Events & Sundry Items Balance or Bugs Thread

Thanks Tesb and Sephi for helping me knockout the first list, though I am still hesitant to put in heavy lore items, I will put in placeholder text as I can.

This next item may be considered more of an Idea Item, then anything, so if a lot of these come up, I may try to maintain a seperate list.

1. Volcanoes - are very very boring and really have no effect on the game. These IMHO should shake things up a bit and of course on a random scale. At a minimum they should affect the surround tiles in some way, and maybe on a larger scale with that once in thousand years scale.

why not give them burning sands around them for some turns (they then would change into deserts after a while)?

giving Panthers UNITCOMBAT_ANIMAL should fix it :)

:wallbash: :hammer2:
i should have seen this

why not give them burning sands around them for some turns (they then would change into deserts after a while)?

:wallbash: :hammer2:
i should have seen this

tesb, very good idea, now see thats more my style of flavor. now lets backward engineer that into the Malakim model so THAT is where the new sand comes from, instead of some mystical culture expansion. something to the affect that their religious ceremonies create fissures in tje crust and enhances the chance of volcanoes, and the residual affect is the desert expansion.

i thought the sand in the realm of the malakim was caused by a brighter sun?

deserts are created through steady erosion of stone in very arid climates, volcanoes leave ash behind which is a bit different.

active volcano:
http://www.smca.at/presse/images/Vesuv.JPG

dormant volcano:
http://www.nzz.ch/images/teide_1.2605716.1242975735.jpg

desert:
http://www.outdoor-billiger.de/Tanzania komplett/040.jpg

if a volcano breaks out in humid climate the ground will be regrown with plants, for example there are very many tropical islands which are just dormant volcanoes, yet you would not know this.

a volcano in arid climate will leave a quasi desert behind, but a desert is created in arid climates anyhow. you don't need volcanoes for their creation.

i suggested the burnings sands to imitate the lava, and after the lava is cooled down the land should slowly return from a desert to their former land.

tesb, very good idea, now see thats more my style of flavor. now lets backward engineer that into the Malakim model so THAT is where the new sand comes from, instead of some mystical culture expansion. something to the affect that their religious ceremonies create fissures in tje crust and enhances the chance of volcanoes, and the residual affect is the desert expansion.

That would move the Malakim from the realm of the Sun, to Fire. And consequently from Good to Evil, Lugus to Bhall, and destroy their ties to Empyrean. Not a good idea, basically, at least not IMO. :p

It's also not realistic at all. The terrain around volcanoes is (aside from immediately after an eruption, of course) MORE fertile, not less. There is a very good reason people settle near volcanoes even though it is dangerous; Any mechanic that is designed around volcanoes should recognize this. Penaltry AND Bonus. ;)

:deadhorse:
i thought the sand in the realm of the malakim was caused by a brighter sun?

deserts are created through steady erosion of stone in very arid climates, volcanoes leave ash behind which is a bit different.

active volcano:
http://www.smca.at/presse/images/Vesuv.JPG

dormant volcano:
http://www.nzz.ch/images/teide_1.2605716.1242975735.jpg

desert:
http://www.outdoor-billiger.de/Tanzania komplett/040.jpg

if a volcano breaks out in humid climate the ground will be regrown with plants, for example there are very many tropical islands which are just dormant volcanoes, yet you would not know this.

a volcano in arid climate will leave a quasi desert behind, but a desert is created in arid climates anyhow. you don't need volcanoes for their creation.

i suggested the burnings sands to imitate the lava, and after the lava is cooled down the land should slowly return from a desert to their former land.

you just wont let a guy have a moment to "vent" and "bash" will ya.... haha

your points are well taken, my main point was that i dont prefer the way the desert follows the culture in the malakim model by FIAT. Not that it necessarily needs to be a "science" event either, it is a "fantasy" based world after all where magic works.
this is mostly a IMHO item, and I know I am in the minority regarding, but i cant help thinking it can be better then it is. Again its not a major issue, just my preference.

those are good ideas regarding the volcanoes, and that really is the main point of the post, to encourage something to enhance the game with this event.

That would move the Malakim from the realm of the Sun, to Fire. And consequently from Good to Evil, Lugus to Bhall, and destroy their ties to Empyrean. Not a good idea, basically, at least not IMO. :p

It's also not realistic at all. The terrain around volcanoes is (aside from immediately after an eruption, of course) MORE fertile, not less. There is a very good reason people settle near volcanoes even though it is dangerous; Any mechanic that is designed around volcanoes should recognize this. Penaltry AND Bonus. ;)

GUILTY of going weird science to fit my agenda..... haha.....

The things I say to get people talking sometimes....... amazes even myself... haha.

good points also Valkrionn, i really hadnt thought the thought thru, just whirled it on out there..... haha

Graywarden, could you please add a note in the strategy text of Shadows, that are only available for the Cult of Esus followers?

great! Water mana will have a passive effect next patch (reduces damage taken by Storms in Deep Oceans). Maybe you can add it to some help/strategy file? Does Bonus Mana water have a txt help key? that probably would be the best place.

great! Water mana will have a passive effect next patch (reduces damage taken by Storms in Deep Oceans). Maybe you can add it to some help/strategy file? Does Bonus Mana water have a txt help key? that probably would be the best place.

I see you been busy today. I will take care of the Water Mana tags in a little bit. Long one at the day job.....:spear:

fixed and uploaded svn 197

@ Sephi,

you will need to make a <Strategy>TXT_KEY_BONUS_MANA_WATER_STRATEGY</Strategy>
entry in the schema file for the water mana, just got an xml load error message regarding. should directly relate to the civ4improvementInfo.xml that I uploaded on svn revision 197

wow I had no idea one entry without the schema would make such a mess. had about 200 errors following the original. removed the strategy entry and they went away. so you will want to check the schema when you work with the updated file, and test before releasing.

you can only use what is defined in the schema. If strategy tag is not defined there, you can't use it.

also you modified the improvementinfos file, not the bonusinfos. Was that intended? (since you called the txt key bonus_mana_water).

Anyway, uploaded a revision to fix this so you do not have to worry about it anymore. I'll try to be a bit more clear in the future.

you can only use what is defined in the schema. If strategy tag is not defined there, you can't use it.

also you modified the improvementinfos file, not the bonusinfos. Was that intended? (since you called the txt key bonus_mana_water).

Anyway, uploaded a revision to fix this so you do not have to worry about it anymore. I'll try to be a bit more clear in the future.

what i did was make a search for mana_water, which led me to the improvementinfos file and upon examining it, i saw a placeholder for the <help/> tag, but not one for the <strategy/> tag.
i created the strategy tag there an then created the actual tag files in the usual place for translation.
its obvious now that i chose the wrong file to check for the help/strategy "feeds"

this is how i learn as a rule.... break something and then by the time i fix it, ive learned a couple things i didnt know before... haha

We get a lot of posts regarding pedia entries or hints for new civs, or features, etc...

It occured to me that the initial startup window displaying your civs unique features, traits could possibly be a place for a "startup hint file" either as a short paragraph or maybe as a link to a helpfile (like Saathie's Omnipotent Mage Victory), or maybe both. The short for a basic hint and the link as a more in depth hint/info/pedia place.
We could set these up as very basic entries for new things, and then add to them as resources and time allowed.

Just a thought I had.

A flesh golem can level up?

You can give it the promotions/ strengths of other units by sacrificing them, but the golem itself can not level up afaik. (The spell is available to all units in the same stack as the flesh golem)

Top Bottom