R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

the ingame mod browser failed to extract the files correctly, use 7zip or another archive manager to do it.

you can rename the .civ5mod file to .7z or .rar if your archive manager refuse to extract it.

next version will be directly in 7zip format.

Thanks. It worked using 7zip. The mod browser does not however.

I had an odd occurrence this weekend while playing this scenario.

On or near turn 80 and again on turn 90 the game came to a halt during the AI turn. I waited for more than 5 minutes to the normal time between turns while the AI was processing but nothing ever happened. In both cases I reloaded a save file from before and replayed the turn 80 and 90 again successfully. Don't know what caused the game to stop but at least my trick work and got to continue.

I'm going to start a new game as another nation to see if I can repeat this issue.

i have tried the custom game thing but no matter how many times i click the start button, it still remains at the selection screen (country and difficulty), HELP!!

I had an odd occurrence this weekend while playing this scenario.

On or near turn 80 and again on turn 90 the game came to a halt during the AI turn. I waited for more than 5 minutes to the normal time between turns while the AI was processing but nothing ever happened. In both cases I reloaded a save file from before and replayed the turn 80 and 90 again successfully. Don't know what caused the game to stop but at least my trick work and got to continue.

I'm going to start a new game as another nation to see if I can repeat this issue.
Were you able to select your units or open the game menu during the game halt ?

v.11 will be released *soon* (maybe not today, but before the end of the week) BTW

i have tried the custom game thing but no matter how many times i click the start button, it still remains at the selection screen (country and difficulty), HELP!!

do you have any other mod activated ?

Yes I was able to select my units but could not order them to move or attack or perform any other action. The game tells you that the turn is still in progress by ai player.

I also was able to access the game menu and save my game as is. Then I could quit to main menu and reload my save file. Upon reloading the save which was still in the process of computing the ai turn the same error repeated, i.e. could not complete ai turn and could not move or use my units.

Is there a discussion for this mod? Or a manual?
There's some things I don't understand about it.
1) How do the resources at the top work?
2) How does taking enemy territory help if you can't man it? Is the idea to deny its use to the enemy and cutting supply lines?
3) Why do aircraft not appear in the civilopedia?
4) How do I build more aircraft I'm on turn 21 as Britain and I have a heavy aircraft factory but no ability to build them.
5) What is the message Adolf Hitler has called Reserve forces at his Capital?

I'm liking this mod so far, just wondering how some specifics work.

Also, I'm guessing that small towns are basically for use as minor boosts to the resources at the top and as bases for aircraft? (somewhat like how they effectively functioned in the civ4 WWII mod).

Thanks in advance, good job with the mod!

Is there a discussion for this mod? Or a manual?
There's some things I don't understand about it.
1) How do the resources at the top work?
2) How does taking enemy territory help if you can't man it? Is the idea to deny its use to the enemy and cutting supply lines?
3) Why do aircraft not appear in the civilopedia?
4) How do I build more aircraft I'm on turn 21 as Britain and I have a heavy aircraft factory but no ability to build them.
5) What is the message Adolf Hitler has called Reserve forces at his Capital?

I'm liking this mod so far, just wondering how some specifics work.

Also, I'm guessing that small towns are basically for use as minor boosts to the resources at the top and as bases for aircraft? (somewhat like how they effectively functioned in the civ4 WWII mod).

Thanks in advance, good job with the mod!

Gedemon can probably answer these better but ill give it a shot. :)

1. Personal (Citizen Icon) and Material (Production Icon) are used to heal your units, just like the way it would be in real life. Those resources are created by your cities and buildings.

2. Yes, I would say the main reason is to cut supply lines, you can also deny them production from taking their manufactories. It also increases score.

3. Probably because they havn't been added yet.

4. A heavy aircraft factory builds bomber planes, the small aircraft factory will build fighter planes. Is that what your asking for?

