The City States of Greece

The atmosphere in Athens was tense after the Archon was announced. Most people did not know what would happen. Would the new Syntagma bring about the dominance of Greece or would the Archon drive the City of Athens into despair. Only time would tell.

Spoiler :
A man of many nations
I woke up in a dark room. I did not know where I was. My arm was killing me and my head felt like it could explode. I could hear the sounds of warriors outside. The spoke a language that was fast. Where on earth am I? I got out of my bed and walked outside. The view was amazing. A mountain range in view with a crystal clear lake next to it. These people’s houses looked beautiful. Their clothing was simple and they wore big hats. A lady came up to me and spoke very fast. I could not understand. She looked at me funnily for a while. “Who are you?” she said. “You…You speak Greek?” “Yes, now answer” Her hat covered her face but her voice sound like the Kingdom of Zeus. “My name is Marios Mickzter Agisilaos. Where am I?” “You are in the Kingdom of the great Japanese Empire. We found you lying in the snow. You were brutally battered and your arm was broken. But I am not a doctor for no reason. Our emperor wants to see you immediately. Go!” I walked down from the house and into the city streets. “By the way, what’s your name?” “Yumi... and welcome to Kyoto.” Her face was visible for the first time, and it was so beautiful that not even Medusa can stone her to death.

“You look the same as the others” the deep, assertive voice said. “Are you a spy? I do not trust you Gaijins.” “Others?” I was shocked… were there other Greeks? “Yes, others. They look like you. He said he was a Prinkpas or something. You look surprised. Banished were you?” He seemed calmer. “Yes I was, but that is a long story. Do you know where these others came from?” “Hasty one you are. Yes I do know. But you will have to do something for me first. Then I shall tell you.” His moustache was very long. He did not speak so fast like the others. I thought about it. I had to do it. “Fine. I will do what you want.” “You are to travel to India, and give Maharajah Rajesh this letter. It is of up most importance. Come back and I shall tell you the direction of the Gaijins. Go, those Egyptians are going to pay.” I was given a horse and set off to India. Can Zeus please just get me home?

Two sunsets passed and I think I am lost. In the middle of the jungle with nowhere to go. As I walked along, giving my horse a rest, I saw many exotic things. Long curved yellow things hanged from bushes. It felt smooth. I opened one and took a bite. It tasted sweet and soft. I looked around and I saw the very hair of Medusa. A long, brown snake hissed in-front of me. Its ears stretched from the sides, and looked me in the eyes. Out of nowhere it spat, and its venom went straight into my throat. I struggled to breathe as my body started to shake and I could not control my body. I fell and once again I was in another sleep.

“Welcome to India my friend. I see you recovered nicely.” His voice was very friendly and he seemed nice. “Where's Rajesh. I need to give something to him.” “Do not call him Rajesh you pardesi. He is Maharajah to you. Give me the letter, you won’t be leaving soon. You are a prisoner of India now. Hope you enjoy your stay. Your sacrifice to the gods is in 3 days.” Could this get any worse?

The archon controls EVERYTHING!!! Next thing you know we'll become a facsict country.:(

ooc: The Archon controls everything because at the moment the only other person is a descendant of the person he deposed, and that descendant is a minor ;). Once there are more people in Athens I will probably delegate duties to them in the manner of ministers in GaP, but until then its impractical to craft constitutionally some elaborate system of ministers when the game lacks the people to fill the positions.

I just want to point out that it is possible for NPCs to hold governmental positions if you create away to select them. You could Lord them (making more noble families), or even allow commoners to be in the positions.

ooc: I know, but that is rather difficult as I have no idea who the main NPC's are at the moment. (am I missing something?)

The kyrios of the Demandroi strode into the agora.
"People of Athens, as many have predicted the enmity between the Fotismenoi and Megakyrioi has come to bloodshed. For the time being the Megakyrioi have prevailed and imposed on us an unjust syntagma but for new we must endure for the good of Athens. I implore you not to move against Agammemnon, the city is to unstable. In time a fair syntagma will replace the obscenity that pools all power in the hands of the tyrannos or we will leave and found a polis on just principles but until that day comes, Athens must come first."

ooc: I note Filli Noctus that the syntagma as it stands is in all practicality teh same in distribution of power as Tambiens, with his "advisors". The fact is both constitutions give nigh absolute power to the reigning monarch in consideration that only two players are in the game. I contest that I am a tyrant and that my Syntagma is tyrannical. A tyrant is...

"one who rules without law, looks to his own advantage rather than that of his subjects, and uses extreme and cruel tactics—against his own people as well as others".

