City State Diplomacy Mod (Updated)

Yeah I've kind of been caught up in the balance mods, and you said CSD was pretty final a while back. But still playing with it every game!:D

Very nice mod, I am using it in every game I play. I just have one question: I have found out that sometimes a city state that is my ally, suddenly becomes ally with someone else and I can't win it back.

Is it because the other civ has more influence than me on it? If so, is there some way to see how much more than me he/she has?

I'm having a lot of fun with this mod, but I did have a question:

It seems like this mod makes it very difficult to have any sort of diplomacy in the early going, except by luck of the draw. For example, until you get Writing and then have time to build a Messenger and travel him all the way to a city-state, there's practically no way to improve your standing with a city-state unless they offer you a quest.

For example, in my recent game, I met Oslo in the early going. I dealt with some barbarians for them, and got a nice boost, but then more and more time went by, and I didn't have Writing yet, and they didn't offer any more quests. So, I lost my friendship status with them, and lacked any way to bump them up to "allies." Since it was fairly early in the game, there was no way I could afford the cost of a diplomatic mission.

In vanilla, of course, you could throw 250 gold at them to keep things friendly.

It might be nice to have some way to maintain or improve relationships in the early game. One example might be to allow gifts of gold, just not have them affect the friendship so much. For example, 10 gold would prevent the friendship number from going down for one turn. It wouldn't INCREASE it, so you could never BUY friends, but it would prevent you from losing ground with them.

I realize Writing isn't all that far down the technology tree, but in the early going, there are so many critical building tasks, that it's very risky (IMO) to spend 5~7 turns building a messenger when you are in desperate need of settlers, workers, military, and basic buildings.

Thoughts?

Very nice mod, I am using it in every game I play. I just have one question: I have found out that sometimes a city state that is my ally, suddenly becomes ally with someone else and I can't win it back.

Is it because the other civ has more influence than me on it? If so, is there some way to see how much more than me he/she has?

There's no way to know exactly how much unless you use the omniscient version of DiploWillard. A good guess would be somewhere around the cost of one or two diplomatic missions (50-100), as that's probably what the AI used to buy away your CS. A great way to hurt a rival civ's attempts on your CS is war- that drops their influence with your allied CS to -60!

Glad you like the mod! I'll be back in town tomorrow to do some more bugfixing and post a working version on modbuddy.

Take care,
G

I'm having a lot of fun with this mod, but I did have a question:

It seems like this mod makes it very difficult to have any sort of diplomacy in the early going, except by luck of the draw. For example, until you get Writing and then have time to build a Messenger and travel him all the way to a city-state, there's practically no way to improve your standing with a city-state unless they offer you a quest.

For example, in my recent game, I met Oslo in the early going. I dealt with some barbarians for them, and got a nice boost, but then more and more time went by, and I didn't have Writing yet, and they didn't offer any more quests. So, I lost my friendship status with them, and lacked any way to bump them up to "allies." Since it was fairly early in the game, there was no way I could afford the cost of a diplomatic mission.

In vanilla, of course, you could throw 250 gold at them to keep things friendly.

It might be nice to have some way to maintain or improve relationships in the early game. One example might be to allow gifts of gold, just not have them affect the friendship so much. For example, 10 gold would prevent the friendship number from going down for one turn. It wouldn't INCREASE it, so you could never BUY friends, but it would prevent you from losing ground with them.

I realize Writing isn't all that far down the technology tree, but in the early going, there are so many critical building tasks, that it's very risky (IMO) to spend 5~7 turns building a messenger when you are in desperate need of settlers, workers, military, and basic buildings.

Thoughts?

That sounds about right, so far as risk and cost are concerned! I wanted communication between civs and CSs to be slow in the early game because, well, communication was pretty slow back then. Once I get three cities (if I am going for diplo victory) I usually dedicate one to diplomatic tasks (Forum, FO, diplo units, etc.) for the remainder of the game. By late game (industrial era) you may want to dedicate two cities, so as to maximize your chances.