5. It means the AI player has gained infantry (their reserves) units.

I guess it's time I start writing a small manual. Note that details are subject to change as we work on the game balance, but I think the base is now fixed, so it make sense to document it :D

Just to complete T_KCommanderbly answer :

1/ you can also use the "your country need you" and "buy war bond" processes to create more personnel and materiel respectively (use food focus with "your country need you" and production/gold focus with "buy war bonds"). Friends and Allied City-States will also provide you with those resources, and it's not negligible

2/ Taken territory is also used to provide supply line for your own troops. When the supply line is cut for a unit it won't heal and it get combat penalty.

3/ Civilopedia is a bit bugged, aircrafts appears in the "Great People" section I think.

4/ Heavy Bomber is a project that must be build in a city with a military academy. Once build you can train Halifax in your British cities with a large air factory. Note that projects are not always available from start, and that some nation won't have some unit type (France and Italy don't have heavy bombers for example)

5/ To help the AI, it get bonus in form of reinforcement in it's capital (the "reserve troops") These units are either infantry or obsolete tanks. Normally the reserve are called when the nation is losing the war (% of territory taken, not enough units left...) but in the case of Germany the function is called from the 3rd turns until it has taken enough territory or reached an unit threshold.

Yes I was able to select my units but could not order them to move or attack or perform any other action. The game tells you that the turn is still in progress by ai player.

I also was able to access the game menu and save my game as is. Then I could quit to main menu and reload my save file. Upon reloading the save which was still in the process of computing the ai turn the same error repeated, i.e. could not complete ai turn and could not move or use my units.

thank you for the details. So it's not the same bug as the one I got with the "prevent suicide attack" function... does it happens in the middle of AI turn (ie: not just after your turn, but after AI has made a few moves) ?

v.11 will be released *soon* (maybe not today, but before the end of the week) BTW

do you have any other mod activated ?

Nope, i thoroughly check it 5 times

thank you for the details....does it happens in the middle of AI turn (ie: not just after your turn, but after AI has made a few moves) ?

You're welcome glad I can help.

The first time it happened on turn 80 I noticed that the game just sat there immediately after I pressed next turn. The second time, at turn 90, the ai was able to play the first few nations but then after the British ai turn it stopped.

I started a new game as Russia and got another error at the mod launch screen. It told me I must disable all other mods before using this one. I knew that I had disabled the other mods before but for some reason Dale's Map Mod was re-activated again? Maybe the computer re-activated it for update? After I disabled that mod your mod worked fine. I am 18 turns into the new game as the Soviet Union and so far all is working fine. I will report more as I spend more time with this new game.

Thanks for the help. The only problem I'm having now is that when I built the heavy air fac, I lost the ability to build the light air fac so now london cannot build fighters :(
Also, with the fighter factory I cannot build fighters! I'd think they should be available without further construction/research.
Final issue, can't build at or aa? Is the idea that field aa would be negligible and at is part of the units?

Mod is even more fun now that I'm beginning to understand the detail.

I've written in the other scenario's thread that I'm having problems starting the mod, probably due to using DirectX9. I'm using Windows XP so I can't even choose what Dx to use. Does this mean that I can't play the mod at all?

On a second matter, I could help write the Civilopedia texts for units, buildings or anything else. This way, you'd have time fixing things and adding more features/units/buildings/whatever to the mod while I'm writing the pedia entries. I can't start right away as my exam week starts today so I need to study for the exams but after it I have plenty of free time. If I can't play the mod, let me mod the mod. ;)

v.11 is done and uploaded, here's the download link.

New users, don't forget to download the data file first. (and see first post for compete installation instructions.)

As usual, here's the changelog :