Such things I have not done thus far, and such to call me a tyrant as of present is preemptive and erroneous (to legitimately have basis for such claims you have to wait and see what my actions towards the people are). Indeed I could easily point out that Tam more closely fit the role of a tyrant in that he used cruel tactics against me in my legitimate and legal challenge against his rule, namely murdering my characters family. Also in consideration that another less accurate definition of a tyrant is one who siezes power illegaly, that is simply false since there was no legal basis for anyone to succeed Prota Fotismenos, and all I did was merely challenge Ainos to the position, which when he refused to meet me in an honourable duel turned into a vulgar brawl of assasination and collateral death (on my side that last part).

Public Speech
(Homer Tambien Fotismenos; before leaving to the wilds)

I may only be a child Athenians, but I can see the signs of the beginning of the end of this city. The Megakyrioi have control now, and shall make you labor not for your gain but for theirs. The new Syntagma that the Usurper has proposed is what can be expected of an autocrat without a shred of concern for your well being. I bid you see, dear Athenians, what Usurper plans for this great city.

I vow before Athena that one day we shall return.

May the Megakyrioi burn in a hell of their own making.

Public Speech

People of Athens, as some of you may be aware I have called a council of local community leaders to Athens to discuss your problems and the current state of the nation. This meeting has occured and from it I have found several issues that need addressing. Firstly I have discovered that the tax breaks I had ordered as regent have been innefective due to a lack of commerce in the nation. To rectify this I thus order an increase in production on the wine fields (move citizen from one of the wheat to the wines) to stimulate commercial interchange while retaining the tax breaks. This shall greatly increase commerce in Athens while ensuring that production remains stable and keeping a surplus food production.

On more local matters, I have heard the problems of the inhabitants of the hill district, and I would like to assure them that their wellbeing is of concern to me. Once our worker group is trained and ready for improvement the hills will be the first district to be improved, to ensure that this districts lot is improved. To the inhabitants of the former Fotismenoi lands, your lands will also be improved in time once the worker group is trained, ensuring that your businesses and your production is greatly enhanced.

To the people of the city of Athens itself. I hear your concerns in regards to defence. I would like you to know that I share those same concerns. a military unit using advanced technology has already been pushed forward in the list of priorities to ensure that these concerns are met.

Now to other matters. I sent the militia to retrieve the documents of the Fotismenoi before they could be destroyed and have discovered some disturbing facts. Namely that Ainos Fotismenos had paid for a mysterious man to do "personal work" for him, not only using his own money but also dipping into state funds that rightly should of been used for the benefit of the people. It is fairly clear to me therefore that Ainos Fotismenos used state funds to pay for the poisoning of my wife and children. I shall divulge the whole report to the public to ensure that the public is fully aware of the recent actions of Ainos Fotismenos prior to his downfall. Interested persons can look at the document itself at the office of the city militia, who I assure you can guarantee its veracity, as they are the ones who recovered it.

-

Recovered Fotismenoi Document:

Spoiler :
You send forth the militia of Athens to find out what had happened in the Fotismenos house before their fall from power. They find remnants of a training ground for fighting, and they find evidence that Ainos was studying other languages. Their last discovery, and the most interesting, was that Ainos had ordered some kind of personal work done for him by a mysterious man. It was said he payed a hefty sum for this work, and even dipped into the treasury to do so.

-

Furthermore in consideration of the peoples needs I have decided to ennoble and appoint to advisory positions, Onesimos community leader of the hill people, Makarios the winemaker of the winegrowing district and Hesiod the merchant of the city district. Onesimos I appoint to the position of domestic advisor, he shall be charged with informing me of the peoples needs and desires to ensure that no one is neglected or ignored as occured under the reign of the Fotismenois. Makarios I appoint to the position of cultural advisor, he shall be charged with informing me of peoples opinions on matters cultural and in regards to social policy. I also charge him with giving me reports on the overally cultural development of Athens. Hesiod I appoint to the role of financial advisor, he shall be charged with keeping tabs on the state treasury and giving me regular reports on the empires economic situation. I also charge him with reporting to me the specific economic situations of each district of Athens. These three honest men are by virtue of their newly ennobled status members of the Areopagus.

To the former fotismenoi lands I assure you that you will not be forgotten. I promise you that I shall personally take a special interest in your wellbeing and will ensure that your interests are taken into account with the advice of these newly apppointed officials, consider your advocate myself, as your wellbeing is of special importance to the good of the whole state. I do say however that once the situation stabilises and new complexities arise further representatives to the areopagus will be appointed, and when that time comes your communities will be represented by a great advocate.

