WWI Scenario

nokmirt

Emperor
WWI - Strength of Wills

Spoiler :

Introduction

The year is 1890...

The monarchs of Europe have set themselves on the path to Imperialism. All are in competition with one another to be the most powerful, prestigious, and awe inspiring nation in the world.
This strength of wills between the nations of Europe led to the most destructive war the world would ever see at that time, known as the First World War. Will history repeat itself? The fate of your nation is in your hands.
This is a scenario set in the years prior to World War One. The game begins in 1890 and ends at the end of 1918. Take control of one of eleven civs and dominate Europe.

Improving the infrastructure of your homeland, is of the utmost importance. If you can build up your science, economy, production, and military might, you will have a critcal edge over your neighbors.

Playable civs

United Kingdom
France
Italy
Germany
Austria
Ottomans
Russia
Greece
Serbia
Arabia
Kabyle Berbers

The map is a standard size Europe 72x73, which I have resized. I've made some changes as far a cities and resources go. Adding my own panache to it.

This is my first scenario. I would like to give credit to the following people...

Gedemon and nutty for all their help.

I give credit to Gedemon for his R.E.D. Modpack.

corn for his European map.

FrenchCorsair for his End in 1918 mod.

Snafusmith for his destroyer.

JFD for leaderheads and Greater Europe for Franz Joseph.

Thanks very much to all of you.

This scenario is for Brave New World. You must have all dlcs.

This scenario is for Brave New World. You must have all dlcs.

Screenshots

Spoiler :

I added WWI artillery to France and added artillery to Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire. This is the German 7.7cm field gun. The French get the 155 mm gun. Hopefully at some point more units will be converted so I can make some more changes.

For diverse units use RED mod pack. The RED modpack v 30 these changes are for the WWI scenario. It is not an updated version of Gedemon's mod. This adds snafusmith's new destroyer, which has team colors on the smoke stacks.

The updated RED modpack is here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/eu5z3v4gvih6bf3/R.E.D.%20Modpack%20%28v%2030%29.zip?dl=0

I also turned off the fog of war.

The map has been reworked with the following changes...

1. Suez Canal is opened. Port Said has been added to control the Suez. This city is controlled by the British.
2. Each civ gets a garrison of riflemen or cavalry, sometimes both.
3. Replaced Songhai with Morocco for Berber Cavalry and a BNW civ
4. Added Chateaus for France, must be adjacent to a luxury resource.
5. Add Kasbahs for Kabyle Berbers
6. Added Serbia
7. Added in Stadiums for extra happiness building options.
8. Adjusted some resources on the map.
9. AI handicap set to warlord.
10. Ship of the line, privateer and frigates obsolete at steam power.
11. Nation and leader names updated.

Scenario download below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1l31i9z8eyz8hkh/WWIMapNew%20%28v%205%29.zip?dl=0

I have been playing and its fun. Even so, I want to make some changes resource wise. There are too many on the map. Resource acquirement should be the most important factor. Oil, especially, should be worked mostly through oil wells. Except in certain areas, like distant parts in Russia, and the Caspian sea. Also, there will be some in Romania, and perhaps a source up for grabs between Germany and Russia, as well as Russia and Austria-Hungary. So, refrigeration will be an important tech to grab early on. The you can get your aircraft etc, up and running.

Coal and aluminum should also be contested over. Expansion in North Africa should be an option for gathering resources. And the AI does go there which is really interesting.

In fact, the British organized two amphib operations against me at the same time. One smaller one against my colony in Algeria, and a very large one against my Port at Wilhemshaven. They also forced their way past Copenhagen fighting as they went. Copenhagen was my ally. I also had a massive battle early on, against the Russians over the city of Minsk.

The other problem to deal with is changing Geneva to Zurich, and making it a mercantile CS, instead of religious.

I am thinking of adding some diverse riflemen, subs and destroyers. The subs and destroyers will be from WWII, but the standard destroyer is modern anyway. So big deal. It will look cool.

All in all, I like what I see it has been a blast of a scenario. Even though it is a simple scenario. As I learn more about modding, I'll make it better and better. :)

Seems interesting! Do you plan to make it an actual mod with new units, rules and stuff? That would be great :)

Is it on steam? I cannot find it there...

Reminder of changes to be made

1. Add as many diverse riflemen/destroyers/subs as possible. I've thought about this. I wanted the game to be more colorful. Adding unit diversity will add to this. All UUs are are equal. I have not made German Fokkers better than the Bitish Sopwith Camel, for example. The different units are there for flavor. To make the time period look more authentic.

2. Add theatres to all cities. Banks/walls/castle/2 additional pop in all capitals.

3. Give all civs and CSs an initial army/naval force.

4. Adjust initial money and, based on any expenditures for units and buildings. Also adjust techs, civs start with cannon/gatling guns/ironclads. Artillery will have to be researched.

