leather, metals, stone, herbs, lumber) that i never use, because i never get such a diversity of troops and improvements. I also think that we have too many global yields at the moment (the upper left panel feels a bit crowded).
Secondly i think that if global culture is here to stay it has to be greatly expanded upon and i also think that the epic destinies could use a revisit, because some of them are just build x units or cast y spells, i.e. nothing really noteworthy or epic.

I therefore propose:

1.)
Introduce a new global yield called Glory (or rename empire culture to Glory).
How to you get Glory:
you can get glory by:
  • Exploring Lairs (small chance, dependent on the level of the lair)
  • Defeating enemy troops (small chance)
  • Win a combat with low combat odds
  • Defeat heroes, world units, mana guardians, enemy civilizations
  • By performing civilization specific tasks. These would be similar to the former epic destiny win conditions, for example if you play with the baleseraph you can gain glory whenever you steal a promotion with your mimics or mutate a unit. Or if you play with the sheaim you can get glory per turn dependent on the armageddon counter, if you play as the svartalfar you get a lot of glory by defeating the ljosalfar or stealing great persons or killing enemy units without declaring war and so on.

What can you do with Glory:
  • buy hero promotions (i.e. you can't just promote any high level unit to a hero, you need to spend Glory. The same is true for hero classes)
  • some truly devastating spells can cost Glory in addition to mana (or you can make high end spells more devastating by using Glory)
  • some of the most advanced buildings need Glory
  • tier 4 units, or their technologies use Glory. you can't just sit back and research beast masters for example.
  • city modifiers can be increased with spending glory (for example more gold income, or more improvement slots, ...)
  • if the epic destiny win condition is enabled you win, if you have a certain amount of glory accumulated (dependent on map size)
  • perhaps buy great persons (i don't know the details of the new system yet)

These suggestions would aim to make the epic destinies more gradual and rewarding (i.e. you no longer gain a bonus after building 200 units of a certain kind, but for every unit build you may get Glory which you can immediately spend) and would greatly expand the usage of the former empire culture. the name change alone would also make a bigger distinction between city culture and culture as a global yield.

2)
Merge some of current existing global yields, so we remain with:
  • Building Materials: used to speed up buildings. gained with quarries (a lot) and lumber mills (few)
  • Armament Materials: used for weapons and armor. gained with mines (a lot), lumber mills (few), camps (few)
  • Elixir Materials: used for potions and poisons (and perhaps equipment for arcane units in the future). gained with camps (few) and plantations (more)

to accommodate these changes, buildings that boost global yields should only boost the income of their respective improvements, i.e. a mining guild only increases Armament Material income for mines and not for other improvements and so on.

This would keep the global yield system a bit more tight and you don't end up with global yields that you most likely never use.

I like it! :goodjob:

very good ideas Tesb

I agree that empire culture rename into glory is more fitting. and, as tesb has said, culture might be one of the elements of glory, and we can add more as its element! :)

On the other yields, I think they are okay atm. Their function is very specific : leather -> recon, metal -> melee+disciple, lumber -> archer+recon, herbs -> potions, stone -> rush buildings. I use whichever appropriate for my civ : lots of leather when playing Svartalfar, lots of metal when playing Bannor, etc.

One thing I'd like to see are several resources found by Lumbermills. Some kind of wood would be nice, also maybe some fruits :)

I am not a fan of this at all. But anyway

Suggestions that are like "change the whole game for a minor benefit" aren't helping. Just try to figure out how many hours it would take to implement this (coding, graphics,AI,balance). And then ask yourself if you would be willing to invest so much time for this imagining you had that free time.

i can't speak for the ai and the coding required for the buildings that increase global yield, but the second suggestions should be rather quick to implement (just rename a few global yields, give them new icons and tweak the income from the improvements).

anyways i just found it interesting to merge the epic destinies with the empire culture, but you are certainly right, there much more important tasks ahead.

I definitely wouldn't mind cutting back the number of different types of global yields. That would also help city specialization a little bit, since it appears that gaining a level of specialization boosts the cost of all other levels slightly. Reducing the number of material types will not only help focus that, but make it easier to avoid 'wasting' specialization by, for example, collecting metal, stone, and gold, because of the resources near the city and your chosen district.

I'd also like to see the yield counter window adjusted slightly, because the vault description when playing Khazad overlaps the unitcount and unitlimit. Maybe the vault descriptions can be reduced to a single character identifier instead of full words. Something like (0) for empty, (-) for low, (|) adequate, (+) stocked, (^) abundant, (*) full, ($) overflowing. Or just move the unit count over to the far right, if that's possible.

I myself have been promoting the idea of "food" being a universal resource for some time now. What a wonderful way to build an artificially high population city (like say Rome or Las Vegas) only to have the imported food sources cutoff and for the famine to begin.

I would also like to see ALL units created thru the population/food resource similar to what was in CIV 3 for settlers (2 population) and workers (1 population). There could be no more realistic base to develop your military from then the realistic, military is produced from population. Remember the old civ happiness/unhappiness system was heavily tied to your civic acceptance of your military ratio to your overall population ratio.

I myself have been promoting the idea of "food" being a universal resource for some time now. What a wonderful way to build an artificially high population city (like say Rome or Las Vegas) only to have the imported food sources cutoff and for the famine to begin.

I would also like to see ALL units created thru the population/food resource similar to what was in CIV 3 for settlers (2 population) and workers (1 population). There could be no more realistic base to develop your military from then the realistic, military is produced from population. Remember the old civ happiness/unhappiness system was heavily tied to your civic acceptance of your military ratio to your overall population ratio.

Ah, this would be soo great for the gameplay! I loved it!!! It would be also nice to link this mechanic to revolting citizens etc.

Top Bottom