-

ooc:

:move citizen from wheat to wine
:appoint Hesiod, Makarios and Onesimos to advisory positions and ennoble them thus entitling them to sit on the Areopagus
:continue the existing tax breaks for the continued duration.
:make available report on misuse of public funds by Ainos to the public

• Tambien has gained 4 Prestige for his story!
  • Mickzter has gained 3 Prestige for his story!
  • Aaronius has gained 6 Prestige for his story!

After the assassination of the Fotismenos head, the family was banished from Athens by the Megakyrios. The Fotismenos was seen leaving the city with a large group of people, no one knows where they went. The populace view the new leaders as just, but are still weary that they might bring the wrath of the gods upon them. Recent speeches from the Megakyrios family leaders have relieved this weariness somewhat and have also made the people angry towards the Fotismenos.

Notes:
-Stories are going to be worth more prestige after this, currently they aren't significant enough of a reward. Right now I can't accurately judge how much would be appropriate. So don't be disheartened those who write, you will be getting bigger rewards!

The Athenaead

Chapter IV

-

The regency of Agamemnon Megakyrios was considered a time of peace in Athens, until of course Ainos Fotismenos claimed the regency for himself. As all of you know this Fotismenos was hardly the man of his father and thought himself priveleged to claim the position, which Agamemnon forfeited reluctantly. Either way this single act of arrogance sparked a dispute between the Fotismenoi and the Megakyrioi that continued through the years lasting until Prota's death which was the spark igniting a firestorm.

At this time the records become hazy as to the precise circumstances of the dispute, indeed there is evidence of the destruction of records in the archives of state, but what is clear is that Agamemnon considered a hereditary succession to Ainos completely unnaceptable considering the previous insults against him and as such claimed the throne, challenging Ainos to a duel in light of the lack of a constitutional succession directive. This duel unfortunately never took place and the Fotismenoi resorted to other means in attempts to defend their crown. This is made plainly clear by the burial shrine of the Megakyrioi Elektra, Athanatos and Athena, which clearly pronounces that the Fotismenoi murdered them, who were innocent of involvement in the dispute. The precise words at the entrance of the shrine being

MURDERED BY AINOS FOTISMENOI THE COWARD, BY CRAVEN POISON.

In the end though, despite these sad events, the Megakyrioi triumphed and Ainos was found dead in his palace. The two schools of thought on the matter hold that his death was caused by either an assasination by the Megakyrioi, or by an attack by a disgruntled member of the palace staff, angered at Ainos' rather unsavoury character.

Regardless, Agamemnon then swiftly rose to the position of Archon, removing the title of prinkipas from the head of the athenian state while renaming the Megalis council the Areopagus after a hill in Athens where it would meet from that time henceforth. Agamemnon also wrote a new constitution for Athens which corrected the flaws in the Protean document while retaining the same overall idea of aristocracy all the while cutting some needless detail regarding lesser offices by simply allowing the Archon to appoint positions to members of the Areopagus without the constraints of having positions bound constitutionally within defined offices.

Agamemnon made good use of this new constitution early on in his reign, appointing community leaders from three districts to the areopagus and giving them advisory positions to help him run the country. From the archaeological record, votive offerings from the ancient shrines and ancient graffito's attest that this was a popular move, differentiating Agamemnon from the more autocratic reign of the Fotismenoi. In other areas too Agamemnon was active, as he is remembered as a military man, who pushed forward the development of the athenian army in light of the threat of Japan and as he took council with the peoples representatives to hear their concerns (a first!). He also took the opportunity to dispel any doubts as to the legitimacy of deposing the Fotismenoi, for as history attests that he revealed the documents of Ainos Fotismenos to the public to account for the veracity of claims that Ainos murdered his family and that he was unsuitable to rule. Unfortutely the precise contents of these documents no longer exist, lost to the mists of time, indeed all we have is rumour, with local legends in various districts saying everything that Ainos misused public funds, to that he had indecent relations with a japanese princesss. Either way all evidence, and indeed the continued national loathing in some quarters of the Fotismenoi show that the people of Athens quickly became enraged at the misdeeds of the House Fotismenos that were revealed.

That said, there remained some discontent as to the Megakyrioi, as is only natural in the circumstances of the time. Evidence suggests the people feared the Megakyrioi had angered the gods and that in some quarters people were still aggrieved that the Fotismenoi were banished, for despite Ainos' failings and unpopularity his fathers wisdom and good rule meant the family still had some level of prestige and popularity. Other also appear to have disliked the new constitution claiming it was overly autocratic and put all power into the hands of the Archon, however these voices were insignificant and appear to have made no impact on the minds of the majority within this time period. Thus to conclude this chapter, overall the Megakyrioi were well on their way to forming the potential of a lasting athenian hegemony

-

Spoiler :

~Pottery from the time of Agamemnon Megakyrios, Archon of Athens

ooc: history is written by the victors Tambien, so naturally the Athenead is coloured with a bias against the Fotismenoi. That said if I end up being cast out and despised I will be forced to write a self-deprecating history for that in light of that rule of history :p

OOC: which is good, since it would be quite annoying to find everything otherwise :goodjob:

A strange man has entered our city and joined our campfire. This is the tale he tells.