v.11 (Sep 21, 2011):
- Feature : AI override function to force destroyer and cruiser to hunt submarines.
- Added : New leaders and units (infantry) icons by Four_Pharao.
- Added : New pedia entries for ships and tanks from Hulfgar.
- Bugfix : Mosquito and Tu-2 where inversed and not buildable.
- Bugfix : Permanent alliance for France/UK was sometimes not called.
- Bugfix : Remove default upgrading, the vanilla engine allows upgrade to units requesting project before the project is completed...
- Feature : Add auto-upgrading function, one unit per turn may upgrade if there are enough materiel to allow that. Most experimented units upgrade first.
- Bugfix : Top Panel show begining of turn data, not end of last turn data.
- Bugfix : Custom victory events are now correctly called.
- Balance : remove Fast Bombers' city bonus.
- Balance : +1 move for embarked units (from 3 to 4)
- Balance : -1 move for submarines (from 6 to 5)
- Balance : Bf-109E and Spitfire Mk II are now FIGHTER_B class instead of FIGHTER class (in short : one level up)
- Balance : +10 Combat Value to Il-2
- Balance : +10 Combat Value and -1 Moves for Matilda II tank
- Added : 5th batch of units from danrell's WW2 packs (with help from T_KCommanderbly for Earth 1941 scenario) and some corresponding project :
- Heavy Bombers : B-17 Flying Fortress
- Bombers : B-25 Mitchell, Il-4
- Destroyer : Kagero class, Fletcher class
- Cruiser : Takao, Balitmore
- Attack Aircraft : Aichi
- Fighters : Lavochkin La-5, Lavochkin La-5 v2, Lavochkin La-7, Fiat G.55 Centauro, Spitfire MK V, Spitfire MK IX, Bf-109F, Bf-109G, Fw-190, P-51
- Heavy Fighters : Westland Whirlwind, Bristol Beaufighter, Bf-110, Bf-110 F4, Ju-88C, He-219, Potez 630, P-38
- Cruiser/Cavalery Tanks : A9 Cruiser Mk I, A10 Cruiser Mk II, A13 Cruiser Mk III, A13 Mk II Cruiser Mk IV, H-35, H-39, BT-2, BT-7
- Light Tanks : Type 95 Ha-Go, Type 4 Ke-Nu
- Tanks : Panzer III Ausf J, Panzer IV Ausf G, Panzer IV Ausf H, T34-76, M14-41, M15-42, M4A1(76)W Sherman IIA, M4A2 Sherman III, M4 Firefly, Type 97 Shinhoto Chi-Ha, Type 1 Chi-He, Type 3 Chi-Nu
- Heavy Tanks : A22 Churchill, Type 4 Chi-To, Type 5 Chi-Ri​

Not save compatible, finish your previous game before updating.

I've just realized I've forgotten to fix Barcelone name, will be for next release or hotfix if needed (lot's of change with this release, I hope there's not too many bugs hidding there)...

Thanks for the help. The only problem I'm having now is that when I built the heavy air fac, I lost the ability to build the light air fac so now london cannot build fighters :(
Also, with the fighter factory I cannot build fighters! I'd think they should be available without further construction/research.
Final issue, can't build at or aa? Is the idea that field aa would be negligible and at is part of the units?

Mod is even more fun now that I'm beginning to understand the detail.
The specialized factories are quick to build (~4-6 turns) so you can switch mid-game the specialization of a city (sell the large air factory, build a small one)

If you can't build Spitfire in small factory, then there's a bug somewhere :D

No AT or AA gun, they'll be part of fortification units when I made them, but they are not planned as independent unit. AA may be part of Artillery regiment at some point.

I've written in the other scenario's thread that I'm having problems starting the mod, probably due to using DirectX9. I'm using Windows XP so I can't even choose what Dx to use. Does this mean that I can't play the mod at all?

On a second matter, I could help write the Civilopedia texts for units, buildings or anything else. This way, you'd have time fixing things and adding more features/units/buildings/whatever to the mod while I'm writing the pedia entries. I can't start right away as my exam week starts today so I need to study for the exams but after it I have plenty of free time. If I can't play the mod, let me mod the mod. ;)
Should work on Dx9, on some other mods thread, Dx9 version is reported to work better than Dx11. Note that the Earth map is giant size, you may need lot's of computer resources to play it.

about the pedia, help is welcome, see the development thread here. Hulfgar has given some naval and tank units entries from his modpack, but there's still a lot to add, you may want to ask him what he plans to do next.

Nope, i thoroughly check it 5 times

could you post the lua log after trying to launch the mod ? that could help me to identify the problem (see troubleshooting section in first post)

First, awesome mod so far - just about 25 turns in as Germany and finally repulsed the French and took Strasbourg after taking Poland early on...

