City State Diplomacy Mod (Updated)

I report on my v2 game with Dhisggs Earth and CCMAT v9:

AI has CSs, but I have the most :)

On this real Earth I am England and I have 3 cities and allied CSs:
Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Lisboa and Madrid.

Funny thing happened: around 1300 France had sent many land units onto near shore waters on the west, plus he had two triremes, too.
As a consequence, I could not get to my allies Lisboa and Madrid... and Athens!
(no, not on land, either... there were Frencs archers, too, many)

What could I do? I need those CSs, plus some excitement ;)
So a war against France I declared, and casus belli was the CSs... :)
(quite historic, eh? Middle ages...)

Now in 1400 the French has lost nearly all army, and I cannot bear the temptation...
I will get Paris (size 13!), I want it, and will raze Orleans...
I guess from then Rome and Germany will be new foes, but eh... :)
/and I still want to go cultural.../

On the way to history and perhaps new CSs, too :)

I tried the mod yesterday, it's pretty cool. But I got pissed to have all texts like TXT_KEY_UNIT_HELP_DIPLOMAT xD (I play on french retail game :p)

Dunno if there exists any official translation so I am currently translating it into french so that it can be playable for me. (EDIT : testing, but I think I've translated most of it already)

I might share it when I'm done, if there is anybody interested.

Hmmm...might be related to latest 'hotfix,' though I don't see any other complaints on the forums.

Maybe you and Soma have the exact same problem on your computers? (Highly unlikely).

Let me know what you think of the new version when you get some time to play.
G

Looked into it more, and it is *not* the same problem - the CCMAT mod does unpack, but then I am left with an empty folder. (The CIV5MOD file from the forum and the game browser are both only 314 KB, which seems really small, no?)

What luck I have been having with my favorite mods!:ack:

EDIT: I figured out what the problem is, thanks to jooyo over on the CCMAT thread: It is the civ5 file extraction that is buggy (at least for me and Soma) - manually extracting the files with winrar or similar unpacks the files perfectly! I tested on the v16 of this mod and it worked. So now I may just take a little stroll over to the bug forum.:p

I tried the mod yesterday, it's pretty cool. But I got pissed to have all texts like TXT_KEY_UNIT_HELP_DIPLOMAT xD (I play on french retail game :p)

Dunno if there exists any official translation so I am currently translating it into french so that it can be playable for me. (EDIT : testing, but I think I've translated most of it already)

I might share it when I'm done, if there is anybody interested.

Send me your file when you've finished translations and I will add it to the mod. My second language is German (with dabbling in French), so I can make a German translation if need be. I figured I would wait for requests before translating.

Seek,

That sucks. I don't know what the problem is. For now, we can just keep using the unpacked version and hope for the best.

Thanks!
G

EDIT: I figured out what the problem is, thanks to jooyo over on the CCMAT thread: It is the civ5 file extraction that is buggy (at least for me and Soma) - manually extracting the files with winrar or similar unpacks the files perfectly! I tested on the v16 of this mod and it worked. So now I may just take a little stroll over to the bug forum.:p

@Gazebo, @Soma:
Don't know if you saw my edit above, so at least we have a workaround. Thinking about it more, I can't tell if it's a problem on our end or yours Gazebo.. Anyway, I posted on the bugs forum, so we'll see if anyone has more information.

@Gazebo, @Soma:
Don't know if you saw my edit above, so at least we have a workaround. Thinking about it more, I can't tell if it's a problem on our end or yours Gazebo.. Anyway, I posted on the bugs thread, so we'll see if anyone has more information.

Did you test v16 from the modbrowser or the one that I have posted here? The one here is already unpacked.

Did you test v16 from the modbrowser or the one that I have posted here? The one here is already unpacked.

It was the packed version (a CIV5MOD type file) we were having trouble with a few days ago. I'm at work now, but I'll test the modbrowser one when I get home.

It was the packed version (a CIV5MOD type file) we were having trouble with a few days ago. I'm at work now, but I'll test the modbrowser one when I get home.

Cool- how's the mod so far? Any glaring problems?

Once the DLL SDK hits, my plan is to turn the embassy/consulate/residency buildings from influence creators to influence efficiency generators. In essence, if you build a residency, your diplomats will gain +10% to their missions (consulates +20%, embassies +30%). What do you think?
G

I report on my v2 game with Dhisggs Earth and CCMAT v9:

AI has CSs, but I have the most :)

On this real Earth I am England and I have 3 cities and allied CSs:
Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Lisboa and Madrid.

Funny thing happened: around 1300 France had sent many land units onto near shore waters on the west, plus he had two triremes, too.
As a consequence, I could not get to my allies Lisboa and Madrid... and Athens!
(no, not on land, either... there were Frencs archers, too, many)

What could I do? I need those CSs, plus some excitement ;)
So a war against France I declared, and casus belli was the CSs... :)
(quite historic, eh? Middle ages...)

Now in 1400 the French has lost nearly all army, and I cannot bear the temptation...
I will get Paris (size 13!), I want it, and will raze Orleans...
I guess from then Rome and Germany will be new foes, but eh... :)
/and I still want to go cultural.../

On the way to history and perhaps new CSs, too :)

Sounds excellent- just what I wanted to happen.

I might add the paradrop ability to ambassadors to alleviate late game 1upt woes– what do you think? (imagines Kissinger parachuting out of a C-130 into China)

Cool- how's the mod so far? Any glaring problems?

Once the DLL SDK hits, my plan is to turn the embassy/consulate/residency buildings from influence creators to influence efficiency generators. In essence, if you build a residency, your diplomats will gain +10% to their missions (consulates +20%, embassies +30%). What do you think?
G

Haven't had time to play yet:( Wedding yesterday and work today, with a few minutes in between to get all the mods working:p
Yes! Really like the efficiency generator idea.