You are welcome to change the cost values of units and buildings if you would like- just let me know and I can give you instructions.
G

I'm back!

2.7 posted here and on mod browser. Repackaged 2.6.1 via modbuddy to fix .dds issue and some small tweaks. Please inform me ASAP if the version here and on the browser are not functioning correctly.

Also, please report back to me of any mod-related crashes, oddities, balancing problems and, most importantly, the number of AI-CS alliances being made per game. Firaxis changed more than I first realized concerning CS diplomacy, and I may need to adjust the AI values to compensate.

Thanks!
G

I'm getting the below error when I try to start a game with CSD 2.7 from the mod browser. I also have PlayWithMe and What Would Gandhi do enabled.

Just curious, if I update from 2.6 to 2.7, will the mod affect a game I've already started with 2.6?

I installed latest version, translated Diplopopup and Philantropy (adding a Language_IT_IT section) and fixed a few typos in Gametextit.

Now italian translation is complete.

Buon anno! (Happy new year!)

http://www.2shared.com/document/8J_NG84h/GameTextIt.html
http://www.2shared.com/document/Mpn16tC-/Philanthropy.html
http://www.2shared.com/document/6W_dJ8Vi/DiploPopup.html

EDIT: Files saved again as utf-8 xml

Awesome- I'll add this to the next mod version. Thanks for the support! I'm assuming you like the mod, since you took so much time to translate it? :)
G

I love this mod!

I play civ in my native language and just felt that playing such a good mod in a way that makes civ look worse was a total waste!

I did that between real works editing xml files by hand in a linux console, I'm sure there is a better way using modbuddy and such, but as long as it takes three files...
I would like to translate the text display on mod browser page when selecting this mod, does it support localization?

Thank you for your job.
Would you like to get localized screenshots for topic's first post?

If you are still taking ideas:
If there are all of these diplomats running around, would it be possible to create assassins whose only purpose is to seek out diplomats from other civs?
Perhaps experience points can be tied into the amount of diplomats they take out and how influential those diplomats would have been?

If you are still taking ideas:
If there are all of these diplomats running around, would it be possible to create assassins whose only purpose is to seek out diplomats from other civs?
Perhaps experience points can be tied into the amount of diplomats they take out and how influential those diplomats would have been?

Lovely idea! :goodjob:

Somehow a fight could be btw diplomats and assassins,
maybe according to their tier level (ass. should be tiered, too),
maybe they (diplos, ass.s) xould unique promotions to counter each other, too

Gazebo, is it possible to have info about how many influence points
the civ that is allied with a CS has with that given CS?

You see, I was allied with Venice, but then Egypt took it from me
I now send my units to take it back but it is just so
that I get the 55 points and the bar is blue but still Venice is not coming back to me.

If I saw what score I have to reach, it would be more fun...

Gazebo, is it possible to have info about how many influence points
the civ that is allied with a CS has with that given CS?

You see, I was allied with Venice, but then Egypt took it from me
I now send my units to take it back but it is just so
that I get the 55 points and the bar is blue but still Venice is not coming back to me.

If I saw what score I have to reach, it would be more fun...

Look at CivWillard. Might help with this.

Edit: look at CivWillardCheat if you really want to know...though it is cheating.

Did some tinkering with the assassins idea last night and this morning. I can create a low-strength, high movement unit with the same broken invisibility system as submarines, however that's where the novelty of assassins ends for now. The 'hidden nationality' promotion doesn't work (so your spies would be identifiable) and the invisibility isn't really viable on land (as you are constantly in range of an enemy unit, and thus easily spotted).

A tiered system would work, however there would be little difference between having a spy stationed to defend a border from diplomatic entrance v. a warrior/archer/tank etc.

Until Firaxis makes invisibility more useful for land units (like spies in Civ IV) and fixes the hidden nationality promotion, I'm at a loss.

On the bright side, seems the AI is using the diplomatic system well, no? Otherwise you guys wouldn't be asking about this!!!

Take care,
G

Top Bottom