Odyssey of Ekvallei
Part I: Janjavata

Spoiler :
I am Ekvallei. I am Cast Out. My real name is not important, as my tale will show. My real name is something of my past, that I shall only answer to upon my death. I am Ekvallei. I once was a member of a great tribe to the north. I was happy in my time with them, my native people. My native land was beautiful. It was a land of verdant green forests and hills, and on one of the rolling slopes we grew the grapes with which we made daru pivo. The grapes were luscious, and filled with sweet nectar. I remember harvest time, the small purple orbs contrasting wonderfully with the dark green of the vines. I remember the laughing children stealing grapes from the baskets of the gatherers, and running away with their mouths stained purple. I remember the parents laughing and joking at the children’s antics, and then pretending to not notice when more children scampered up behind them. I truly believe to this day that the children believed that the parents did not know what was happening. These were the days when Ghara was still a happy place. These were the days before Vartana.

I had grown up in Ghara, and had rarely traveled more than a hundred hills from the village. Even then, it was only to gather the grapes for the annual Festival. I was born the child of a prosperous and jolly fisherman and a kind and considerate mother of five. I was her sixth and last child. My siblings were jealous of me from the beginning, because my mother and father seemed to dote on me. What I asked for, I got, while they were told they had to earn what they wanted. I was lucky in another way, although at the time I did not know it. Unlike my older brothers, my father did not try to groom me to be a fisherman and follow in his footsteps. Instead, he allowed me to choose what I wanted to do with my life. I went through many phases, one time even thinking of becoming a seamstress! Naturally I became the laughingstock of the village, and I promptly dropped that as a career choice.

When I reached the age of fourteen, though, I had settled on one thing. I wanted to be an explorer! I could use the sea skills that my father had taught me, as he had all of his sons, and even recruit some of my brothers to come along. The sea and the lands that must lie beyond it seemed to whisper to me, drawing me towards them like a desert animal to water. I wanted to travel the world, and see everything that lay beyond the horizon. Explorers in my village were rare, however. Most of the people of Ghara were happy with their life, and I only managed to find 3 other young men to follow me out into the unknown. They were Eka, my navigator, Be, my sail expert, and Trana, my mapmaker and cargo master. We left Ghara on a small fishing dirigible that we had managed to buy when I was 18.

I had promised to marry my sweetheart, Prema, when we got back. I wanted to make a good husband, and to do that I had to stay put. I decided that I should satisfy my wanderlust before settling down, and Prema agreed with me. Prema was a tall young woman, 17 years of age. Her piercing green eyes were perfectly accented by her dark olive skin and wavy dark brown hair. Her favorite dress was checkered turquoise and white, and stretched all the way down to her ankles. She was beautiful.

The day when my world began to unravel began like any other. We had been sailing south for about three days, and by then we had settled into a routine. We would get up, Eka would check our position, Be would check the sails and make any adjustments needed, and Trana would catalogue our supplies. When that was done, Trana would bring out some dried grapes and a glass of daru pivo for everyone. On this day we took a long time finishing our breakfast. We should have looked at the sky. It is common knowledge that storms approach quickly at see. Regardless, we did see the storm when Be got up to relieve himself. He shouted out, and we all started. When we saw the storm, we began to panic.

It was close, somewhere around 200 hills. We could also tell that it was a bad one. Flashes emanated from the front of the storm, and the black clouds moved menacingly closer. Within minutes we noticed that the sea was rising behind our boat, and realized that it was too late. The only thing we could do was tie everything down, tie ourselves to the ship, and pray that we would survive. When the storm reached us, it became clear that this was no ordinary disturbance.

It was a janjavata, one of the worst storms possible. Storms like this could produce walls of water 50 hill heights tall that would crash upon the mainland to help the winds erase whatever stood in its way. Janjavatas had been known to destroy much larger ships than these, and were the inhabitants of fishermen’s nightmares. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life. The winds began to pick up as we moved further into the storm, and the rain began to feel like nails hitting our face. We had to screw our eyes shut to protect them from the water that had become our enemy. We didn’t see the wave heading towards us. Even if we had, it wouldn’t have mattered. We could never have maneuvered our way out of this situation. All we felt was the boat tilting, and the water washing over the deck. I heard a scream before I was engulfed by the ocean.

