The Civilization Franchise- dead?

Yeah whatever. You can't seriously tell us, that you can evade online check and re-registration forever. There are situations (especially if you intend to actually use internet sometimes) where the online check is repeated and if the server has gone dead by then, all the money spent on your games will be lost. Believing in anything else than that is beyond naive...

Someday the sun will supernova and incinerate all of your games. But before then Obama will announce martial law and the police will confiscate all of your games. But even before all of that your doggy woggy will use them as a chew toy because you accidentally left them on the coffee table. All of your games lost, like tears in the rain:(

Someday the sun will supernova and incinerate all of your games. But before then Obama will announce martial law and the police will confiscate all of your games. But even before all of that your doggy woggy will use them as a chew toy because you accidentally left them on the coffee table. All of your games lost, like tears in the rain:(

Well, maybe naive was not exactly the right word...
What a mature post, you really have all my respect for that one... :lol:

But luckily, your doggy can't chew on your Steam.

For me the Civ series is dead since Civ 4 with its ridicolous "3d-engine". Civ 5 has the same failure and I didn´t buy it any longer cause of the bad experiences with Civ 4 - and additionally because the customers now are forced to use Steam.

For me the Civ series is dead since Civ 4 with its ridicolous "3d-engine". Civ 5 has the same failure and I didn´t buy it any longer cause of the bad experiences with Civ 4 - and additionally because the customers now are forced to use Steam.

Your computer must be horrible of it can't handle even Civ IV. I tried playing Civ V on the largest map size with eighteen civs - I even switched into the 2D mode - and it still crashed on me in the early game.

Civ 5 actually lags less than Civ 4, interestingly enough.

Edit: same with Skyrim - Oblivion actually. Seems fairly common.

That's completely insane. I'd tell you about my experiences with both, had I not just done so.

Well, it surely depends :D Civ IV is a monocore app while Civ V can work in more than one core ( actually the prereqs require atleast a dual core :p ) ...

I can definitely believe than a low speed dual core can run faster Civ V than Civ IV due to that, especially on big maps ... but in most computers it is exactly the opposite.

Yeah whatever. You can't seriously tell us, that you can evade online check and re-registration forever. There are situations (especially if you intend to actually use internet sometimes) where the online check is repeated and if the server has gone dead by then, all the money spent on your games will be lost. Believing in anything else than that is beyond naive...

Odds are my hardware and OS won't be able to run the game without a fair bit of hacking by then anyway, due to growing neglect for the concept of backwards compatability. And if I'm already screwing around just to get the OS to stop choking the game, I'm hardly going to be worried about the online check.

It's far from dead, although it's peak is or shall be on the Civ IV Creation and Customization forums.

After the just announced expansion we can have CiV Complete .They could call it "CiV :Out of Steam", Or CiV :Milk thi$ Ca$h Cow!" before they anounce "CiVI : Lowest Common Denomenator" The first ever First Person Shooter for Lameboy/FaceySpace/SquintPhone/why?Pad/BS Box wii60/ e-Nook reader/ and on TV pay per view through your cable/sattelite provider -you can play it all the time and everywhere! You can die, but you can never quit! (Purchase required, subscription required,STEAM required , includes advertisements, phone charges and cable fees apply, DLC available!) Sure to be nominated for Game of the Year!

It's far from dead, although it's peak is or shall be on the Civ IV Creation and Customization forums.

After the just announced expansion we can have CiV Complete .They could call it "CiV :Out of Steam", Or CiV :Milk thi$ Ca$h Cow!" before they anounce "CiVI : Lowest Common Denomenator" The first ever First Person Shooter for Lameboy/FaceySpace/SquintPhone/why?Pad/BS Box wii60/ e-Nook reader/ and on TV pay per view through your cable/sattelite provider -you can play it all the time and everywhere! You can die, but you can never quit! (Purchase required, subscription required,STEAM required , includes advertisements, phone charges and cable fees apply, DLC available!) Sure to be nominated for Game of the Year!

Is it this?

http://www.2kgames.com/blog/civilization-v-expansion-pack-announced

Oh gods... That's, that's...

Mouthwash! Wash. Your. Mouth!

Spoiler :
Been waiting sometime to say that... :lol:

Oh dear... which word is profanity in your language, Mr AJ11? "Is?" "It?" Or "this?"

The entire idea of an "expansion" for Civ5... :D

It just seems like they're trying to fix it. I heard Civ III sucked when it came out as well.

It just seems like they're trying to fix it. I heard Civ III sucked when it came out as well.

The only thing that sucked about Civ3 was the animated units. It made it more difficult for me to add units and muck around with things compared to the old bmp style Civ2 graphics :)

There were some hugely unbalanced features in the initial release. For example, horsemen got 100% retreat chances. :eek: Everything was fixed by the final patch of Vanilla. The game wasn't bad but there were some errors in the implementation.

In contrast, the whole Civ 5 game concept simply sucks. They've improved it a bit but it's still boring, largely because the "improvements" are all about nerfing exploits instead of adding fun and challenge.

Check out the contrast between the Civ 3, 4, and 5 war academies. In Civ 3 and 4, the articles are mostly about how to grow your empire. In 5, they're about the - incredibly unbalanced - characteristics of the various civs.

Top Bottom