Purchase costs

Theatre
Bank(1)
Rifleman
Cannon
Cavalry
Worker
Ironclad
Frigate

Apply all costs to each civ's start money. Then divide remainder by half to get initial money figure. Round down to nearest thousand. This will be the adjusted beginning gold amount. Simple and straightforward.

5. Scale down strategic resources for civs. The Ottoman Empire should have potential production capacity scaled down somewhat. The 'sick man of Europe', should not be number one in production.

6. Debating adding Songhai into North Africa as indigenous desert tribesmen. Berbers and so on. Make them in a state of permanent war with everyone perhaps. If this is possible. This would make colonization more interesting.

9. Decide which industrial techs each civ has researched.

List of techs

Researched Archaeology, Scientific Theory, Industrialization, Rifling, Military Science, Fertillzer, and Steam Power.

All civs will need to research Biology, Electricity, and Dynamite. To make things more interesting.

Changes

Added Zurich to replace Geneva.

Seems interesting! Do you plan to make it an actual mod with new units, rules and stuff? That would be great :)

Is it on steam? I cannot find it there...

No, I have not added it to steam. It is a work in progress. When it is finished and balanced, I may at that point. I really do not want to make it too complicated. However, I do want to adjust some things. Add more unique units and adjust the map. Also, I am not going to change the base CiV rules.

Map not working.
You have to have GnK and Dlcs. Did you add it here? C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Maps

and the mods into C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS

Click all the proper mods in the mods section in game. Info Addict, End in 1918, WWI mod map, and WWI mod pack.

Also in game, in mods, single player. Go to advanced setup, choose the WWI mod map from the map scroll down menu. Hit the back tab and click load scenario.

I managed to run this game just fine... was enjoying being a 4-city Grecian autocracy until it crashed at Turn 35. Maybe my comp can't handle this at Immortal level with 13 civs. :(

I also noticed that the teams shifted every now and then... I love that aspect, though the lack of information sharing and denouncements other than at me was... interesting. Also even more interesting: everybody took Order except me (Autocracy), or in Spain's case, Freedom.

I managed to run this game just fine... was enjoying being a 4-city Grecian autocracy until it crashed at Turn 35. Maybe my comp can't handle this at Immortal level with 13 civs. :(

I also noticed that the teams shifted every now and then... I love that aspect, though the lack of information sharing and denouncements other than at me was... interesting. Also even more interesting: everybody took Order except me (Autocracy), or in Spain's case, Freedom.
In my game the Russians took order and rationalism. They had tanks right away pretty much. Send me your savegame at turn 35, or right before the crash. If you could. See if it crashes for me.

This is why I want to test gameplay, before I adjust anything. In my game as Germany I am on turn 116, May 1897.

In my game the Russians took order and Rationalism. They had tanks right away pretty much. Send me your savegame at turn 35, or right before the crash. If you could.

In my game the Russians took order and Rationalism. They had tanks right away pretty much. Send me your savegame at turn 35, or right before the crash. If you could.

I don't have autosave turned on, so there's only the initial autosave.

Here it is:

(I'll definitely be keeping my eye out on this mod. It certainly was great fun! Didn't managed to meet Russia though, but judging by the Top Literacy Rate, it sounds like she was the leader)

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 AD-1878-January.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 277
I don't have autosave turned on, so there's only the initial autosave.

Here it is:

(I'll definitely be keeping my eye out on this mod. It certainly was great fun! Didn't managed to meet Russia though, but judging by the Top Literacy Rate, it sounds like she was the leader)

I am on turn 48 no issues. It is kind of relaxing so far playing as Greece. So far I took Tradition, and Commerce SPs. I built the Great library and Great lighthouse. My ships will have +2 movement and sight. Settling North Africa will be a breeze. I have to watch the Turks, they got a bit perturbed when I bought up the aluminum near their capital. This is my first try at immortal.

Wow, I just got blasted by France and Austria at once. Then Spain DoWed me and took my colonies in North Africa. Can I say Holy Crap!? Or is that not allowed?

WWI Infantry units download.

Attachments

• WWI infantry.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 423
Wow, I just got blasted by France and Austria at once. Then Spain DoWed me and took my colonies in North Africa. Can I say Holy Crap!? Or is that not allowed?

I guess you could.:lol:

I managed to try this out again, this time without InfoAddict and it worked well past T35.

Here's what happened:

1) I took Tradition and then went Commerce.
2) Managed to bag the Great Library, had a GE pop at Sparta and sent it to rush Himeji in Athens. Then went for building the Notre Dame to give me more happiness
3) By this point, I was rushbuying quite a bunch of units to rush the Ottomans... but it was kinda too late

Spoiler :

Still, I wasn't about to be deterred by some "showcase" of military hardware, so I went in with this amount of forces

Spoiler :

It was kind of costly, and this was when the Suleiman began rushbuying defenses... but not to fret, I could always replace that heavy hitter

Spoiler :

Even managed to bag Bursa... oh well, this is going to be a grind

Spoiler :

Now I managed to retake it again after some heavy bombardment... but this was when the Ottomans began parking artillery and channeling in melee units to repeatedly take it back

Spoiler :

You can begin to see how many times I lost and retook that city

Spoiler :

Then the Ottoman Sipahi began employing what I call Doubling Rolling - using mounted units to take cities and then rotating them in and out if its a long siege... except the Ottomans with their Immortal bonuses have a superior pool of stuff to throw at me.