People started to gather around the table. They listen to an adventure that most thought to be fake. But it was true. It was my story.

Spoiler :
Escape from a hell within a paradise
Another sunset comes to Delhi. Another day I am kept in captivity. For what reason, I do not know. I came here 3 sunsets ago, on a mission for the Emperor of Japan. All I had to do was deliver a stupid message. All I want to do is find Athens. I do not think that will happen anymore. Besides all the aggressiveness towards me, Delhi is a very wonderful city. Its people work hard, and they have fascinating monuments that honour their many Gods. Its city booms with activity and life. It has communal pools, gorgeous temples and brilliant markets. They sell everything here. From clothes to gold to silk (this is very soft and smooth). Everything except for cows. The cow is a very holy thing here. No one eats a cow. Even if you hurt a cow, they will sentence you to death. All in all, this is a very wonderful city. Today is the last time I will see though. They are going to kill me today. But I plan on escaping and running away to Athens. Where Athens is, I do not know. But I will find it. I will not die. I will escape from this hell in paradise.

“Prisoner 16. Where is prisoner 16? Where are you? Show yourself you scum.” He had a deep voice, which did not sound Indian. I had a knife in my hand, which I crafted out of my bed frames. I did not have a plan, but I knew one thing. That I will kill every single person in this city if I have to. I touched the end of my knife. It was sharp. A trickle of blood came down the side. Good I thought. I heard his footsteps come down the hall. “Hey, how many times do I have to call you?” he said as he opened the gate. “You are a mader ch…” he stopped half way. “What’s wrong? Looks like you have seen ghost.” I grinned. It what seemed like a split second, I jumped at him, wrapped my left arm around his neck and started to choke him. “This is for my father” I stabbed him in heart, and made sure it went deep. He fell down like a rock. I took his axe and left. He was an Indian warrior. Not a very good one though. Looking at my surroundings, i thought to myself. How do I get out of here?

Getting out of the prison was like getting out of a maze. Except there were guards in every corner. To make it worse there were archers outside standing on walls. This is impossible. There is no way I will get out of here. I walked like a butterfly. Swift and quiet. “Hey you, get back here now!” Oh no, now they are going to sound the alarm. “Guards! Guards! We have a loose prisoner!” I ran like the wind. I did not know where to but I ran. I saw a window in front of me and head straight for it. The sounds of breaking glass alerted the city. The entire city of Delhi was after me. I fell two stories down and landed on some hay. I smiled, because in front of me were horses. One in particular was white. A stunning, beautiful white that made me think of Eresos. I got on it and we rode away. She was faster than any other horse I have rode before. We ran across grasslands, plains, hills and deserts. For days we rode. I had escaped the hell within a paradise. I was free, and I was on route to Athens. My safe haven. My new home.

Public Announcement

-

I have discussed finances with Hesiod, the new financial advisor and with the civic beareaucrats who have been retained from the Fotismenoi government and I have discovered further evidence of the incompetence of the Fotismenoi regime. Namely I have found to my horror that the drachmas allocated to public works and security were simply left to collect dust in coffers, instead of being used for the benefit of the people.

As such reason and love of Athens have led me to immediately put these monies to good use in the following way

-

BUDGET OF THE ARCHONATE OF ATHENS

-

security expenditure:

50% of the total budget shall go to various security enterprises. Expenditures shall include 30% of the funding being used to fund a police force and the cities militia to ensure order in Athens and all its territories, while a proportion naturally shall be retained in a coffer for emergencies in the future.

~ The separate 10% security tax I add shall also go to aid in funding a well equipped and efficient city militia and police force.

Civic Expenditures

10% shall be expended on a series of courts that shall arbitrate disputes and judge minor crimes.
10% shall go to the maintanence of any general services or infrastructure that requires it.

National Reserve

10% shall go to the coffers of the Archonate

Archons Discretionary Reserve

15% shall go to the Archon for use as he wishes.

Divinity Expenditures

5% shall go to maintaining the local shrines to the gods and supporting the clerics of athens who manage those shrines and their sacred rites. This is to ensure that Athens pleases the gods and ensures divine favour in all its endeavours.

---

ooc: These divisions in expenditure occur after regular payments of unit maintanence. Ergo the remainder from said expenditure goes to these things.

Also for the campsite greeks outside the borders of Athens waiting for immigration to assess their documents before they join glorious Athens, I note that the Archons discretionary reserve is 5% less than the 20% Tambien allocated to the Prinkipas, ergo himself ;)

Top Bottom