For the record: civ5mod problems aren't exclusive to you guys. I haven't been able to check if I can install the v16 (developing my own mod), but I've had similar problems with other mods a few days back, so it's probably a problem out of your control.

And I think the influence efficiency mechanic is a good idea.

For the record: civ5mod problems aren't exclusive to you guys. I haven't been able to check if I can install the v16 (developing my own mod), but I've had similar problems with other mods a few days back, so it's probably a problem out of your control.

And I think the influence efficiency mechanic is a good idea.

Well that's good (bad?). I've been about to tear my hair out all weekend.

Tested 2.0 from modbrowser - winrar works, ingame extractor still doesn't.

I go on with my game report:

I captured Paris, razed Orleans...
In Scandinavia I can keep CSs Oslo and Stockholm,
but Germany AI is very agrressive with Helsinki, even I was in ally position with H.,
Bismarck sent there his diplo units and pushed me out of position, so strongly,
that even when I sent a unit to H., it was not enough to get me back to be ally,
even the fact that my blue bar line is full there!

I guess, it is nice that AI is so strongly building relation with a CS... :)

I discovered the Americas and Aztecs and Iroqouies has there CSs...

In South Africa Cape Town CS was not allied, so I got it...
now I have 5 Css ally, not more than in my last post in 1400, and now the date is 1850...

And oh, I had another "nice" CS triggered conflict, in ca. 1800, vs Rome,
who attacked my ally CS Oslo - so I declared on Rome and fulfilled Oslo's quest: to kill 6 units.
Rome was surprisingly clever and asked for peace after that (I lost no unit) - which I accepted...

One thing that is interesting is the many units CSs has, and ships, too!
This is with patch 621, so maybe that is the reason?
It is OK so they can defend quite well - but sending units to them is tricky...

and I have to tell,
with Shiggs map, CCMAT and this diplo mod I really enjoy the game,
things are getting close to what I expect from a civ game :)

a bit OFF thing:

Perhaps it is patch 621, but AI is better, too,
and so far I could manage things as not getting attacked,
diplomacy with AI is perhaps not all haphazard at all?
(things that help:
- don't give open borders to neighbours,
- keep army at border to show off
- cooperate rationally, not with everyone)

Hello again,

I'm done with the translation. I must confess I don't know much about modding on civ5 and I didn't know if I could make it all in one file, so I left the french versions right after the english ones in the very same files. So there is not just one file for french ^^"
How should I do if I wanted to make it all in one file ? (I mean, how should I name it for it to work properly ?)
Anyway here is the current version. I tested it but it is hard to read your own errors, so there might still be typo or errors which I wouldn't have noticed. I apologize in advance for that.

By the way, sorry about my previous post, I realised later that "pissed" may be a bit excessive ^^" I guess I wouldn't have used the equivalent in French, but it's always easier to be blunt in foreign languages :p

Tip: You can upload attachments to your post. Just scroll down below the 'submit reply' button and in the box of 'additional options', you'll see the 'manage attachments' button where you can upload files directly to your post. (Saves you the trip to megaupload.)

I also checked your translations and have some suggestions:
- 'Messager' could be better translated as 'Courrier' maybe
- The [ICON_...] is usually placed before the associated word, instead of after.

Thanks for the info about the attachements.
About the icons, I had initially put all of them after the word, then noticed it was wrong and changed, but appearentlyforgot some of them. It should be ok now, but tell me if there still are some to change.
As for your suggestion about the messenger, I took it into account. I checked the dictionnary and found out that messager could be messenger, but would better be envoy in diplomacy. Hence I translated envoy with messager and messenger with courrier.

Attachments

• City-State Diplomacy (v 15).zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 57
Good morning all! I've been busy grading and writing a lecture for tomorrow's class. Keep the feedback coming!

Thanks for the info about the attachements.
About the icons, I had initially put all of them after the word, then noticed it was wrong and changed, but appearentlyforgot some of them. It should be ok now, but tell me if there still are some to change.
As for your suggestion about the messenger, I took it into account. I checked the dictionnary and found out that messager could be messenger, but would better be envoy in diplomacy. Hence I translated envoy with messager and messenger with courrier.

Excellent work! I will add this to the mod this evening if I get some time.

One thing that is interesting is the many units CSs has, and ships, too!
This is with patch 621, so maybe that is the reason?
It is OK so they can defend quite well - but sending units to them is tricky...

This is part of my mod. I buffed C-Ss (perhaps too much?) to compensate for lack of gold-gifting in the early game and to make them less juicy targets for the more aggressive civs. If movement becomes a major problem I can tone done C-S gold production to force them to have smaller armies.

How should I do if I wanted to make it all in one file ? (I mean, how should I name it for it to work properly ?)

You have the right idea as far as the <language> tag goes, you would only need to make a blank .xml file in modbuddy, then enable the file in the action tab. The name of the .xml doesn't matter as long as you use the same name in the action tab. I'll add the file tonight as a separate file and upload it if you want to see what I mean.

Thanks again!
G

By the way, sorry about my previous post, I realised later that "pissed" may be a bit excessive ^^" I guess I wouldn't have used the equivalent in French, but it's always easier to be blunt in foreign languages :p

Pissed is a fine word to use– I too would be pissed if this excellent, one-of-a-kind mod was marred by TXT_KEY_UNIT_MESSENGER tags everywhere! :lol:

The beautiful thing about the French language is that, even when angry, its still way more smooth and elegant than Deutsch!

Top Bottom