Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Look here for your answer.

• Is it a capital or not? Favor upon non-capital cities.
  • Population city Size; favor on higher population
  • Does the city have already a religion or not? Pagan cities are favored.
  • I forgot if there were other factors.
In a nutshell, the RNG-decided position for the Holy City is affected by these following factors:

1. Where can I see how many turns a launched AI spaceship has remaining? Also on normal speed how do I calculate how long it takes in general? I know a completed ship is 10 turns, but nothing about how a missing engine affects the turn count.

2. If a vassal or a colony refuses to trade me techs ("becoming too advanced") this is a bug right?

1. Where can I see how many turns a launched AI spaceship has remaining? Also on normal speed how do I calculate how long it takes in general? I know a completed ship is 10 turns, but nothing about how a missing engine affects the turn count.

2. If a vassal or a colony refuses to trade me techs ("becoming too advanced") this is a bug right?

1) I think all the information is in the Victory Conditions Tab.
Regarding the logic of the victory delay (aka spaceship travel time):

The base # of turns is 10 when all the parts are done.

Spoiler :

Code:
<iVictoryDelayTurns>10</iVictoryDelayTurns>

The travel is inflated by a percentage of the missing components of the spaceship over the total.

Code:
iExtraDelayPercent = (iVictoryThreshold - iCount) * igetVictoryDelayPercent /iVictoryThreshold

iVictoryThreshold: It is the maximum of a type of spaceship component that has to be built to be allowed to launch. Info readily available in-game. For instance, 5 SS Casings.

igetVictoryDelayPercent: A modifier for two exclusive parts of the spaceship. The value is 50 for a thruster. 100 for an engine. Other parts get 0 as value. It increases their value regarding travel speed compared to other components. Makes sense.

iCount: The actual number of a particular type of spaceship parts built in the game.

iVictoryThreshold: The minimum threshold needed to be able to launch the spaceship. For instance, one engine minimum to launch. Info readily available in-game.

Code:
TravelTimeDelay=[COLOR="DarkGreen"][B] 10[/B][/COLOR] * (100 + iExtraDelayPercent)) / 100;

Afterwards, the first formula result is entered in the second formula above to get the final TravelTimeDelay.

2) It depends of which version of Civ4. That is why people in IT always repeat the asker to display their condition to allow the responder to answer as precisely as possible.
If you play Vanilla or Warlords versions, then you'll meet this problem. In BTS, it was discarded for free tech trade from a vassal. If you play a mod, perhaps the modder has implemented new restrictions.

If you play Vanilla or Warlords versions, then you'll meet this problem. In BTS, it was discarded for free tech trade from a vassal. If you play a mod, perhaps the modder has implemented new restrictions.

Thanks for explanation. It was standard BTS-3.17 with BUG mod.

1) I think all the information is in the Victory Conditions Tab.

That was the first place I looked. Unfortunately it wasn't. It did say how the spaceship was launched (that is was missing an engine) and it did tell me when it was launched, so now I can calculate it myself.

After the spaceship has been launched the remaining time appears in the upper right corner of the main game screen. I reread the post, didn't pay attention to the comment about AI spaceship. Has I have never had to deal with an AI launching a spaceship on me, I could be wrong. Has was stated by another poster, the info should appear in the victory screen.

hello i was hoping someone could help me by explaining how to replace a units art in the game to an other one? example a tank unit to look like a mech unit without changing its stats.

Why does religion specific wonders add gold directly to commerce output, rather than being converted to beakers like tile coins (e.g. cottages)? Are these wonders, and corporation HQ's, the only buildings which does that?

Also, why doesn't it say in the description of the AP that state religion buildings produce 2 hammers? I think it is the case, also, that this applies to religious buildings for all civs (as I've noticed sometimes that some religious buildings suddenly produce hammers). I presume this is the case with the spiral minaret (for gold), and university of sankore (for beakers) as well, that it benefits all civs.

As a followup to the previous question, does religious buildings (with the spiral minaret) add to commerce directly, or does it get converted to beakers?

Unfortunately, CIV uses two similar icons for commerce (the coin) and gold (stacks of coins). However, they are not the same thing. The "tile coins" are producing commerce, which you can convert to gold, beakers, espionage, or culture. The religious building wonders are producing gold not commerce.

When the AP is built, it is for the state religion of the builder at the time that it is built. It adds two hammers to all buildings of that religion for all empires starting on the turn it is completed, until it becomes obsolete, which happens when the empire that owns it discovers Media. Once it becomes obsolete the extra hammers disappear.

The Spiral Minaret and Sankore work in the same way for gold and beakers respectively, except they only apply to the empire that owns them and they stop working if the empire changes religions or goes to free religion.

Spiral Minaret produces gold not commerce. Sankore produces beakers not commerce.

Thank you.

When monasteries become obsolete (scientific method), I presume they stop producing hammers, gold and research.

Has anyone ever seen a colony win the game? I've once had lincoln as a colony and he built UN and had a vote for himself to win diplo. He was some way off though.

Has anyone ever seen a colony win the game? I've once had lincoln as a colony and he built UN and had a vote for himself to win diplo. He was some way off though.

That would be an interesting thing to try and test...I suppose you would have to conquer all but one Civ, make a colony, conquer the last Civ, and then just sit around and wait for them to build UN. Then you could vote for the colony. You would probably have to disable Time Victory though. In fact, it might make it easier to disable all victories except Diplo, just to "force" them to win that way.

Pretty sure I've seen people talking about vassals winning space victories - and colonies are functionally equivalent to vassals, right?

Thank you.

When monasteries become obsolete (scientific method), I presume they stop producing hammers, gold and research.

Correct. However, they continue to produce culture and allow building missionaries.

The Spiral Minaret and Sankore work in the same way for gold and beakers respectively, except they only apply to the empire that owns them and they stop working if the empire changes religions or goes to free religion.
i could have sworn that UoS and SM keep working if you change state religion, just that the new state religion buildings get the bonus.

i could have sworn that UoS and SM keep working if you change state religion, just that the new state religion buildings get the bonus.

I as well am pretty sure that this is the case.

Does that apply to the hammers from AP too? And can the AP-religion itself change if you have the wonder and switch religion?

Top Bottom