City State Diplomacy Mod (Updated)

Currently playing a game with Ghandi. Playing for a Culture win, but have let it get to the point where Alexander has built the UN. I only have 3 cities that have production and I am pumping out 3 Ambasadors every 4 - 10 turns.

Alexander had 9 CS's and I had only 8 but still had almost 70 turns to finish the last tree, to get the Culture win.

Started sending out diplomats to every CS that Alexander owns when England and Germany both declared war on me and started wiping them out of the oceans systematically. ("I know I probably won't win but I need to do something...") :Bismark.

So in this case, with elections every 8 turns I simply cannot pump diplomats out fast enough, so that I can try and stop Alexander from grabbing that last city state he needs to win.

So from a trying to stop a diplo win point of view... late game diplomats are priced just right...
------------------
Also, this may be a moot point now. But what does CCMAT and CSD2 together do for... "possible unintended consequences concerning gold gift multipliers"?

The 'Update' Update: I've been working on 2.6 in my spare time and have decided to wait on any additional changes until the next big patch comes out. Its almost done (just need to break the files down and create a LUA organizer) however time is of the essence and I would hate to finalize v6 just as soon as Firaxis breaks it via AI changes.

Now, to respond to the plethora of questions and comments:

So from a trying to stop a diplo win point of view... late game diplomats are priced just right...

Sounds good. Alexander loves CSs now...which, of course, makes sense (silly Firaxis).

Harsher AI diplo penatlies for stealing their CS

Some harder more rewarding quests (capute xx city) - I know this may not be possible yet

The work req late game to build diplomacy levels increased

-The AI gets really angry if you steal their CSs, and are already quite protective. I've experienced multiple wars over my civ taking a CS from another.

- New quests might be possible with the new patch- we'll see :)

- Not sure what you mean by the last one- care to elaborate?

Yes, I use that as well. Compare plugin is pretty handy. I was looking for something that generated a formatted table where you could load up the default xml and then aggregate that with your mod folder. As I said, I suspect I can do this with Access, but I'm not current on DB applications. I'll ask over in the tools forum as I don't want to gunk up Gazebo's thread. Just something that came to mind while getting CS Diplomacy properly merged with the Balance mods

Honestly, I just use notepad++ and modbuddy. There really aren't that many XML hooks, once you figure out which (logically) goes in which file.

@Gazebo, remember this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazebo
Finally, the forum cannot have a culture-per-citizen bonus because this mechanic isn't coded into the game. I tried it and it didn't do anything, so meh. Make that #146 on my 'things I need to do when the SDK comes out' list. So, for now, it has +2 culture. Lame.
On another thread, Valkrionn outlined how to do it if you're still interested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrionn
There is no need for it to be a true yield for that; It would be extremely easy to do via lua.

Add a new tag to buildings (easily done with sql) called "CulturePerPop" or something similar.

Then in lua, do the following:
Hook into ActivePlayerTurnStart
Loop all players, so it applies to AI as well as human.
Loop all cities of the player.
Check all buildings in the city for a non-zero value in the new tag.
If found, add to a counter, and keep checking buildings.
Once all buildings are checked, counter should hold the total amount from all buildings in the city. At this point, multiply the counter by the city's population, add to player culture.

I've done similar things in some unreleased mods.

(Don't worry, I thanked him!)

Genius. Sounds...complex. I may need a little outside help on this one (LUA is not my strong suit). I honestly think, since population growth is THE essential gauge for a city's prowess, all buildings should have dynamic wealth, culture, happiness and production creation. It only makes sense, at least to me. This, though, might fit better in a building overhaul mod.

Wow, that is above and beyond for 3 types. I guess though for the C2P version it isn't hard; just some numbers.

I never did WTO. My diplo game way back I had all the CS's so close. I have been deep in C2P lately, than Cat came out for WoW and friend got me running around there once in while. So much gaming, so little time.

congrats on project. My white board in my cube is full. . .

I understand- I've been playing Mount and Blade: Warband in my spare time as well (what little I get).

Has anyone else built the WTO? Just curious.

I'll keep the updates coming once the patch drops. CSD2 is alive and kicking!

G

Gazebo,

Are you planning on adding influence to CS based on Denounce and Friendship Diplomacy? Perhaps a modifier of how much influence a Diplo will give based on history...

Also are there a modifiers to Influence based on the use of Nukes? Tendency to attack and conquer CS's? Disposition of a Leader to known enemies?

Gazebo,

Are you planning on adding influence to CS based on Denounce and Friendship Diplomacy? Perhaps a modifier of how much influence a Diplo will give based on history...

Also are there a modifiers to Influence based on the use of Nukes? Tendency to attack and conquer CS's? Disposition of a Leader to known enemies?

Fun ideas, but I have no idea how to implement said concepts without access to the game's back-end.

On a less fun note, the latest patch broke my copy of CivV. I can't play but about 100 turns without it crashing (even with a restart) with and without the mod running. Furthermore firetuner refuses to play nice, so debugging is also out of the question. Not really sure what to do at this point, as I'm heading out of town today for a two week vacation.

Try verifying the game cache, a nice steam option repairing your installation if you messed something up :)

Try verifying the game cache, a nice steam option repairing your installation if you messed something up :)

Genius! Seems to work. I'm feverishly checking my additions for a last second posting of v6...nothing big, but should make it compatible (fully) with the patch.

v6 online. I'll be able to do basic .xml changes to the file on civfanatics over the break (if need be). Please playtest and let me know what you think!

Details posted on p.1

Happy holidays, everyone!

Great, he breaks the mod, posts it, and goes on vacation.....

:D

:joke:

i have problem to load texture, missing texture

I play in DX9

someone else has the same problem?

Bye

Great, he breaks the mod, posts it, and goes on vacation...

haha. Sounds like I did! I don't know what's happened. Does it say which texture or picture? One solution (if someone wants to help) might be to take the icon files from the old v5 and put them in v6. Perhaps v6 didnt upload correctly.

Edit: it's like I work for Firaxis! ...too soon?

If I remember correctly(already uninstalled till its fixed) it was the textures for all the diplomatic units. Crap I knew I should have written the error message down!

It just says that the game is unable to load the textures for each of the units and the buildings you've created. They notify you dozens of times in between every move if you've started your game with the Mod enabled. In the game whenever one of the unit icons needs to be displayed it's showed as a red box.

This sounds like the VFS issue.

@Gazebo: As stated in the linked topic, go into Modbuddy and try setting "Import into VFS" to "true" on all DDS files and any other file which is meant to override a game file of the same name. Then rebuild the mod.

@Testers: To see if this is the issue, you can open the .modinfo file in a text editor and change the "import=0" to "import=1" on all the DDS files.

Yes, you were right. Every import was 0...
I changed it and it works!

haha. Sounds like I did! I don't know what's happened. Does it say which texture or picture? One solution (if someone wants to help) might be to take the icon files from the old v5 and put them in v6. Perhaps v6 didnt upload correctly.

Edit: it's like I work for Firaxis! ...too soon?

You not allowed to go on vacation anymore. :p

j/k

Top Bottom