I'm a little unclear about the mechanics of the material resupply though. Playing as Germany, my personnel supply seems good - like about 3200/3200 with +198 per turn. Material however always sits about about 0/1400 with a +1 or +2. I've looked at screenshots of other games from people and that seems about what others are getting, or more often they have a negative value.

So, since my material is sitting at 0, does that mean I'm not healing my tanks and such every turn over the base amount? And, how do I raise the material amounts supplied? It seems no matter how many cities I switch to War Bonds and how many factories I build, the value still sits at the same place. Am I doing something wrong or is this as intended?

Also, just finally realized as Germany that I should probably purchase some more units with all that gold I have sitting there...oops. :blush:

Thanks again for the mod - loved your Stalingrad mod, so was psyched to see you made this one.

thanks for the comments :D

with v.11 released, I may take the time to write a small manual for the mod before adding new features....

The reinforcement mechanism of the mod allows your units too heal quicker than in vanilla game (+5 hp/turn) IF there is enough personnel/materiel available. (on the other hand, the max HP is much higher than vanilla, and an unit with high damage will need more turns to get back to full health)

I've made a few screenshoots to explain the materiel part (click for full size)

1/ toppanel mouseover

when passing the mouse over the reinforcement part of the top panel, you get a global detailled report of the reinforcements you've gotten at the beginning of the current turn.

2/ effect of buildings

In the city screen or the build menu, the mouse over pop-up on building show it's effect on reinforcement. Factories give 20 materiel each turn to the global pool, and add 50 more to the max stock (1280 on the screen)

The Arsenal add 500 to the max stock value for example, I think I've posted a list somewhere, I'll repost it when I'll write the manual.

3/ effect of units

Unit classes request different value for each type of reinforcement, the pop-up on units display the ratio between personnel and materiel. Light Tanks use 8/12 for 1 hp healed and medium tanks use 2/18, so they drain much more materiel when they need reinforcement (on 2 turns at 5hp/turn : 20 personnel and 180 materiel...)

4/ effect of war bonds

the "War Bonds" process should be used in high-production city, it convert half of production+gold to materiel reinforcement, in the example screen, that make (35.2+14)/2 = 24.6

On this screen of next turn, you can see that the "buy war bonds" process from Moscow has added 25 materiel to the pool. Which is not enough to counter the heavy casualties received y all my (obsolete) tank units facing an early DoW from Germany... :D

5/ 427 materiel used to reinforce troops for just 4 tanks ???

yep, use infantries !

here's a screenshot from the firetuner, those informations are not available to the player yet, but I plan to add those values to the unit pop up info when hovering on the icon with the mouse :

for example, the pop up when the mouse would be over the icon the badly damaged T-28 in Minsk will show that it's needing 10 personnel and 90 materiel each turn to heal, and will need a total of 126 personnel and 1134 materiel in 13 turns to heal the 63 hp of damage (12/75 hp left)...

of course if you don't have enough materiel, then all your units won't heal at full rate.

I know that it seems to be excessive values, but it's really something I want for balancing gameplay. Tanks and especially heavy tanks are very powerful, but they will (especially heavy tanks...) drain your reinforcement at a very high rate if you don't have a very strong production...

I know that it seems to be excessive values, but it's really something I want for balancing gameplay. Tanks and especially heavy tanks are very powerful, but they will (especially heavy tanks...) drain your reinforcement at a very high rate if you don't have a very strong production...

I think this is very well balanced :goodjob: ...and it's the only reason I build infantery and artillery units... though Artillery is definately more useless.

My suggestion to improve artillery slightly is to actually give the artillery XP when it's attacking a city...

That said I just want to add, don't listen too much to the suggestions in this forum :lol:

Also about city names, "Göteborg" in sweden should be "Gothenburg" in english ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothenburg

Should work on Dx9, on some other mods thread, Dx9 version is reported to work better than Dx11. Note that the Earth map is giant size, you may need lot's of computer resources to play it.

I had played it before the patch with a crash during the conquest of Paris, but after patching it to v.11 it crashed to desktop straight at the loading screen on both scenarios. I will try the newest patch and see if it fixed it but I wouldn't count on it. I'll report back to you on how it goes.

Top Bottom