[Map script]Creation.py for FFH2

That is what a map crash looks like. Check in your PublicMaps folder for a map script file called random.py. This name conflicts with the random.py that is part of the Python system, so it needs to be renamed. Rename the file, then let me know if that works or not.

This issue comes up from time to time on my maps.

Edit: 'Rocky' is not actually an option for the map script ;)
I see no random.py although a search finds random.pyc in assets/python folder.

Not sure what you mean that rocky isn't an option -- it appears on the list:

I see no random.py although a search finds random.pyc in assets/python folder.

Not sure what you mean that rocky isn't an option -- it appears on the list:

Hmm.. in the vanilla game, those normal map choices should be greyed out.

So, you're still getting map crashes(all grassland) every time? Ok to figure out why the map is crashing do this: In your BtS\CivilizationIV.ini file, set HidePythonExceptions to '0'. That will cause a popup when the script crashes detailing the reason why it crashed. If you use alot of mods it's useful to leave it that way so you can report otherwise unseen bugs to the mod developers.

I closed the game, restarted the computer and edited the ini file. For whatever reason, the game now starts fine. Sea level and climate are properly grayed out, and the map looks to be fine. Go figure.

(Regarding the lack of barbarian cities)

I played another game with Creation and again had a problem with barbarian cities. The settings I used were: Raging Barbarians, Lock Modified, New Seed, Blessing, Living World, No Settlers. On my side of the map, there were three civs, including my own (on a large map). By turn 200 (marathon), there were no barbarian cities.

Perhaps my no settlers setting is what does it? I am trying to make it so that expansion requires taking over barbarian cities. But when I chose barbarian world, it does not always give barbarian cities. *shrugs*.

Perhaps my no settlers setting is what does it? I am trying to make it so that expansion requires taking over barbarian cities. But when I chose barbarian world, it does not always give barbarian cities. *shrugs*.

Ah that must be it. I guess no settlers means no settlers for anyone? I've never played that way. Does it work on other map scripts? (Pre-made maps will likely have barb cities already placed.)

No sattlers does mean that no civ can build settlers, but that should effect the Barbarians; they can never build settlers. They spawn cities in areas with fog of war, the same way they spawn units.

Of course it is possible that this option also causes this spawning to stop. I never play with no settlers unless I have the barbarian world option on too.

barbarian world is supposed to have the barbarians start off with cities upon map generation. i wonder if there is a way to tune this so that it spawns a higher number of cities. i have tested it with the creation.py script and it appears that (in a limited number of trials) the barbarian cities mostly stay on one continent or the other... and a couple times, there were none.

this evening, i'll test this and run a number of maps to see what happens.

Barbarian world ALWAYS spawns all the barbarian cities that it will spawn on a single continent.

My guess is that it might be selecting the small island, and since there is already another player there and it will not spawn too close to a player it winds up not having room for any cities? Could be the case maybe.

Also, it is set to create 1 barbarian city per non-barbarian civ in the game. It is annoying though that they are always on the same continent.

Barbarian world ALWAYS spawns all the barbarian cities that it will spawn on a single continent.

My guess is that it might be selecting the small island, and since there is already another player there and it will not spawn too close to a player it winds up not having room for any cities? Could be the case maybe.

possibly. but i respawned maps 20+ times... ugh. and the barbarian cities were placed all on the same continent - sometimes on the biggest... sometimes all squeezed into a smaller island. When the latter happened, i noticed that there appeared to be plenty of space between non-barbarian civs. in two instances, the large continent only had 3 civs, the smaller one had 4, and the island had all 7 barbarian cities.

possibly. but i respawned maps 20+ times... ugh. and the barbarian cities were placed all on the same continent - sometimes on the biggest... sometimes all squeezed into a smaller island. When the latter happened, i noticed that there appeared to be plenty of space between non-barbarian civs. in two instances, the large continent only had 3 civs, the smaller one had 4, and the island had all 7 barbarian cities.

Try turning that option off. I always find barbarian cities filling all the gaps between civs. It doesn't happen right away, but usually after I settle three or so cities, the rest is taking from barbs.

i ran another game without the 'no settlers' option. in the marathon game with raging barbarians and barbarian world it took until around turn 180 before a barbarian city was founded on the continent where i was located, despite the large amount of open space. this probably is not an issue with the map (though the starting off all on one continent is).

I'll test it next without barbarian world. i wonder if the existence of starting barbarian cities slows down the timeframe of the barbarians spawning new cities.

Starting all on one continent is not unique to the Creation Map. It happens that way on all map types I have tried. Just most of them tend to be large enough of continents that you don't completely notice it.

Yes, having Barb World start them with a few cities does limit appearance of new cities because they have a restriction on how many total cities they are allowed to have based on mapsize, gamespeed and/or number of players.

Yes, having Barb World start them with a few cities does limit appearance of new cities because they have a restriction on how many total cities they are allowed to have based on mapsize, gamespeed and/or number of players.

Hmm, that basically means that the Barbarian world setting is kinda useless. I never use it, and I get tons of barbarian cities on all continents whether I like it or not.

The main thing barbarian world does is make Acheron spawn on turn 14. :)

Also, if you play with Wildlands, there will be basically no barbarians in the world at all unless you use barbarian world.

I tried copying the creation.py into my public maps file. Creation option comes up, but I get all grassland with the occasional forest and lake.

I tried copying the creation.py into my public maps file. Creation option comes up, but I get all grassland with the occasional forest and lake.

That's a map crash, and if it happens every time then first restart FFH, then look in your PublicMaps folder for a script called 'random.py'. If you have that in your PublicMaps folder, then rename it.

Well tried this the first time with Patch K and will probably be the last time unfortunately. While the map is freaking awesome and I love the look and that it started me in a sexy forest as faeryl there are absolutely no incense or reagents anywhere on the map.

So no priests this game I guess.

Either we both started in really unlucky locations and its all over hte place elsewhere or its due to turning on Blessings of Am and not having hte options to do balanced resources in the start settings. Either way that breaks the map for us ;/

-Disregard-- Some incense in the far north west. Probably some regents on the other continent.

Either way I think balanced needs to be added to this mod or something else changed cuz those resources are pretty damn important. My friend is amurites and can't even get archmages lol

Top Bottom