Spoiler :

Eventually I lost everything relevant to taking cities, lost my goldstack to rush them all out, and this was when Suleiman began counterattacking

Spoiler :

He started pushing out U-boats, lost all my promoted Frigates

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

And began a push for Thessalonika

Spoiler :

While keeping Athens blockaded with his U-Boats

Spoiler :

Then his English and German comrades declared war on me too:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

With weight of numbers and allies (especially Immortal England with SOTLs), he would eventually overwhelm me. My mistake was not rushbuying units at the start (first 30 turns) when he wasn't even building anything remotely related to military - I think I will build GL, Ironworks + Himeji, then rush out units to take out Bursa and Istanbul before he can get his artilleries up. Maybe build ND when I have more breathing room, but taking out the sick man of Europe is main priority.

Spoiler :

Also what's up with the lack of roads and infrastructure?

Nice screenshots and explanation. I have felt firsthand how tough the AI is, it overwhelms you. It did it to me on level 5. The mistake I made is playing nice guy with the Russians. I took Minsk then did not push on to Moscow. That would have put them in their place a bit. Then I should have turned around and attacked France or Austria. Instead I got into a prolonged war with the British, which wore me down. Then they all just bum rushed me, even the Greeks, and Italians. The Ottomans and the Swedish were my only so called friends, but neither would DoW my enemies. In short, I was doomed.

Changes so far

I have redone the map mod, and added xml game rules for Citystates, and CityStatesNames. This should straighten out the team names on the victory point display, at least I hope.

Also, I have adjusted the strategic resources a bit. Changed some locales where oil and aluminum are found. Oil wells will be much more important. Oil wells will make up 66% of oil production for most civs. Most will have 15 oil, 3 sources, with 5 oil on a land tile for most civs. More major civs, Germany, United Kingdom, France, Austria, for instance, will have better oil supplies. Middle tier countries, Egypt, Greece have less. Then there are the Arabs who have tons of oil, but less production capability overall.

Greece will need wells built for her oil supply. The same goes for Egypt. So, Greece will be interesting to play, because if you can take out the Ottomans early you have it made. There will be no artillery early for any civ. There be coal for ironclads/factories.

Some changes I will make

1. Add Songhai as the Berbers in central Algeria. They will be lacking education tech, but with have gunpowder. They will not be playable. Their purpose is to hopefully make colonizing North Africa more interesting.

2. I wanted to revert technology back a bit. All civs will have to research Fertilizer, Dynamite, Biology, and Electricity. The scenario begins in 1878, but the problem is that civs have WWI militaries too early. It should take a bit to get modernized.

3. I will add roads, an army, and workers for each civ. The rest of the infrastructure will need to be built. The reasoning behind this scenario was have to build up your nation and then fight. Or fight as you build. Either way, I did not want to hand everything over to the player. Basically I feel they are in charge and should make their own choices for running their civ.

4. I may scale money down, but we can determine that through playtesting.

5. I wanted to add diverse riflemen. Actually, It should not take me too long to do that.

6. I should remove info addict.

7. When all that is finished I'll post the update. In the meantime. Everyone who wants to, please try it out and leave any feedback. Feedback is extremely helpful.

One more thing smallfish. When your map/mod is done. I'll happily playtest it. No prob. Thanks again for the interesting gameplay commentary.

Well then, let's get going here. Eight new rifleman units and one Kabyle pikeman unit coming up.

Rifles are done, there are ten of them. Now to finish map. Then do some playtesting.

I have been working on the map, there is quite a bit left to do. Hopefully it goes by fast, so I can post an update.

For this update. I will not add military units, except for Songhai, who are the Kabyle tribesmen of central Algeria. The reason being is, because, these guys are behind on tech, and I want them to expand. They will be in a state of permanent war with all other major civs. I also decided to make them playable. For the major civs, I will edit their techs, cities, for certain buildings, and add roads. The rest the player will build up as the game goes on. I really do not want to stray from my basic design concept, which is to buildup and fight.

Reminder

Add code for strategic view icons for all units.

Look in the .fxsxml files to see which worldbuilder icon is tagged to bernie14's units.

I have added a beta of WWI scenario Version two. I have some code to work on. However, if any of you can playtest and give me feedback, it would be a huge help. Thank you.

I am playing as Arabia myself, so far so good.

I have added a new Beta test zip in the opening post. This has the strategic view icons fixed for civ UUs.

Actually, I am thinking of a better name for this. WWI scenario is rather lame I must admit.

Top Bottom